Anyone new to power-lifting? Looking for fitness friends to chat with!

Options

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    grob49 wrote: »
    I competed in my 1st competition in August. I won my weight class (only female in my weight class!). You can add me.

Congrats @deputy_Randolph on your competition! How did you like it? Are you planning on competing again?

First one has to be the most stressful, right? Next one is in February!

My first is in January and I'm already nervous about messing up the bench commands.

Practise practise practise. Find someone willing to stand there and give you the commands. Waiting for a press command is different than just a simple pause.

That's the truth. No bounce off the chest. Make sure the bar does hit the chest too. Make sure your your squat hit parallel. Rich Peters with NASA told me once he looks at the toes if they are pointed straight ahead he will red light you because there is no way to hit parallel if they are. Don't rest the bar to low on your shoulders for squats. I got red lighted for that.

That part about getting reds for forward toes seems ridiculous to me.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    I've competed 5-6 times in powerlifting and some of my clients powerlift as well. Definitely a very, very fun and supportive sport and I hope to do it for a while.
  • grob49
    grob49 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    I competed in my 1st competition in August. I won my weight class (only female in my weight class!). You can add me.

Congrats @deputy_Randolph on your competition! How did you like it? Are you planning on competing again?

My first is in January and I'm already nervous about messing up the bench commands.

Practise practise practise. Find someone willing to stand there and give you the commands. Waiting for a press command is different than just a simple pause.

That's the truth. No bounce off the chest. Make sure the bar does hit the chest too. Make sure your your squat hit parallel. Rich Peters with NASA told me once he looks at the toes if they are pointed straight ahead he will red light you because there is no way to hit parallel if they are. Don't rest the bar to low on your shoulders for squats. I got red lighted for that.

What it does is free your hips to let you go down. Try it squat down with your toes straight and then with them out a little see how far down you can go.
  • maranarasauce93
    maranarasauce93 Posts: 293 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I've been focusing on powerlifting for almost a year. I started out doing CrossFit but realized that deadlifts were my thang (before training powerlifting specific, I had a 210lb pull) and that I wanted to improve upon my squat. I also did stronglifts 5x5 a bit from August through October, and I learned that I had a pretty decent bench, although there was some work to be done. But I signed up to do my first meet may of this year, and I'm doing my third meet/second full meet in January (my second meet was a bench press and deadlift only). Soo yeah I'm fairly new to powerlifting specific training, but I have definitely drinken the Kool aid and love it!! Feel free to add me :).
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options

Yeah. Let's force only high bar squats (only 3cm lower than the top of the anterior deltoid allowed). Interesting how their rule book says nothing about foot stance other than the normal don't move your feet between the squat and rack commands.

It's not a common stance but narrow stance feet straight does work for some people and they hit depth just fine.
  • grob49
    Options
    Do a search for squat form and see what the big power lifters say about foot placement. You can place your feet how ever you want. The rule book says your hips have to be parallel with the knees. I was just repeating what Rich Peters founder of natural strength Association said you can take it for what ever and now ever you want. Also I wouldn't call 3cm lower than the alternator delt high bar squats.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Do a search for squat form and see what the big power lifters say about foot placement. You can place your feet how ever you want. The rule book says your hips have to be parallel with the knees. I was just repeating what Rich Peters founder of natural strength Association said you can take it for what ever and now ever you want. Also I wouldn't call 3cm lower than the alternator delt high bar squats.

Parallel in powerlifting is assessed by the relative position of the crease of the hip and the top of the knee.

In order to break the plane of parallel the crease of the hip must drop below the top of the knee.
  • SideSteel
    Options

What it does is free your hips to let you go down. Try it squat down with your toes straight and then with them out a little see how far down you can go.

Whether or not it affects the hip really depends on individual hip structure.

It's entirely possible to break parallel with toes pointing forward and any judge telling you that they will give a red light based on toe position should not be judging in any respectable Federation
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Parallel in powerlifting is assessed by the relative position of the crease of the hip and the top of the knee.

In order to break the plane of parallel the crease of the hip must drop below the top of the knee.

Yep. This.
  • LoganKwiat
    LoganKwiat Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    .I just started this app and it's nice to see some powerlifters in here. It's a fun sport with some great people from all over the world.

I'm 38 and consider myself a retired powerlifter , lol. I still do that main 3 in the gym just not as heavy and no more competitions .

I think I spend more time doing mobility stuff then weights nowadays, lol.

Good luck with your future meets and it looks like you will have some good advice from this board.
  • grob49
    Options

It's entirely possible to break parallel with toes pointing forward and any judge telling you that they will give a red light based on toe position should not be judging in any respectable Federation

All I can tell you is I competed in powerlifting for several years and had records in different weight classes. You think what you want and I will do the same.
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    BTW, I'm 44 and started lifting about three years ago. Attending my first powerlifting competition this winter. Feel free to friend me if you like.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

All I can tell you is I competed in powerlifting for several years and had records in different weight classes. You think what you want and I will do the same.

And again, any ref who would automatically red light a squat for forward toes doesn't know what they are talking about.

May or may not have held a record or two.

You just might... :D
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Options

And again, any ref who would automatically red light a squat for forward toes doesn't know what they are talking about.

Lmao. I actually had to go look and count at current records. Still have 4, one of which is a world record. I just want my APU records back and chip away until I'm challenging Sara for the national ones.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

Lmao. I actually had to go look and count at current records. Still have 4, one of which is a world record. I just want my APU records back and chip away until I'm challenging Sara for the national ones.

Good luck representing Canada again next meet!
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Options
    @Wheelhouse15 - thanks. Hoping I can sneak up and take silver although as long as I get my planned second I'll be happy.
  • sarahkw04
    sarahkw04 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I LOVE powerlifting - just started in June and it's been so awesome. I've got a great coach. Maxed my bench today at 100lbs. I'm MUCH stronger lower body, so I was thrilled to hit triple digits with the bench. Competing for the first time in November!
  • DeadliftsandDonuts
    DeadliftsandDonuts Posts: 178 Member
    Options

I practiced the commands for squat and deadlift, but not bench; bench is my weakest lift, so I went into it with an "I don't care attitude." The day of the meet I regretted not practicing bench. I started to stress about bench during squats, which helped to screw up my last squat. Bench went perfectly though. If you have someone to practice with for a couple of weeks, that'll help the nerves.

The meet I'm doing is for beginners only and is just push/pull so I feel much better about it without having to worry about squats, but now bench has me worried. It's my weakest lift by far and I'm just hoping I don't bomb out because of the commands. Only one of the trainers in my gym has any experience with powerlifting (all the others are bodybuilders). However he has a lot of personal training clients and is always busy when I go to lift so he can't spot me on bench and I lift alone.

For deadlift, is there only one command to put down the bar once you're locked out?