tfl hell - any tips or suggestions?

Options
canadianlbs
canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
edited October 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
i've got perennially tight/tender tfl muscles, and i'd love to do more than just palliative stuff with the lax ball. the yoga pose they call seated cow face helped since it went straight to my i.t. bands, but it doesn't feel like it reached the ground zero zone very much.

i have trouble finding stretches that properly isolate them. it feels like most of the time i'm just targeting other muscles in the same zone.

anyone have any tips or tricks? any related or synergistic muscles it's good to work on at the same time?

TIA.

Replies

• esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    If you've been doing a lot of SMR work and it doesn't seem to be helping much - you may want to consider looking at your alignment. If your body is out of alignment it is going to put straight on muscles. For instance, when my shoulder goes out it causes the front part to be super tight and pain to happen below my shoulder blade. Putting the LAX ball into the front part of my shoulder helps reduce pain, but the issue doesn't resolve until the Chiro puts it back in place. After a few months of adjustments I've been going much longer with out issues.

Also had this issue with my knee relating to my pelvis being rotated. Foam rolling helped temporarily, but the issue didn't resolve until the alignment was fixed.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    ^^^ thanks. these are good thoughts and similar to ones that i've had myself. i'm just not sure that i really am using the soft-tissue stuff properly yet.

so i wanted to try and dial that in before going chiro. that works, but i'd rather spend the money on foooooooooood atm.

• GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Have you checked out this video on how to properly stretch the TFL? Helped me a bit, although my problem wasn't chronic, just overuse.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    GaryRuns wrote: »
    Have you checked out this video on how to properly stretch the TFL? Helped me a bit, although my problem wasn't chronic, just overuse.

i'm actually a big fan of that guy and that stretch has been my go-to so far. it helps, and so does the yoga cow-face pose for the i.t. band. just wondering if there are other solid ideas out there.