Baked chicken breast calories??

Options
My seasoned/baked chicken breasts show a range of 130cal/4oz to 190cal/4oz...any suggestions what's most accurate?

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Did you weigh it? what entries are you using from the food database? Is this something homemade?
  • AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Did you weigh it? what entries are you using from the food database? Is this something homemade?

Yeah it's homemade. Im just curious what is more accurate for 4oz of baked chicken breast in terms of calories.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    It depends on what it is seasoned with and really, how moist it is. I always go by raw weight and add in whatever seasonings I use.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Weigh it raw. Use the USDA entry for raw chicken breast. Log anything else added to it seperately
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    AspenDan wrote: »
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

Yeah it's homemade. Im just curious what is more accurate for 4oz of baked chicken breast in terms of calories.

Log all the items separately.. Weighted chicken and spices and what ever you put on it. That will give you precise calorie count (you could put it in the recipe builder).. or you could take an average of the two weights and call it day..
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,146 Member
    Options
    Use the recipe builder.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    The only way 4 oz chicken breast is getting up to 190 calories is if there's cooking oil included.

Weighing raw is best, but even that has some error due to the way many processors "plump" chicken breasts with salt water. If you want to get a good estimate so that you can weigh it cooked in future, weigh a whole batch raw, cook them then weigh again cooked (on different plate, obviously). That will let you know how much water weight is lost in cooking.

The majority of seasonings (i.e. herbs and spices) have negligible calories in the quantities you'd have per serving. As long as there's no oil, mayo or similar in them.