Follow up to "too thin and overwhelmed"

Options
I have been noticing that my original post has generated some strong reactions, so I want to post a follow up. (I wrote a detailed comment in my original discussion)
-I have seen a registered dietitian
-the dietitian created a meal plan for me and she set a goal of .5 to 1 pound weight gain a week.
-I am working on gaining weight to my idea weight (created by the dietitian) of 99-115 pounds. (I have a very small frame)
-I made follow up appointments and will be keeping a food log for the dietitian
-I have made an appointment with a therapist and will be starting activities that will help me meet friends in my new town.
To answer some other questions, the reason I said I was overwhelmed was because my family, friends, and people on this site were saying I was dangerously thin, my health could be in trouble, and that I need to "stuff my face asap." These comments were scaring me. I did make my original post before speaking to the dietitian and having a serious conversation with my family. Also I believe that my eating disorder originated from depression. I was feeling lonely due to moving to a new town away from family. Also my new job was overwhelming at first. (It was keeping me too busy to think about eating.) I did not stop eating because I wanted to look like a runway model. In the future, please don't attack people or assume anything. Also if a person says they are "overwhelmed," then don't scare them even more. The comments i was reading on the last decision was making me feel sad and scared. Anyway I look forward to improving my health and eating yummy food again. :) Any tips or experience would be helpful. I will be posting more follow ups in the coming weeks. Sorry for the long post

Replies

• rebel_26
    rebel_26 Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options
    Good luck. .5 to 1 lb a week is a good obtainable goal.

When I relocated 10 years ago I went from 182 lbs with 9-10% body fat down to 150 and 15% body fat within a year. Certainly while I wasn't "too thin" as I am 5'9", but the stress of the new overwhelming job, long hours, and lack of gym time coupled with lack of friends and company definitely played a roll.
  • haviegirl
    haviegirl Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you posted this. Best of luck to you!
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    Stress affects everyone differently but you sound like you have a plan and are on a good track. Don't be overwhelmed by it! Just take it day-by-day, step-by-step.

I'm 5'1" and about 4 years ago had some sort of mystery illness and ended up at 88lbs as well. Took me a good year and a half to get back to my normal 100 lbs but I've had no long lasting health issues from it. Focus on quality nutrition and managing your stress.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Follow your RD's plan and follow up regularly with them and be prepared for the head games of gaining weight. We all go through them when we are trying to gain and it's not as easy as many think. Good luck.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    Good for you. You are taking the necessary steps to get your health back. Moving is so tough, I was also depressed when I left my family even though it was temporary.

I am a very introverted person but I pushed myself to be more social. Some suggestions to consider but don't overwhelm yourself: Meetup.com was a great way of finding people with similar interests, and I attended college events even though I already graduated. Take some community classes (I mentioned cooking classes in the other post). Nowadays, If I want to go out but don't want to be amongst friends, I just go! There are fairs, park events, coffee shops, etc so I'm chill but still around people.

Anyway keep working with your dietician and therapist. It sounds like you have a great plan, and of course you have tons of support here!
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    So glad to read this and I'm so sorry you were scared by some of the comments
    I am also new to the weight gain thing and recall feeling overwhelmed to start with. Feel free to add me - we can support each other!
  • kathrynjean_
    kathrynjean_ Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Bravo to you and I'm sending so many good vibes and wishing you the best of luck with your journey! Moving to a new town and being isolated is really hard. I think it's great that you're making moves to address the physical issue while also trying to meet new people and expand your social support network.

Thanks so much for posting an update. You've got this and we are all cheering for you!! <3
  • hokiemom14
    hokiemom14 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I think that it's awesome that you recognized that you needed some help and actually got it. You are clearly a very strong woman so I bet with the right help you will be feeling great very soon! Please keep us updated and know that you have plenty of supporters here.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I'm so very pleased you posted this. It can be so easy to loose sight of what one is actually doing when you are in a stressful situation. Its good to know you are on the way back to a much better place. Take care.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    in combination to what you are already doing, I would suggest getting on some kind of structured lifting program like strong lifts, strong curves, all pro beginner routine, etc...
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing more about your situation, Hannah. By the way, just curious- is that you in your avatar photograph?
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    This is a good plan (I didn't see the original post). Listen to your doctor and the people in your life that you trust. You have enough to deal with recovering from not just the physical, but mental aspects of your disorder. It can be easy to get your mind all twisted up from misinformation on mfp. I'm not saying there isn't good info. There is. But, it's a mixture Take care of yourself physically, mentally, and emotionally. Best wishes to you! :heart: Edit to add: Here is another resource: http://www.eatbreathethrive.org/
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Thanks for sharing more about your situation, Hannah. By the way, just curious- is that you in your avatar photograph?

And, just for anyone who comes along later and might be curious as to why I would ask if that is her in the photo--it was a picture of a lady.
  • floodstage
    floodstage Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I also lost too much weight in response to the stress and depression associated with a major, painful life change. It sounds like you are taking all the right steps to take care of yourself. I have not been able to gain 1 pound per week, as ongoing depression and anxiety still harm my appetite, but by tracking my calories, and adding in protein shakes and ensures on days when my calorie intake is dangerously low, I have begun to heal from the damage I did to my muscle tone and health from the rapid weight loss, and I have actually gained back 3 pounds over the last 6 weeks. My doctor also put me on an appetite stimulant for a short period of time as well. It's good to have professional guidance. Good luck in your journey. (It was a bit scary for me sometimes when I was afraid I might just keep losing weight until I died, and not having any idea of how to stop it. We'll be okay!)
  • flb2573
    flb2573 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Good for you. I used to constantly be over whelmed and now I am occasionally. Everything will smooth itself out, much success to you .
  • melissab287
    melissab287 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I agree with you, I have lost weight due to anxiety, depression and stress, it's seems overwhelming trying to gain it! Good luck to you and thank you for sharing your story <3
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I recently lost weight due to a medical injury. It was rough. I am so happy since gaining it back.