Hello everyone trying to get into shape for bootcamp

Options
Hi guys! I'm 23 just trying to get myself ready for boot camp! I leave in January! I just started the ketogenic diet. What are your guy's thoughts on that? My father and his wife do it and they both lost 20lbs+ with in 4 weeks! (obviously they work out as well) but I've also read that it's bad for you. Also any tips to get me into shape and help me lose weight fast would be awesome! Thank you :D

Replies

• daaniel0596
    daaniel0596 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey there! That's great to hear, the keto diet is good for losing weight as is induces ketosis in the body meaning your fat stores are being used for engery. Prolonged periods of ketosis though can be harmful to your body, good luck on your journey!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hey there! That's great to hear, the keto diet is good for losing weight as is induces ketosis in the body meaning your fat stores are being used for engery. Prolonged periods of ketosis though can be harmful to your body, good luck on your journey!

All diets access fat stores if they are in an energy deficit. Fat oxidation increases and carb oxidation decrease on keto since dietary fat is increased and carbs are decrease. Overall, net fat loss is equal (holding calories and protein steady) regardless of carb and fat make up.

OP, if you want to do keto, I would recommend: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

Also, it is not uncommon to see high initial weight loss. This is due to reductions in glycogen/water. If you add that in with large decrease in calorie consumption, you also have reductions in food waste. It's why Atkins advertising such huge losses. You will not see increase fat loss from this program over other programs.

If you do keto, you need to increase sodium to 3000 - 5000mg and eat higher levels of foods that contain potassium and magnesium to ensure electrolytes are balanced. Also, make sure you monitor your progress with bootcamps. Highly anaerobic activities tend to not blend as well with very low carb.