Ever had a near "perfect" day of eating?

Options
AspenDan
AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
edited October 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I mean obv. calories are super close..but also ever had all your macros close, while not going over on sodium and sugar and such?

This all stems from the fact that I often find myself needing another 500calories for the day but basically at limit for sodium and/or sugar and I'm like..sweet, guess I'm gonna have to eat 22 bags of broccoli to get these calories. This is also while eating primarily whole, home cooked foods without much added for flavor...i shudder to think how far over on those things I'd be if I were eating pre-packaged or fast foods.

Anyway, I find it all comical, not discouraging, and i was curious if y'all ever have really perfect days of eating. Thanks!

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    The idea that "perfect" days existed was a big part of why I had trouble with my weight to begin with (I would try to eat "perfect" and then get discouraged and give up when I didn't), so I don't even think in those terms anymore.

Not saying it's an issue for everyone, but the idea is toxic for me personally. I just focus on consistently meeting my nutritional needs while enjoying what I eat.
  • jnlamppert
    jnlamppert Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I follow IIFYM so I strive to closely hit my carb, protein and fat intakes (the calories will end up close enough). I then try to limit my sugar and hit my fiber goals. I do this nearly every day by planning my meals for the next day as I lay in bed before going to sleep. Then if I need to make changes during the day it's relatively easy to do by swapping out similar foods. Check out my diary if you need ideas!
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Pretty much everyday is like this for me. I may go over in fibre but I know that's ok and if I go over in sodium, I have it set low so that's fine too.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    For me a perfect day does not exist.. I strive to hit all my macros, if I hit my macros, the fiber will be there. Sodium, I try to hit the recommended 2300 but stay below 3000..
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Most of my days are pretty near perfect IMO. Not having many rules makes it really easy though.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I don't try to get my macros perfect or track sodium (I also don't log salt I add when cooking, so it's not that hard to stay under most days, but I know it's inaccurate). My goal for fiber is just to be over and when I bother logging I pretty much always am. So I guess yes, based on what I look at?
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I don't even pay attention to salt and sugar, I have no health concerns that mean I need to watch those so they're "meh" to me.

I'm also not super fussed about macros beyond trying to get my fat and protein so I'm not hungry but again "meh" for the most part.

Because there's no such thing as perfect in anything.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    If I hit my calorie and protein goals, it's a perfect day. I don't care about sugar, and since I have chronic mild hyponatremia, the more sodium, the better. I don't really eat packaged foods and rely mainly on adding salt to get extra sodium.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    When I do lig, I don't limit myself on sugars, sodium, etc...I just hit my protien/fat macros and enjoy. Sounds awlful copulsive to me.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    jnlamppert wrote: »
    I follow IIFYM so I strive to closely hit my carb, protein and fat intakes (the calories will end up close enough). I then try to limit my sugar and hit my fiber goals. I do this nearly every day by planning my meals for the next day as I lay in bed before going to sleep. Then if I need to make changes during the day it's relatively easy to do by swapping out similar foods. Check out my diary if you need ideas!

^^ THIS. It's achievable if you plan ahead.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Tuesday, was the only "perfect" day I've had macros wise. I actually hit my protein goal. Which I don't think I've done since March or April of this year. Calorie wise, I ate the number of calories I was allowed, but my net was SUPER low b/c I had over 23K steps which is out of the norm for me. So it wasn't a perfect day, but it was perfect protein so I was happy.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    In term of wt control, I rarely have a day that is out of control. It's not that I'm perfect in my actions but I have an approach that accounts for just about anything, any "imperfection".

In term of food taste, quality, yesterday kinda sucked. My wife cooked a dish that turned out to be not what we imagined at all.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Any day i have cookies is a perfect day. Sugar limits can die in a fire.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    AspenDan wrote: »
    I mean obv. calories are super close..but also ever had all your macros close, while not going over on sodium and sugar and such?

This all stems from the fact that I often find myself needing another 500calories for the day but basically at limit for sodium and/or sugar and I'm like..sweet, guess I'm gonna have to eat 22 bags of broccoli to get these calories. This is also while eating primarily whole, home cooked foods without much added for flavor...i shudder to think how far over on those things I'd be if I were eating pre-packaged or fast foods.

Anyway, I find it all comical, not discouraging, and i was curious if y'all ever have really perfect days of eating. Thanks!

I'm actually kind of wondering about your entries...if you're eating primarily whole foods, it's really easy to be below the 2300 recommendation and actually pretty hard to be over on sodium even if you're adding it to your foods...as sugar goes, MFP just sets an arbitrary % of your total calories...there's not much to it...and if it's coming primarily from whole foods and not 40 oz big gulps I wouldn't worry too much about being over.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Perfect for me means around calorie goal and enough protein and water. I don't pay attention to sugar because I don't have insulin problems. I also try to eat a lot of sodium because I need to.
    I manage to do that, say, 5 out of every 7 days.