Slimming world or not?

Hiya, I'm thinking of joining slimming world online. What do my UK mfp'ers think? Yay or nay? Xxx

Replies

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    I don't think there's a definitive answer.

Try it and find out.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    I know a lot of people who like slimming world, but I'm an MFP fan myself!
  • BewitchedBelinda99
    BewitchedBelinda99 Posts: 253 Member
    I'm hoping I can do both! I love MFP. Good advice cityruss, thank you.
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    My close friend has had good success with them so far, the weekly meetings create an accountability that help her stay on track more than logging did.
  • Alarae21
    Alarae21 Posts: 171 Member
    Why pay for something you can do for free?
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Alarae21 wrote: »
    Why pay for something you can do for free?

THIS!
  • amanhertz1488
    amanhertz1488 Posts: 2 Member
    I personally do Slimming World and use MFP to register food and for the community :) SW really helps me keep on track which is why I do it...
  • BewitchedBelinda99
    Because I'm not doing very well doing it for free.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    So then think about this. If you HAVE to pay for a structured program to learn how to keep weight off.................you'll be paying for it the rest of your life. Because once you get off that program, you'll regain weight. It's no different than any other program for weight loss with the exception of learning on your own how to count calories correctly.
    If you're not doing it for free with at least 90% effort, it's not the free program that's the issue. It's the effort.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

+1 All of this!
  • jenntaylor702
    jenntaylor702 Posts: 17 Member
    Hiya, just seen this post. I've lost 2stone 11lbs on slimming world and have started using MFP to log calories and get support and motivation from other users as I am an online SW member so don't have a weekly group to go to. I joined SW as I figured I was more likely to stick to the plan if I was paying for it!
    There's no right or wrong answer to your question, just got to do what works for you. X
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

What bit of it aren't you doing very well?
  • Mumu190672
    Mumu190672 Posts: 76 Member
    Personally I don't see the point to pay to follow a diet plan that is not necessarily appropriate for me.
    I am French and I live in the UK.
    I don't want to follow a British diet.
    I eat what I like and even if unhealthy I buy some French products I enjoy.
    Overall I think I don't eat too much processed food. I am close to my calories goal weekly.
    I have alcohol once a week.
    I am happy. I like my food and drinks.
    I don't need anybody to tell me what's right or wrong. I can google it if necessary.
    Mfp is very useful because it counts the calories for me and informs me about my macronutrients and some micronutrients.
    I lose weight that way.
    I have no clue of what weight watcher or slimming world programmes can add.
    If you to lose weight it has to come from you.
    It doesn't matter what some strangers think about your weight loss.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Mumu190672 wrote: »
    Personally I don't see the point to pay to follow a diet plan that is not necessarily appropriate for me.
    I am French and I live in the UK.
    I don't want to follow a British diet.
    I eat what I like and even if unhealthy I buy some French products I enjoy.
    Overall I think I don't eat too much processed food. I am close to my calories goal weekly.
    I have alcohol once a week.
    I am happy. I like my food and drinks.
    I don't need anybody to tell me what's right or wrong. I can google it if necessary.
    Mfp is very useful because it counts the calories for me and informs me about my macronutrients and some micronutrients.
    I lose weight that way.

I have no clue of what weight watcher or slimming world programmes can add.
    If you to lose weight it has to come from you.
    It doesn't matter what some strangers think about your weight loss.

Good points. I see that you mentioned that you are French. May I inquire, what is your theory as to how French people stay so slim and are still able to eat rich foods? That is something I've always wondered about. I'm guessing that they don't eat rich all of the time and must eat small portions?

I like the weekly caloric goal also. It works better for me because I can adjust over the week if I plan to have a meal at a restaurant or outing that pushes calories over a bit for that day.
  • suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    edited October 2016
    I did Weightwatchers UK online and then gradually gained back all the weight I lost. I have now re-lost the weight for free with MFP and am maintaining that loss well.

MFP has taught me how to manage calories. I eat fairly healthily but don't get guilt trips when I decide [or circumstances dictate] that a day's food is not very well balanced or I go over budget. I still weigh and log every day because my weight management is for life. Losing the weight is one thing...keeping it off is what's more important and I know that for me simple calorie counting is more effective than a slimming club. After all they rely on repeat business.

I just don't see the point in paying Slimming World for something you can do for free with MFP. Good luck with whatever you decide.
  • mairesile
    mairesile Posts: 26 Member
    I prefer weight watchers tried sw but didn't like it

But sticking with mfp for now
  • BewitchedBelinda99
    Yeah on reflection I don't want to waste the money on something that might not work for me. But I'm 45 with a dodgy knee and I don't go over my calories too often. And I try and exercise as much as I can. And it's not coming off. I've been stuck at 17 stone for ages.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    i dont understand the free food thing at all. rice is free i am told
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    i know people who are doing it now and are happy with it
    you must though have a game plan if you ever stop
    The people i know who did WW or slimming world put it all back on when stopped