Replies

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    cqbkaju wrote: »
    [Generalization: The Basics of Progressive Overload]
    Heavy: If you can do more than 6 or 7 reps for each set of an exercise then you probably need to add at least 5 pounds, because it is not "heavy" relative to how strong you are.

Rep ("repetition") range: the minimum and maximum number of times you should try to lift a weight in a set.
    Set: A lifting session where you try to lift a weight for your target Rep range
    Rest: The time you take as a break between sets.

Two commonly accepted Repetition ranges for strength: 4 to 6 and 5 to 7
    3 sets of 4 to 6 repetitions with 2 to 3 minutes rest between sets is common

If the Reps are much higher numbers (like you can do 10 reps easily, all 3 sets) then the weight is too light to focus on strength gains and will not build the muscle needed to fix your "droopy" concern.

So now you can determine right away if the equipment you have at home is "heavy enough".
    Can you do more than 7 repetitions of a specific exercise with it?
    If so then it is too light. You need more weight for that exercise.

Example using 3 sets in a 4 to 6 rep range.

Your deadlift at 135 lbs last Monday
    Set x reps x weight
    1 x 5 x 135#
    2 x 4 x 135#
    3 x 4 x 135#

This Monday
    Set x reps x weight
    1 x 6 x 135#
    2 x 6 x 135#
    3 x 6 x 135#

so NEXT Monday you increase the weight 5 lbs and will aim for at least:
    Set x reps x weight
    1 x 4 x 140#
    2 x 4 x 140#
    3 x 4 x 140#

Once you get 140# x6 reps x 3 sets you increase the weight AGAIN (145#) and start over, aiming for at least 4 reps per set.

That is the basics of "progressive overload" to gain strength.
    You continue to "progress" by increasing the number of repetitions until you can increase the weight.
    Then you start again.

There is ongoing debate on the "best" rep ranges for strength vs muscle size vs a balance of the two.

Good advice. The only thing I question is the rep ranges. Hypertrophic rep ranges (8-12) are still considered lifting heavy in my opinion.

1 rep max to faliure imo. Just grab the bar and pull...if the bar moves, its to light.
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Good advice. The only thing I question is the rep ranges. Hypertrophic rep ranges (8-12) are still considered lifting heavy in my opinion.

Like I said, "There is ongoing debate on the "best" rep ranges for strength vs muscle size vs a balance of the two." ;)

But I consider the size of the muscles (hypertrophy/hypertrophic for those reading this and wondering WTH ?!) to be less important than the strength of the muscles, especially since I am pushing 50.

I have a physical therapist in the family who says the biggest reason people end up in nursing homes is that they are too weak to get out of chairs or off of toilets. :(
    How big the muscles are doesn't matter as much as what you can do with them at that age.

The general consensus is that the weight you can lift at 8-12 reps is not "heavy" because the weight you can only lift for 6 reps is obviously heavier.

Of course, powerlifters (who often work in the 1 - 3 rep range, for the uninformed) do not consider the weight we can lift at 4 - 6 reps to be heavy... :/

Either way, I think we agree that "heavy" lifting is key. I am glad you found the advice to be decent.