Breakfasts or meal replacement shakes

Options
2»

Replies

• ShaSimone
    ShaSimone Posts: 276
    Options
    I can get by with a piece of fruit for breakfast. But if you like something heartier oatmeal is a great option.

I also have made muffin sized breakfast quiches. Takes a lot of pre-planning to do them all, but so convenient when on the run because they microwave in less than a minute and voila!
    Bacon
    Spinach
    Hashbrown
    Onions and Bell Peppers
    Eggs
    Bake in the oven
    Be sure to coat the muffin tin with cooking spray (mine got stuck and didn't come out of the muffin pan very well)
  • chrome_princess
    chrome_princess Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I can get by with a piece of fruit for breakfast. But if you like something heartier oatmeal is a great option.

I also have made muffin sized breakfast quiches. Takes a lot of pre-planning to do them all, but so convenient when on the run because they microwave in less than a minute and voila!
    Bacon
    Spinach
    Hashbrown
    Onions and Bell Peppers
    Eggs
    Bake in the oven
    Be sure to coat the muffin tin with cooking spray (mine got stuck and didn't come out of the muffin pan very well)

Ohhhh, I forgot about those. Those are good stuff.
  • HotAshMess
    HotAshMess Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I can't do shakes, but here's what I've founds. http://midwestkitchenwitch.blogspot.com/2013/06/breakfast-and-lazy-girl_20.html

I'm a big fan of the fruit and cheese. Right now, there is a cheese stick in my purse, and my coworker brings bananas every day. I also have a list of desk snacks.
  • BeckyJo19
    BeckyJo19 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Super-simple make-ahead egg muffins! 12 eggs, your choice of veggies, sausage, ham, cheese...literally endless possibilities. Mix it all up and place in a 12-slot muffin tin. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes. They're good for 5-7 days in the fridge.
  • rtjenny
    rtjenny Posts: 51
    Options
    I eat breakfast at my desk and some days I take in a bowl of shredded wheat (packed up night before) and I have almond milk in the fridge at work. Other days - I take yogurt and a wee tub of fresh fruit.

I'd also recommend cereal bars - the raw fruit kind with no added sugar - they're made of just pressed fruit (don't let the look of them put you off!)

Also - I have a tub (50g) nuts, raisins, banana chips at my desk (just make sure to watch the sugar content in the raisins, choose ones with no added sugar).

Hope that helps.
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    If I make a breakfast shake it's protein powder, fresh spinach, and a banana.

If you want actual breakfast- there's a ton of breakfast sandwiches in the frozen section of any grocer to choose from, and frozen waffles.

For me, I have a jar of almond butter and some flat bread I keep in my desk so when I can't get breakfast when waking up (those 3 minutes to wait on a frozen waffle is precious time when in Atlanta traffic) I have something at my desk to munch on that's filling and full of protein.
  • rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I eat at my desk every morning, I have to be at work by 7 and I eat breakfast at 9 so I'm not starving by lunch time at noon. I usually have one cup of strawberries (I buy a big bag of pre sliced frozen from Sams club but you can get any kind of frozen fruit you like) and half a cup of low fat cottage cheese. I put the fruit and cottage cheese together in a tupperware container and by the time 9am rolls around its thawed enough to eat (I keep it on my desk to thaw). You can also boil about 5-10 eggs and keep them in the fridge to take and eat during the week, have one with a slice of toast or an English muffin. Oatmeal is another quick and easy breakfast. I bought some Smart Ones oatmeals yesterday, they were 2 for $5 and 2 servings come in a box so I got 4 breakfasts for $5, I also ate a banana with it. I don't recommend drinking meals, it always leaves me very hungry and never makes me feel full.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    My breakfast is more than 300 calories, but I have a protein shake (straight up just powder and water) a spoonful of peanut butter, and a glass of soy milk. Protein, fat; it's all there to start the day off right. If I have to rush out the door, I do a piece of bread with 2 tbsp of peanut butter. 290 calories and it's a good balance of carbs and fat, but a little light on protein.

Egg casseroles (or muffins for individual servings) as mentioned freeze well.
  • degausser234
    degausser234 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    You could try making overnight refrigerator oatmeal.
    Here are some recipes that I use:
    http://www.theyummylife.com/Refrigerator_Oatmeal
  • toomanycats75
    Options
    An EAS Carb Control shake (available in the bodybuilder section at Wal-Mart. I like that they don't have tons of corn syrup, etc.) and half a banana works well when in a hurry.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    My go-to breakfast at work is 1cup cottage cheese (I use full-fat) with 1cup fruit, usually frozen or fresh blueberries. All fits in one tupperware container. And if you used frozen fruit/berries, you don't have to refrigerate once you get to work b/c the frozen fruit keeps the whole thing cold.

303 cals - 29g carb (38%), 25g pro (33%), 10g fat (29%)
  • larsensue
    larsensue Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I have a box of individual oatmeals at my desk and just bring a sm container of silk coconut milk to work everyday. about 30 minutes into work I walk to the cafetaria prepare my oatmeal and eat at my desk while I work. easy peasy.....
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time planning a good healthy breakfast in the mornings. I usually don't have time to eat before leaving the house so my first meal is always at my desk (please don't suggest I get up earlier- I have to be at work at 6 so I'm up at 4 to get a work out in prior to work and I am lucky to get to bed before 10 so I just can't do it) I am looking into having a shake in the morning but I want to know whats good- I don't want to spend a bunch of money on something I can't even drink. I'm looking for something under 300 calories that is both healthy and edible. Of course if you have any good ideas for a work friendly breakfast share those too! Thanks!

Have you thought of skipping breakfast? If not batch make breakfast burritos and freeze them, they reheat fine in the microwave

inb4shakeology

^This. Are you hungry by the time you get to work? You don't need to eat breakfast, or have a "typical" breakfast meal. If you pack your lunch, maybe just increase it by the 300 calories and macros you would consume during breakfast. Sometimes when I workout early in the morning, I don't have much of an appetite until after 12. As long as you are tracking your calories and macros, missing breakfast will not hinder your progress or cause you to gain weight. Eating above your caloric maintenance because you are starving from not eating breakfast is what causes weight gain. At the end of the day, whatever works best for your sitiuation is optimal.
  • Katie5961
    Katie5961 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    DON'T skip breakfast, ever!!!!! They call it break-fast for a reason. Break the Fast. Your body is starving after sleeping all night and if you skip breakfast your metabolism WILL slow down! Even if it's just a piece of fruit, you have to have something.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    breakfast > pre-made reheated breakfast > skipping breakfast > miracleshakeproduct

I'm in with the premade breakfast burritos. I'll cook a ton of eggs/egg whites, add a protein and cheese, wrap it up and toss it in the fridge.

grab and go, literally. Plus, I already know what's in every one of 'em. Make 5 burritos on the weekend for the upcoming week.

This. When I'm in breakfast mode (often I do/feel better by skipping BF and eating my first meal at noon) anyway when in breakfast mode I will keep pre made burritos around or I will cook 10 eggs, place in 2 in a container with 5 slices of canadian bacon. Morning of, grab a container throw in microwave for 60 seconds slap onto an english muffin and eat it while I drive. Or keep hard boiled eggs around and eat those with a yogurt and fruit.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    DON'T skip breakfast, ever!!!!! They call it break-fast for a reason. Break the Fast. Your body is starving after sleeping all night and if you skip breakfast your metabolism WILL slow down! Even if it's just a piece of fruit, you have to have something.

No. This is a myth. Perfectly fine to skip breakfast, if it works for you.

http://examine.com/faq/do-i-need-to-eat-six-times-a-day-to-keep-my-metabolism-high.html
  • kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options

Ever??? I don't think this is true. If so, please show me the facts. I know plenty of people who have no problems with skipping breakfast.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Make your breakfast the night before. Yes it takes time but if you can't do it in the morning before you leave then this is a viable option. I used to make my lunch and breakfast for the next day when I got home from work and just grabbed and went in the morning.

Do you have access to a microwave or a toaster oven and can you get up to make something? If yes then an english muffin(or toast) with PB and a hard boiled egg. Scrambled eggs made in the microwave or made the night before and heated up. PB&J sandwich. Cereal (you can even keep the box in a drawer at your desk and just bring in the milk).

There's a lot of things you can bring to work and make there for breakfast that is much better and nutritionally sound than a meal replacement shake.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options

I don't think so.

I'll skip breakfast on occasion because I'm just not hungry in the morning. I am not going to force myself to eat just because it's morning.