Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Keeping on track during the cold weather

It has turned really cold here these last 2 weeks, and I am really struggling to keep warm - without eating and drinking too much. I think I am a bit of a comfort eater, I am 22lb down and feel so cold (about half way in my planned weight loss journey). I keep having hot drinks (often hot chocolate) because I am so cold, and let's be honest it's only Autumn. Is it just me?

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,437 Member
    Now is the time to get that gym membership and get moving! :)

(BTW - it's actually mid-spring ... summer is supposed to be on its way.)
  • Jburlen2007
    Jburlen2007 Posts: 59 Member
    I have went from close to 18% body fat to around 8% and feel the same way. I get a chill more often than I used to. Not looking forward to this season of deer hunting in MI.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Hot tea. Get some really nice teas and indulge in as much as you like. I have a wonderful little tea shop nearby and keep a nice collection o hand especially for those cold winter days.

Most of the time I have it without sweeteners or with a little sucralose.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,281 Member
    Hmm, I forgot about this. One thing that helps me is a collection of scarves. When I lived in Europe, everyone wore scarves. It's my go-to when I'm cold (other than making sure I have layers on). For some reason, if my neck is warm, the rest of me is much more inclined to be warm.

I also second the tea idea. Then it's not a calorie bomb that you weren't planning on. Warm water with a lemon slice is yummy too.
  • vmtama27
    vmtama27 Posts: 43 Member
    Ugh same here. I leave my house at 6am to go walking and it's still dark, foggy and freezing. Trying to stay motivated with NO EXCUSES isn't easy! . . . . I found some thick leggings so I start off cool and come home sweating.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    It's still pretty nice here...but in the winter I will be pulling out my indoor bike trainer and mounting my bike on that during nasty days...I'll still hit the road on nicer days. I also tend to spend a bit more time in the weight room in winter.

Food wise, I really enjoy stews and soups...they're warm and whatnot and not really calorie bombs. I would opt for tea over hot chocolate if I was consuming a lot of it...and have the hot chocolate once in awhile.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    At the risk of asking the obvious....have you tried wearing warmer clothing (sweater, heavier socks etc) It's not unusual to feel the cold more when we have less insulation than before.

Try adding a little more fat to your diet too, that may help.
  • Next12jeans
    Next12jeans Posts: 6 Member
    Yeap, already doing lots of exercise, here on the farm with all of the animals. Also do step, Zumba and private training sessions.

Warm clothes are out and on and layered.

Already making stews and soups.

I think fruit teas are the answer, need to go shopping this weekend.

Thanks guys.
  • Machka9
    Embrace winter sports ... take up cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, skating ...
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    How about herb tea? And sweaters. Neither has calories!
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    edited October 2016
    Funny, after reading this thread last night I realized I was cold and couldn't get warm. Our heat was on and set to the same temperature it always is. I was wearing fall clothing, a big sweater and had a blanket to huddle under. No luck. I thought crawling into bed would solve the problem and it did eventually, but not till about 3am. I froze for hours first. We have a couple tiny rooms in our house and I think the next time this happens I'm going to set up a heater and bring the air temp up to something ridiculous.
  • Machka9
    I get cold like that in my office in the mornings ... and then I go climb 10 or 15 flights of stairs, and I'm all warmed up for the next hour or two. Even just getting up and walking briskly around the office can help.

Oh, and one suggestion my mother always made ... a suggestion I never liked, but she was right, it does help ... do the dishes! Stand up, get moving around the kitchen cleaning, and get your hands into hot water. I was always warm after I had done the dishes.