How not to lose any more and tone up?

Options
I'm going to the gym after a few months break, and I want to really tone up. Get some definition to the abs and tone thighs and butt. The thing is if I go to the gym I'm scared I will end up losing more weight in the process. I am 5'4 and 109 pounds (it does fluctuate up though) so it's obvious I really can't weigh any less.

So I am wondering what to do in the gym to achieve my goal and not hurt myself. I always used to do spin, treadmill and then circuits with small weights.

What should I eat and what kind of macros should I have? I already eat healthy, no added sugars, no processed foods, lots of fruit and veg, but what else could I be doing?

Many thanks for reading

Replies

• vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Eat at maintenance and a progressive heavy lifting program (like Strong Lifts5x5) for recomposition (slow process), or you can begin looking into bulk/cutting cycles. Toning up typically means adding muscle. So it just depends on how aggressively you want to do that.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    vespiquenn wrote: »
    Eat at maintenance and a progressive heavy lifting program (like Strong Lifts5x5) for recomposition (slow process), or you can begin looking into bulk/cutting cycles. Toning up typically means adding muscle. So it just depends on how aggressively you want to do that.

This right here is the answer. ^^^^^
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    vespiquenn wrote: »

Typically toning means cutting body fat to expose the muscle.. but that is just being pedantic.

OP, @vespiquenn gave good advice. A recomp is probably a great approach for you; details on recomping can be found in this thread.

Also, in this thread, you will find details on a ton of workout programs. Strong Curves and NROL4W are good programs if you are very new.
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Also, may I direct your attention to the "Goal: Maintaining Weight" forum? Lots of awesome stuff there...