Opposite problem than others:(

Options
I seem to have just the opposite problem of most people on this site. My weight is consistently going down each week by a pound or two, but my waist measurement is the same! I haven't even lost 1/4 inch in several weeks. I'm exercising 5-6 times a week, both cardio and lifting.

My clothes are looser, even around the waist, but the measurement is the same. And I know the measurement is correct since I go to my work clinic and get measured there.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on?

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Probably the last place you'll lose from.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    ... Are you measuring other parts of your body? People tend to drop weight differently (some people will lose tons of weight off of one area before losing it others, for instance), but for many, the waist is the last place for fat loss. If your clothes are looser but your waist measurement isn't changing, your hips, bottom, ribcage, thighs, etc. could all be losing.

Take measurements for every part of your body, not just waist. Neck, hips, calves, ankles, wrists, thighs, bicep, forearm, etc... these are ALL places the weight could be disappearing from before it leaves the waist.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I seem to have just the opposite problem of most people on this site. My weight is consistently going down each week by a pound or two, but my waist measurement is the same! I haven't even lost 1/4 inch in several weeks. I'm exercising 5-6 times a week, both cardio and lifting.

My clothes are looser, even around the waist, but the measurement is the same. And I know the measurement is correct since I go to my work clinic and get measured there.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on?

If your cloths are looser than you then either they stretched or you lost inches. Measuring is difficult, for the originals did you pull to hard and the tape sunk in a bit and now you are doing it looser, did you measure 1/4 higher or lower than last time. So go by cloths fitting and mirror instead
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    It might be just your normal body shape. I don't have a super tiny waist, so when I lose, it just doesn't get a lot smaller after a certain point. If you have more of an "apple" body shape, it will take longer to lose off your belly and might not ever get as small as those with a natural hourglass or pear-shape.

Are you losing inches elsewhere?
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    ... Are you measuring other parts of your body? People tend to drop weight differently (some people will lose tons of weight off of one area before losing it others, for instance), but for many, the waist is the last place for fat loss. If your clothes are looser but your waist measurement isn't changing, your hips, bottom, ribcage, thighs, etc. could all be losing.

Take measurements for every part of your body, not just waist. Neck, hips, calves, ankles, wrists, thighs, bicep, forearm, etc... these are ALL places the weight could be disappearing from before it leaves the waist.
    boom. yes. this.
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    What measurements have you been taking? Just the waist? You are losing inches somewhere since your clothes are fitting looser, just not where you happen to be measuring.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I lost 20 lbs and my waist measurement stayed almost the same. I'm shaped like Sponge Bob so no matter how much I lose my waist doesn't really change that much. Weight came off my arms, legs, face, butt but my waist varies next to nothing.
  • TheBitSlinger
    TheBitSlinger Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    vGJkcxs.jpg
  • rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem in the beginning. I had to lose over 30lbs before I was able to fully go down a jean size. My belly stays pooched out but my hips/waist are getting smaller but not by much. I've lost 54 lbs so far and I'm only down a total of 3 sizes so yeah I have that issue too. I've heard the belly is the last thing to go and I believe it.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem with my calves. I've lost from my thighs, butt, stomach, chest, and arms, but those calves have stubbornly stayed the exact same measurement (16.5" at the largest bit) since February. I finally decided I shouldn't worry about it unless my thighs become smaller than them, then I'll worry about it.
  • 63hanson
    63hanson Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    The waist is the only measurement they take at my work clinic. I tried to take my measurements in other places at home but can never seem to measure the exact same spot twice.

As long as I keep losing and my clothes keep getting looser, I guess I won't worry about the waist measurement so much.
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but how can your clothes get bigger if you haven't gotten smaller?! :huh:
  • AngryBlueberry
    Options
    correct me if im wrong, but youu probably changed your workout habits, but not your food habits. i take it that since you workout 3 - 5 times a week, id assume u have a active lifestyle. since you move more, you burn more. i think you have a calory deficit in your diet. unfortunately for me, your diet plan isin't public, so i cannot confirm that. you definatly should hit a calory calculator.

just as a guide, i tried some random numbers! (u should hit the calculator yourself) a 50 year old woman, weighting 160 pound, and measuring 5'10" with an active lifestyle should eat 2210 calories daily just to MAINTAIN weight. add 250 cal on top of that, and you should start gaining again! eat enough protein to allow your body to build muscle, especially 30 min after you workout. protein is the building block for muscle!

you definatly should count what go in, and what go out.

to set your calory calculator go to: my home > goals > change goals> enter new data & goals!

i hope that help! and keep up the good work :)