Dry chicken?

norma111107
norma111107 Posts: 5 Member
Do you guys have any tips on how to prevent baked chicken to be so dry? I usually just drizzle some mrs dash seasoning on it and put it in the oven but it ends up being really dry. Any tips? Or maybe another way to fire up some flavor on it? Thanks!

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    I boil my chicken. Adding seasoning to the water gives good flavor and it reheats well if you plan on taking it for lunches.
  • cosmonew
    cosmonew Posts: 514 Member
    Why are you baking it? I cook mine in a pan, and it so delicious all brown on the outside and juicy on the inside. I think it takes less time as well as I cut it into pieces first. Or get a george foreman grill from the thrift shop...it trims the fat.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    I have found that any way you cook it baked or grilled. Let it rest about 10 minutes or more before you cut it. If you cut it right out of the oven all the juices will run out on the board. If you let it rest they redistribute into the meat.

I usually bake chicken breast on the bone with skin, season with seasoning of choice, 350 for 1 hour or internal temp 165, let rest 10 or 15 minutes and serve.

Here are some seasonings I like. soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2014/05/no-salt-seasonings.html

Here is a marinade. soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2015/03/piri-piri-chicken.html
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    I brown it before baking, it seals in the juices.
  • aliem
    aliem Posts: 326 Member
    Well if it is dry, you are cooking it too long. Not sure what temp, time and size of breast you are cooking, but maybe invest in a meat thermometer and check them well before you usually pull it out. Once you get used to the touch of a non-dried out chicken breast, you can do it by touch. For boneless skinless large breasts (like 4-5 breasts for 2.5-3 pounds), I usually do 350 degrees for 23-30 minutes depending on how thick they are. Also, to kick up the flavor, experiment in your spice blends! I usually don't use pre-made ones. I just throw a pinch of this and that on them. Some good staples are garlic powder, chili powder, oregano, paprika, rosemary and of course salt and pepper.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    don't cook it for so long

i cook chicken thigh fillets in chicken stock and chicken breast with a load of veg
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    The most reliable way is to use a thermometer.
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Also, if you're buying chicken breasts, they don't have a lot of fat in them to keep them moist, which can mean they end up dry quickly.

I bake them in a covered casserole dish, with a tablespoon or so Italian dressing on top, and a tiny bit of water in the dish, and they are nice and juicy.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    You can add some water to the dish with your chicken breast and cover it with foil to bake.
    Reduce cooking time or temperature.
    Use a slow cooker.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    You can braise it in a liquid (chicken stock, marinara, wine, etc.) and take it out as soon as it hits a safe internal temperature. You can get digital meat thermometers with a probe you leave in the meat during cooking, then receive an alert when the meat hits temp.
  • Habiteer
    Habiteer Posts: 190 Member
    laur357 wrote: »
    You can braise it in a liquid (chicken stock, marinara, wine, etc.) and take it out as soon as it hits a safe internal temperature. You can get digital meat thermometers with a probe you leave in the meat during cooking, then receive an alert when the meat hits temp.

I was thinking about getting one of those wireless digital meat thermometers before. Do you have one that you could recommend? I don't know if I should just get the cheapest one I can find, or if there is a good value-based one, or if I should just go for the best one possible.
  • ConicalFern
    ConicalFern Posts: 121 Member
    edited October 2016
    Wrap it in foil! My chicken is never dry and I don't add oil or anything extra. If I'm not adding to anything I'll add some cajun seasoning, which doesn't have nutritional info on the label so I take it as 0 cal!
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,508 Member
    edited October 2016
    I brown it before baking, it seals in the juices.

false
  • Spook_Skywalker
    Spook_Skywalker Posts: 180 Member
    Crockpot the chicken breast? It's tasty.
  • Rage_Phish
    Crockpot the chicken breast? It's tasty.

crockpots good. i do large batches that way

grilling is my other go to

• Rage_Phish
    but honestly, chicken thighs taste better to me these days
  • Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 508 Member
    I'm with folks who prefer dark meat (legs and thighs) over chicken breasts. I find them to be more moist and flavourful overall, no matter how I cook them. With breasts, I would suggest a marinade. I like most of the McCormick Grill Mates marinades, but don't forget to calculate in the calories from the oil if you use them.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Cover it with aluminum foil, and check on it sometime between half to 3/4 of the allotted time. If you are using a roasting rack, add water to the pan.
  • norma111107
    norma111107 Posts: 5 Member
    Thank you all I will take all the tips and put them to use
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Am I the only one who hates the texture of crockpot chicken? I should try the pressure cooker I guess...

I don't usually bake my chicken unless it's chicken parm or a casserole or something. I grill it or just cook it in a pan and check regularly with my thermometer to make sure I don't overcook it.