Are my calculations correct?

Options
33bbcc33
33bbcc33 Posts: 59 Member
edited October 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi,

I just want to see if my plan for losing about a pound a week is sound. I feel my calculations are correct but I'm not seeing the numbers go down as fast on the scale as I'd want.

Just being sedentary I've calculated my weekly calorie burn around 11,500-3,500=8,000 calories eaten a week to lose a pound. I'm female, 25, around 136 pounds 5'5". I also lift weights for my legs 2x a week and lift for my arms 2x a week. I calculate 100 calorie burn for each of those days. And then I try to burn 1,400 calories through cardio a week if not a little more to treat myself :) = 1,800/week calorie burn.

So my days go:
Leg day 2x: 1500 calories
Arms 2x: 1400 calories
Cardio/Rest 3x: 1300 calories

That's 9,700cals eaten-1,800cals exerc=7,900 cals a week.

Am I doing this right?? I thought by doing this the pounds would be sliding off. My goal is 125-120. Any ideas? Maybe too many calories? Also anyone with the same goals?

Thanks!

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    At your stats, currently your BMR is approx 1364 and a sedentary TDEE is approx 1635 and 1-3 hours exercise TDEE is approx 1876.

20% of your approx sedentary TDEE is 9156 cals per week. 20% off 1-3 hours exercise TDEE is 13132 cals per week.

First off you do not have very much to lose as you currently are in your "ideal weight range".. . Setting MFP with a rate of loss at .5 pounds per week, plus add back exercise calories (MFP NEAT method + Exercise (EAT)) should put you right where you want to be to lose weight. Or you can choose TDEE method - 10%-15%-20% (which puts you at about .3 to .7 to .8 lb rate of loss)

I do think you are trying to over think this as in there is really no need to calorie cycle as you have described, however if this is going to be your method then take the calories MFP gives you to lose .5 and divvy those calories according to how you want to eat on heavier exercise days.
  • duddysdad
    duddysdad Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    You don't give your age, but I just put early 20s. Your sedentary TDEE is around 1700 calories. Females should not eat less than 1200 calories. To lose 1 pound per week, you need a 500 calorie daily deficit. Right now, you can eat 1200. You may lose 1 pound per week, but nothing is ever a given.

You do not burn as many calories exercising as you think, never trust any calculator or machine. Set yourself as sedentary, add in your exercise, eat back half. Try to get a 500 calorie deficit. That is all you need to do. If you are not losing at the expected rate, eat less, if you are losing more, either be happy for it, or eat more.
  • RoxieDawn
    edited October 2016
    Options
    duddysdad wrote: »
    You don't give your age, but I just put early 20s. Your sedentary TDEE is around 1700 calories. Females should not eat less than 1200 calories. To lose 1 pound per week, you need a 500 calorie daily deficit. Right now, you can eat 1200. You may lose 1 pound per week, but nothing is ever a given.

You do not burn as many calories exercising as you think, never trust any calculator or machine. Set yourself as sedentary, add in your exercise, eat back half. Try to get a 500 calorie deficit. That is all you need to do. If you are not losing at the expected rate, eat less, if you are losing more, either be happy for it, or eat more.

No to this OP.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    given your stats (exactly the same as me) you should be aiming for 0.5lbs per week...

i am losing sloooooooooowly on net 1550 cals.
  • 33bbcc33
    Options
    I just thought if I did the math and calculations right no matter my current weight I could lose a pound a week. I just like to see changes fast. I forgot to mention I'm 25. I was eating around 1,200 while doing my workout routine and was getting really cold. So I upped my calories a bit and tried to make up in exercise. I could possibly try .8/week with the tdee method you mentioned Roxiedawn.

So I wasn't quite clear. What I'm doing currently is not burning enough calories to lose a pound a week?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    33bbcc33 wrote: »
    I just thought if I did the math and calculations right no matter my current weight I could lose a pound a week. I just like to see changes fast. I forgot to mention I'm 25. I was eating around 1,200 while doing my workout routine and was getting really cold. So I upped my calories a bit and tried to make up in exercise. I could possibly try .8/week with the tdee method you mentioned Roxiedawn.

So I wasn't quite clear. What I'm doing currently is not burning enough calories to lose a pound a week?

you're already a healthy weight so while your calculations are correct, its not really healthy or sustaiable to try and lose 1lb per week.

fast changes aren't a thing when its the vanity pounds you're losing.
  • RoxieDawn
    edited October 2016
    Options
    33bbcc33 wrote: »

If it were me, I would go with slower rate. Faster results do not always make the wiser choice. You are already at a healthy weight and in your ideal weight range, so shoot for the .5, make it easier on you and your body. You need to be fueled to carry out your day to day responsibilities and be able to exercise and lose weight comfortably and in a healthy way..

I put those numbers out there for you to see that 1 pound a week was not a good choice and perhaps I should have stated pick the lower to mid range.. this was my bad..

TDEE method has your exercise built in and MFP NEAT method + exercise does not. You will eat the .5 lb MFP gives you calorie wise and eat back exercise calories. No need to predict calorie burns from exercise.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring your calories in/calories out? Are you weighing/measuring/tracking everything you eat/drink? Do you wear a HRM for cardio?
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    just curious - why are you only working out your legs and arms??? what about the rest of your body parts?!?!
  • 33bbcc33
    Options
    Thanks all for the help. I guess the weight loss is gonna be a bit slower than I hoped either way. It's been slow since I started haha but I'll keep trucking.

I measure with a scale, measuring cups/spoons. It may be the cardio I'm overestimating. I don't wear a monitor, maybe I'll look into that. I try to do stair master, elliptical, row machine, walking treadmill on incline. And I try to push myself hard kind of with intervals. And I used to run outside but I'm afraid cause of an acl/mcl tear. I should pick up biking again too.

I've been following these two workouts for strength pretty religiously. I thought it covered everything? What else do I need to workout?

http://www.bodybuilding.com/content/leg-workouts-for-women-a-girls-guide-to-glam-gams.html

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/figure_sculpting_workout.htm