Congrats!???

Options
I hate when people congratulate me on losing weight. Like, I've lost 5 pounds and am 20 pounds over weight. Then they tell me, don't lose anymore, you'll be too skinny. ??? Really makes me think I can have that whole chocolate cake and Mcdonald's Big Mac everyday for the week and be good cause people say I can. Whoops there goes my 5 pounds back on! Hmm maybe I should post this under Motivation and Support. Maybe I'll appreciate the comments when I've lost the last 15.....

Replies

• JessiesGirls520
    Options
    It would probably help you to really figure out why you want to lose weight in the first place. If it is to impress others and their comments have that much of an effect on you that with their "permission" you feel you can stop losing weight and making poor eating choices it is time to evaluate your focus. Keep in mind why YOU want to lose weight and be healthier stick to that. People are always going to comment, you need to find out what your true goals and stay on course.

Lots of people tell me that I'm too thin. They are jealous. They try to sabotage me when we are eating socially. I don't listen to that. I know what my healthy and realistic goals are and I strive for that. Lots of people also compliment me. I say thank you and move on. It is my personal business only about what I weigh and what I eat.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Usually those people dont see us naked, maybe they will change their tune? :wink:
  • amandamae61288
    amandamae61288 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I look healthy, a lot of people have also said how good I look (since only losing 13lbs)- but the fact is, I am still overweight, and all that matters is how you feel about yourself. I am pretty close to a healthy weight/BMI but I know that my FITNESS level is not where I want it to be. Being thin v. being fit-- being fit will always win.
    Stay motivated and do this for you, for your health!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    I hate when people congratulate me on losing weight. Like, I've lost 5 pounds and am 20 pounds over weight. Then they tell me, don't lose anymore, you'll be too skinny. ??? Really makes me think I can have that whole chocolate cake and Mcdonald's Big Mac everyday for the week and be good cause people say I can. Whoops there goes my 5 pounds back on! Hmm maybe I should post this under Motivation and Support. Maybe I'll appreciate the comments when I've lost the last 15.....

that sounds like thats your problem.

i really dislike when i'm nice to someone and they throw it back in my face. "hey, great job on losing weight!" "no, don't congratulate me!! i've only lost five pounds, i'm still really far from my goal!!!"

why can't you just say thank you?? and if they say don't lose any more, you just don't say anything.
  • RHSheetz
    RHSheetz Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    People are used to seeing us at a certain weight and shape. I struggled with this while going through my loss as well. Just say thanks! :-D and I usually tell them, Just got a few more to lose.

BUT, I will warn you, do not focus on a number on the scale as your goal. If anything it should be a Body Fat percentage. According to the charts My ideal weight is 155. I had a Body Comp Done and found out that I have 190 lbs of Lean body mass. To hit 155 I would need to chop off a leg. So, my goal has become under 10% Body Fat and that is what I am working toword. Even if the scale has a HIGH number on it, I will still stop at that point.
  • taylan14
    taylan14 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    You HATE when people congratulate you on losing weight??????????
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

i really dislike when i'm nice to someone and they throw it back in my face. "hey, great job on losing weight!" "no, don't congratulate me!! i've only lost five pounds, i'm still really far from my goal!!!"

why can't you just say thank you?? and if they say don't lose any more, you just don't say anything.
    \

Agreed! I still have 50ish pounds to go, but EVERY time someone has complimented me, I have smiled and said thanks.
  • Dootzy1
    Dootzy1 Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in reading this, because compliments backfire for me as well--feels like a type of pressure. I guess a part of me feels like , "Oh crap, it's obvious, and now I have to live up to this new standard." Well, I didn't, and so I regained my hard earned 25 lbs. That doesn't feel so great either. I need to keep my focus on my health, my energy and keeping it in balance. I will work on keeping people's comments in perspective.
  • spidey11186
    spidey11186 Posts: 141 Member
    Options

Hey Cap,

Congrats on all the stuff you've done.

1015_carlton-dance-5.gif

Spidey
  • chr1st1na6464
    chr1st1na6464 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I know several people who feel the same way that you do. Weight is such a heavy issue. (no pun intended) We are bombarded with messages to eat--and messages to be thin. Most of the people we see in the media are super thin and often appear flawless. Being overweight as a child or teen is extremely painful emotionally. There's no end to mean-spirited teasing. You are constantly reminded that you aren't good enough. Then there's the messages from well-meaning adults--you have such a pretty face, if only you would lose some weight...then there's adulthood. I've been in many social situations where while eating small quantities of food many women lament, "I can't believe I ate all of this." "I'm going to have to work hours in the gym to work this off." It is as if eating and weight aren't a private survival function--but instead fraught with all kinds of expectations and judgment.

So I asked one of the people in my life why he gets upset when people notice he's lost weight--because it doesn't matter how much he loses--it bugs him when people comment on it. For him, he's not going to happy until he loses it all and is a normal size again. So he can't celebrate five pounds when he has so many more pounds to lose. It's as if none of the weight loss counts if he's not at his goal weight.

I think the secret to eating normally is being able to be proud of small weight loss. Of any weight loss. Being happy creates an environment conducive to eating right. Self-loathing has always led me to eat more.
  • kganc001
    kganc001 Posts: 317
    Options
    Usually those people dont see us naked, maybe they will change their tune? :wink:

This is my opinion!! Haha unless someone sees me naked (which is ONLY me and my fiance. Not even my Dr) then they can't tell me I'm too skinny. o.O Clothes vs. naked are two very different images. Haha
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    panicking-cat.gif

Damned if you do, damned if you don't .......
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

Hey Cap,

Congrats on all the stuff you've done.

1015_carlton-dance-5.gif

Spidey

thanks web-head
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    panicking-cat.gif

Damned if you do, damned if you don't .......

My thoughts exactly...
  • justwanderful
    justwanderful Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I hate when people congratulate me on losing weight. Like, I've lost 5 pounds and am 20 pounds over weight.

Most people will not notice 5 pounds. This begs the question: Why are you telling them?

Then they tell me, don't lose anymore, you'll be too skinny. ??? Really makes me think I can have that whole chocolate cake and Mcdonald's Big Mac everyday for the week and be good cause people say I can. Whoops there goes my 5 pounds back on! Hmm maybe I should post this under Motivation and Support. Maybe I'll appreciate the comments when I've lost the last 15.....

Sounds like you're looking for someone else to blame for YOUR problem.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options

BINGO.

This is why I usually sympathize with people who are obviously shrinking. I usually say something like "Oh man, I'm so sorry about your weight loss, that flesh eating disease must be harrowing to deal with."
  • ryanosgood
    ryanosgood Posts: 28
    Options
    I appreciate that people notice. It's a lot of work and effort. Not yet at the point where people tell me not to loose anymore though...lol.
  • TessTalks
    TessTalks Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I understand EXACTLY what you're saying - I struggle with it myself. The compliments (whether from outside or being proud of yourself) somehow trick the brain in to thinking - "Oh! People noticed/I'm doing good...I can relax now". I've now realized/learned that when they come my way I just consider them to be one of the hurdles I face to getting healthy (losing weight) - just like it takes practice to say no to dessert while staying focused on your goals, it takes practice to politely say "thank you, it's a process" and then go kick-butt at the gym.

And the "don't lose any more you'll be too skinny" is just a platitude. They're simply trying to say "I noticed you lost weight - good job!" Take it as seriously as you do when the teller at the bank says: have a nice day.
  • vgirl21
    vgirl21 Posts: 37
    Options
    I know several people who feel the same way that you do. Weight is such a heavy issue. (no pun intended) We are bombarded with messages to eat--and messages to be thin. Most of the people we see in the media are super thin and often appear flawless. Being overweight as a child or teen is extremely painful emotionally. There's no end to mean-spirited teasing. You are constantly reminded that you aren't good enough. Then there's the messages from well-meaning adults--you have such a pretty face, if only you would lose some weight...then there's adulthood. I've been in many social situations where while eating small quantities of food many women lament, "I can't believe I ate all of this." "I'm going to have to work hours in the gym to work this off." It is as if eating and weight aren't a private survival function--but instead fraught with all kinds of expectations and judgment.

So I asked one of the people in my life why he gets upset when people notice he's lost weight--because it doesn't matter how much he loses--it bugs him when people comment on it. For him, he's not going to happy until he loses it all and is a normal size again. So he can't celebrate five pounds when he has so many more pounds to lose. It's as if none of the weight loss counts if he's not at his goal weight.

I think the secret to eating normally is being able to be proud of small weight loss. Of any weight loss. Being happy creates an environment conducive to eating right. Self-loathing has always led me to eat more.

I agree completely! I respond respectively, but inside I am fuming. For me, I will never be comfortable until I reach my goal. Compliments are nice but sometimes hearing the truth is like food for the soul. But I don't expect anyone other than my family to tell me that I guess. It would be rude. Very contradicting I know.
  • vgirl21
    vgirl21 Posts: 37
    Options
    I hate when people congratulate me on losing weight. Like, I've lost 5 pounds and am 20 pounds over weight.

Most people will not notice 5 pounds. This begs the question: Why are you telling them?

Then they tell me, don't lose anymore, you'll be too skinny. ??? Really makes me think I can have that whole chocolate cake and Mcdonald's Big Mac everyday for the week and be good cause people say I can. Whoops there goes my 5 pounds back on! Hmm maybe I should post this under Motivation and Support. Maybe I'll appreciate the comments when I've lost the last 15.....

Sounds like you're looking for someone else to blame for YOUR problem.

Most likely :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!