Something different.

I have tried strong lifts and have been doing it inconsistently since May. I start and stop it here and there. I think I'm finding it boring. Is there something that is similar with more variety? I have a wedding coming up in February and would love to lose 10 lbs of fat before then.

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    You need to figure out what you want to do for you. Period. I am a personal trainer and I generally will write programs which focus on strength training and/or heavy lifting for women... however, i want to say that this is simply not for everyone and that is OKAY!

That's right... you absolutely don't have to be one of the "cool kids" that only does heavy lifting, some cardio, counts their macros, etc. This approach will undoubtedly give you a certain look if that is your main focus, but I generally recommend that each individual finds their OWN passion for fitness. Whether that's lifting weights, or playing sports, or doing pilates, or swimming, or whatever else!

In my opinion, part of living a healthy lifestyle is finding an exercise regimen which you enjoy and can maintain long term. Finding an exercise modality which fits this for you is far more important than any "results" you might see in your body. Retention of an exercise plan is one of the most important things we can do for our health (both mental and physical).

As far as aesthetics go, having a lower body fat percentage is going to give you the look most women tend to go for.

As we lose weight we lose a combination of fat, water, and muscle mass. To help minimize muscle catabolization during a calorie deficit a few things are required: a MODERATE calorie deficit (generally 1% of total body weight per week is acceptable), Consistent resistance exercise (Weights count, but so does body weight, sports, etc.), and adequate protein levels (.8-1.2g per pound of LBM).

So, my suggestion to you is... why not give whatever you think seems the most fun/enjoyable to you? If you dont like it, change it! Play around with the type of exercise, the days, the times, etc. until you find something that inspires you, makes you happy, and keeps you active. For now, go ahead and adjust your diet according to your goals.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    If you want more variety, Strong Curves or New Rules of Lifting For Women have tons of different lifts every week.