Half Marathon :)

2»

Replies

• bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    I also agree about not starting out too fast..I had a friend who would literally pull me back at the start of a race. Once you start running longer distances, you'll be reminded of this advice..race day may be different because of all the excitement. Lots of big races have pacers that hold signs - hang out with that crowd the first couple of miles.

One other piece of advice is to strength train and cross train and get a foam roller and stretch after your runs (something I often neglect). Most training plans will suggest this as well. Runners world has a good program and encourages cross training. Your knees will thank you.
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 339 Member
    I'm thinking about a half marathon as well and have looked at some training plans. For me though, who's only really interested in finishing and not all that interested in time, I think I'm just going to increase my long runs rather than worry about any other kind of structured training (e.g. each week I might just do a fastish 5K, a moderate 10K and an easy longer run). I run 10K fairly regularly and do the occasional longer run - to 12 or 13K - however last night I did a 10 mile run which convinced me that as long as I manage my pace properly I should be ok for a half-marathon at maybe a little under 2hrs 15m.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    niblue wrote: »
    I'm thinking about a half marathon as well and have looked at some training plans. For me though, who's only really interested in finishing and not all that interested in time, I think I'm just going to increase my long runs rather than worry about any other kind of structured training (e.g. each week I might just do a fastish 5K, a moderate 10K and an easy longer run). I run 10K fairly regularly and do the occasional longer run - to 12 or 13K - however last night I did a 10 mile run which convinced me that as long as I manage my pace properly I should be ok for a half-marathon at maybe a little under 2hrs 15m.

There are quite a few training plans that cap their long run around 10 miles (some people will go the full 13.1 or longer in training as a confident booster - I did before my first HM - but it's probably not necessary) Sounds like you shouldn't have any problems.
  • niblue
    There are quite a few training plans that cap their long run around 10 miles (some people will go the full 13.1 or longer in training as a confident booster - I did before my first HM - but it's probably not necessary) Sounds like you shouldn't have any problems.

Cheers. I felt fine at the end of the 10 miles last night so am fairly confident I could have continued on to the half marathon distance at the same pace. I don't have a half-marathon scheduled yet (I have a 10K in Feb - my first race) but will probably register for one next year. I will definitely do the full HM distance in a training run before that though - as a confidence booster as you mentioned.
  • niblue
    In fact I've just gone and entered my first half-marathon, the Edinburgh one in May next year!
  • Naija82
    Naija82 Posts: 345 Member
    That's even enough time to train for a full marathon so you should be fine especially as you have some running under your belt.

I don't have much to add as you've gotten plenty of brilliant advice above but really like the Hal Higdon plans.

Good Luck!!
  • cosmonew
    cosmonew Posts: 513 Member
    Thanks for the Hal Higdon plan. I too need to get a 1/2 under my belt and now I just need to pick one 12 weeks away and get started.