New to running

Options
Does anyone have any tips on how to like running? I know this is kind of a silly question..I did the c25k for like a week and a half..and quit because my knees were killing me (I was doing a squat challenge at the same time, so that probably didn't help) I know I definitely get a better workout while doing the c25k, but I absolutely dread it. I don't have a treadmill so I have to do it outside, and I'm alright on flat road, but the hills at the end of the run kill me. I know most of you are going to probably say just do it. And that's probably what I need to do. But I'm scared of the "ding" that tells me to start running. I listen to music too when I"m doing it. Just would like some advise please:)

Replies

• alc649
    alc649 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how fast I was going, I wasn't actually running, just jogging really. I'll try and keep that in mine @peleroja thank you :) I've got alotta weight I'm lugging around..I've lost 20lbs but still at 264.
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Running isn't for everybody. Why are you doing it if you dread it?
  • cbro70
    cbro70 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I run an hour almost every day and I would have to agree with @peleroja, slow down !!! Once you are able to jog at a nice steady pace you will start to enjoy it more, make sure you have the music to match, sometimes faster music will cause you to run faster.
  • alc649
    Options
    @Philtex When I did do the c25k I lost more weight. All I'm doing now is walking and hip hop abs. I feel like I need to step it up as far as working out goes.

@cbro70 Yeah I know listening to fast music makes me walk faster..Maybe I just need to focus on the music on not on worrying about that "time to run ding"
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    I get so excited when I see people new to running!! I was new to running a year and a half ago. I too hated it!!! I travel with my son for baseball and found it much easier to pack my running shoes than my bike...LOL!!! I started with Walk/Run intervals. Run as long as you can, then walk to catch your breath. Once you have recovered run again as long as you can. Don't worry about how fast you are going. Once you have mastered being able to run without stopping then you can work on your speed. The number one problem for new runners is trying to do too much too soon. I hope that you'll learn to love running as much as I do!!!!

If you'd like feel free to add me as a friend, we can motivate each other!!!
  • cbro70
    Options
    The other thing you want to focus on is your form. think about how you run so this will help you avoid injuries and pulled muscles. Just take it slow you will get faster and better with time. I started last year and couldn't jog longer than 2 or 3 min and now I run for 60+ 5 times a week.
  • cbro70
    Options
    That great advice @Joanna2012B, I did the same thing last year. I remember my first 5K I had to stop 3 times to walk and catch my breath. The last one I did a few months ago I ran in under 30 min. The best thing is once you love running you will always love and miss it when you don't or can't run. It is so relaxing and the best way to burn fat.

You can add me to if you like, I will do the best I can to help. I have ran for a long time (13 years in the Army) !!!
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    I will certainly try to help you not dread running!!!

Agree with @cbro70 your form is important. Try to land mid foot rather than heel to toe! Have you thought about joining a running group or signing up for a race to have some incentive? I sign up for a race every few months. My next race is November 5th...hoping to beat my time!!
  • cbro70
    Options
    True it is important to set some kind of goal. Like finish a 5K without walking, or run for 30 min non stop. Then you can always set new goals.
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    alc649 wrote: »
    @Philtex When I did do the c25k I lost more weight. All I'm doing now is walking and hip hop abs. I feel like I need to step it up as far as working out goes.

I hope it works out for you.
  • alc649
    Options
    Thank you for all the advise guys! I'd like to sign up for a 5k, but low on funds right now :( wish they had a free one!
  • cbro70
    Options
    You are welcome !! Wish you all the luck, I think you will be fine and will grow to love running. If you ever need help or motivation you can always ask
  • alc649
    Options
    I do alright in the beginning..it's like mid way through I'm like ah man..I don't wanna run anymore.lol first week of c25k is like a 3 min walk warm up, then alternating between 60 mins jogging and 1.5 min of walking
  • alc649
    Options
    Dude, you guys are AWESOME!
  • Gotrek1
    Gotrek1 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I don';t run per say, I walk fast and add small runs in my walk. I set goals. for example as I'm walking I find an object like a bridge or whatever and say to myself I'm going to run to that bridge. It motivates me not to stop. I often tell myself "woah that bridge is way farther then I though" but push through because that's my goal.

rinse and reapeat. I imagine eventually I'll just run all the time but I'm happy even if I don't make it there :)

So try setting a visual goal for yourself when you're thinking about stopping.
  • dancin_homie
    dancin_homie Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I absolutely hated running as well until I got into C25K, and then I still didn't love it the first few runs :P but like others have said be sure to pace yourself comfortably and work up to running longer and faster. I haven't been at it too long yet (only week 3 of running 3X a week) but I now find it to be a nice addition and change to my typical strength workouts, and a great time to relax and jam to some music :)
  • cbro70
    Options
    One thing I think about sometimes to help motivate me to keep pushing is to think of all the people who would love to be able to do what I can (no matter how much you run/walk). Thousands of people who can't because of health reason or just to lazy. It is like running for them in a way.
  • cbro70
    Options
    @dancin_homie congrats !!! just keep doing what your doing and before long you will running all the time !!
  • Mamzelc606
    Mamzelc606 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am doing c25k right now. I had already started in the past and quit because it was killing me. This time I run waaaayyy slower and I enjoy it, actually look forward to my runs. I am on week 4 now and I can already see my speed naturally increasing. (I run on a treadmill btw)