protein HELP PLEASE

Replies

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    I eat 250g protein and seem to be doing ok not getting fat because of all the glucose.

I wish MFP had some sort of analytics where you could just pull up the average you've eaten daily of a certain micro or macronutrient but just guessing that on average I'm probably getting like 140g of protein a day. Its all over the place though from like 90 to 200g. I'm more about averages than day to day consistancy.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    I eat 250g protein and seem to be doing ok not getting fat because of all the glucose.

I wish MFP had some sort of analytics where you could just pull up the average you've eaten daily of a certain micro or macronutrient but just guessing that on average I'm probably getting like 140g of protein a day. Its all over the place though from like 90 to 200g. I'm more about averages than day to day consistancy.

You can use the reports to look at up to the last 90 day's worth of macros. It won't give you and average but it'll give you a graph. I use it a lot to see if I'm averaging too much sodium over time.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
    tamicoil1 wrote: »
    I shoot for 125 g of protein a day. 118 is not excessive.

Yep. Same.
  • onsickmom
    onsickmom Posts: 212 Member
    I was gonna load photos......Don't seem to be working.....Oh well.....Thank you all for your inputs
  • Aaron_K123
    edited October 2016
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »

You can use the reports to look at up to the last 90 day's worth of macros. It won't give you and average but it'll give you a graph. I use it a lot to see if I'm averaging too much sodium over time.

Oh yeah, look at that...thanks.

hkdriez273ua.png

Looks like I'm more like 125g a day average. I'm not even really aiming for what others would call a high protein diet either.
  • Spliner1969
    Yup, here's mine...

9tuh83t9vwj0.jpg
  • Aaron_K123
    Yup, here's mine...

9tuh83t9vwj0.jpg

Damn...you are kicking my butt :-)
  • Spliner1969
    Everything I've read says that up to 30% of the calories from protein is used just by digesting it. So tipping the scales with more protein doesn't hurt in my humble opinion. Yes, too much can tax your kidneys if you have prior issues, but otherwise healthy people have no issues with it. Body builders eat up to 1.5g/pound of their body weight. I'm probably averaging about 1.1g/lb.
  • onsickmom
    I'm not body building....I wish....my liver is fatty and close to scaring.... pancreas levels are elevated...I'm doing good to walk without assistance...I was gonna upload some photos to give all a better idea of ME and my situation....Silly thing isn't working..Will try later...So I see some of you are very fit....That's GREAT!!! I can only hope to regain my health...Just don't wanna do it wrong
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Wow so much misinformation in this thread... extra protein converts to glucose... really? SMH. And carbs are not evil either.

I'm 135 pounds and often eat around 120g of protein. Not a big deal at all. Protein helps preserve muscle and (usually) keeps you full longer.
  • robthephotog
    robthephotog Posts: 81 Member
    Essentially everything you eat is converted to sugar... your body takes that sugar and then moves it around to where it's needed. If you have too much it gets stored and converted to fat to pull from in case you can't find a buffalo to kill.

And 700 calories could send you to the hospital. That is going to leave you certainly malnourished and potentially damage your bodies ability to process food long term. If you start eating more, you'll gain everything you lost back and then some. It's your body's way of saying you are doing it wrong.

Shoot for AT LEAST 1350. 1500 would be even better. Then try and find a way to get moving. Swimming, or even light weights.

You want to lose the weight slowly. Your body will adjust, and not fight you all the way down.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    tamicoil1 wrote: »
    I shoot for 125 g of protein a day. 118 is not excessive.

Ya, I had 125 g of protein yesterday.
  • onsickmom
    That's what I needed to hear........thank you.....Guess I am over thinking.....To the fridge I go
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,179 Member
    I looked at your diary for yesterday and it looked like a carnivore's delight. One yam was also on your list, so you nailed it for high quality starch. Could you think of finding a way to add some color variety with vegetables?
  • onsickmom
    Yes.....I need to get to the store...I've got hello squash..heirloom tomatoes in yellow and red...romaine..Slim pickings...Thank you so much jerome
  • Spliner1969
    onsickmom wrote: »
    I'm not body building....I wish....my liver is fatty and close to scaring.... pancreas levels are elevated...I'm doing good to walk without assistance...I was gonna upload some photos to give all a better idea of ME and my situation....Silly thing isn't working..Will try later...So I see some of you are very fit....That's GREAT!!! I can only hope to regain my health...Just don't wanna do it wrong

I lost probably 70% of my weight walking. You got this! Just keep it up! The last 30% I was using my Bowflex M5 last Winter when I couldn't go outside but I prefer walking. I never thought I would run again, ever. Now I can run up to a mile at a time during my walks, and do 5k six days a week weather permitting. On the weekends if it's nice I do a little over 5 miles (8k ish) and run at least half of it. Walking was tough for me at first, I have three bad/previously injured discs in my Lumbar spine, a repaired right knee, and a left knee with arthritis, not to mention spinal stenosis. I started probably eating around 120-140g/day of protein while I was in a deficit just to make sure I didn't lose any of my existing muscle (honestly there wasn't much of it, so didn't want to lose what little I had). Then when I hit maintenance I upped it to 1g/lb or more to start building more.
  • onsickmom
    Thank you spliner1969