Snacking Is Killing Me

Options
13»

Replies

• OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on what you mean by snacking. I assume you mean unplanned eating. I chew gum or eat a few tic tacs if I feel I just have to eat something. Otherwise I have planned snacks throughout the day.
  • kmit96
    kmit96 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    myaminals wrote: »
    gum helps me sometimes.

Same with me.
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Pick snacks that are low cal or will keep you full. I like to snack on popcorn.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    I wonder what you mean by snacks.. It they are small portions of fattening junk food.. all that will do is make you crave more.

So ditch those kind of snacks and go for healthy snacks that are good ..but not so good.. if you know what I mean.

For example.. i have some bird seed kind of protein bars in the trunk of my car for when I'm desperate for something before or after I work out. I don't crave the things at all. So, I only eat them when I must. If they were super tasty.. they'd be gone.

Ya, I do the same thing with protein bars. I'm not crazy about them, and so they are available for "emergencies." One can sit in my purse for weeks and I'm not tempted unless I'm truly hungry.
  • shellyld2016
    shellyld2016 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I snack a lot and stay in my calorie range and am rarely hungry. The key for me is to snack on raw veggies during the day. It may take me all morning to eat them. Usually 3 servings. I usually keep a piece of fruit and Greek yogurt in a lunch bag if I need it in the afternoon. I usually do, as I try to get two dairy everyday. Nothing wrong with snacking if you are doing it healthy and counting it. I have found the longer I eat this way the less I crave the junk.
  • shellyld2016
    shellyld2016 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I also keep an open diary and look at my friend's diaries for great ideas.
  • kidrow21
    kidrow21 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Yes., Great Points Folks and I must agree gum does help, but sometimes you run out of it! I log everything I consume so my logging isn't a problem., I've started to notice that I tend to think about snacks when I'm bored.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    kidrow21 wrote: »
    I've started to notice that I tend to think about snacks when I'm bored.

Is it possible to just get up and go for a short, brisk walk at these times? I find doing that distracts me and helps me get some exercise in so that if I *do* give in later on, I'm not doing as much damage to my caloric bottom line. ;)
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    This is a HUUUGE problem for me as well. It's gotten to where if I didn't snack, I would have perfect days... but totally WRECK it the last couple hours of the day before bed. So, what I've started doing: eating large meals so I'm not hungry (I've been known to eat less dinner so I can have a snack before bed... but then over-eating said snack!). Drinking water .... brushing my teeth so I won't have anything else to eat... distracting myself with household chores so I'm too busy to snack. 9/10 times we snack out of boredom, not hunger. Good luck!
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I have switched a lot of my snacks for less calorie dense but still tasty options. So instead of kettle chips I have baked chips in a single serve, or popcorn, both come in at about 120 calories per single serve bag. Little single serve treat cakes for 150 calories. That sort of thing.

Distraction is also handy. When I started I would just get up and have a little walk about, just round my flat, say hi to the cats, anything to take my mind off the snacks for a few minutes.

That said, I was busy through lunchtime today so ended up filling half my day with snacks today! Quite enjoyed indulging in more than one variety :)
  • sweethart76
    sweethart76 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Ughh same here like at 10 pm I always get hungry for a snack and has to be a sweet
  • gophermatt
    gophermatt Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I'm in your same boat. High protein goal, struggling to get my fiber goal and sometimes I need a snack. Try hummus. High fiber, low cal (relatively). Just be careful what you choose to use as your dipper (I.e. not potato chips). Log it and stay in your goal.
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    Quit snacking perhaps?