How to deal with body shaming bullies?

Options
2»

Replies

• Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I would seriously consider carrying a recorder and using it. The behavior you are describing is totally unacceptable and abusive and has no place in the workplace. You can decide what to do or not do with it later.

Years ago, I had issues with a couple of coworkers lying and because they were buddy buddy with the boss, they got away with it and I was getting in trouble for their crap. I started carrying a recorder with me and the next time the issue came up was the last time.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    This is your boss, you say? What country are you working in?

US but he's family and I don't want to make him lose his job.. I do care about him despite the abuse.
    I will most likely take most everyone's advice and stick it through until I get laid off then try to find a different job.

you care about him but obviously he doesnt care about you if hes treating you like that. sometimes you have to get rid of toxic people out of your life even if it is family. my grandma always said family will stab you in the back quicker than anyone else will
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I'm 20. When I get laid off I can choose to find a new job elsewhere or I can wait to be hired back. In which case I will likely work with the same people. I like my job, I'm good at my job and its a lot of money. The company also provides housing so if I choose to work elsewhere I will have to pay rent on top of various other bills..

You like a job where you are exposed to verbal abuse pretty much 24/7. Abuse that by your own admission is causing you health problems. I'd suggest you reconsider professional help. That is no way to live.
  • tinuz
    tinuz Posts: 1,123 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    if he is family you could easily adress the issue....
    Bring a scale and let every one get on the scale. see who's the "biggest loser"

Kick everyone in the nutsack on your last day....

oh...and if the profile pic is accurate... these guys are idiots
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Have you asked him to stop? Does he know how much this upsets you? Is there another family member who can intervene on your behalf?
  • winejunky143
    winejunky143 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Have you asked him to stop? Does he know how much this upsets you? Is there another family member who can intervene on your behalf?

He knows it upsets me I think that's why he does it. That's how narcissistic people are though. I really like my job I like what I do I don't necessarily like the people I work with but I don't want to let them chase me away from a good job and good money. I don't want to let them win. I will look into a different career however after this.

I was only wondering if anyone that is also bullied had tips on what cheers them up and helps them through the day.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    Why are you waiting until you get fired ? Look for a job now, and leave on your own terms. You will be happier knowing that they don't have all of the control.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    This is your boss, you say? What country are you working in?

US but he's family and I don't want to make him lose his job.. I do care about him despite the abuse.
    I will most likely take most everyone's advice and stick it through until I get laid off then try to find a different job.

Why don't you try to find a different job now? Sounds like you work with a bunch of dickbags.

ETA: You may never get laid off. I don't know why you would leave your misery and fate in someone else's hands when you can go look for a new one immediately.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

He knows it upsets me I think that's why he does it. That's how narcissistic people are though. I really like my job I like what I do I don't necessarily like the people I work with but I don't want to let them chase me away from a good job and good money. I don't want to let them win. I will look into a different career however after this.

I was only wondering if anyone that is also bullied had tips on what cheers them up and helps them through the day.

standing up to the bullies somtimes helps. I usually ask them if it makes them feel better for putting others down,and does it make them a better person for doing so? and does it make them sleep better at night. If they dont have anything nice to say then they shouldnt say anything.tell them you are there to do YOUR job and it has nothing to do with your weight,as long as you are doing your job thats all that matters.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options

Honestly the only thing I can think of is having a well defined plan of escape from the situation. If he's family and you don't want him fired, then you're going to have to put up with it for a bit longer like you suggested. However making the decision to do something different can be very freeing. Just knowing that in the back of your mind should give you some relief. Just stick to it and do something different. Change can be a good thing, and at your age you're likely not in your final career or job anyway. Once you have a few kids and start a family it's much harder to make these decisions on the fly. Better to find a better path now (assuming you're not already in that position).