Favorite healthy filling foods?

Options
jopalis
jopalis Posts: 238 Member
I have found some foods that keep me full longer with fiber and protein. For example, old fashioned oats with chia and a cooked egg. Turkey chili. Sweet potato with a lean protein and a bunch of steamed veggies. Looking for more ideas. Shakes and protein bars or frozen diet dinners don't seem to keep me satieted.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of lentils.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Non fat greek yogurt with some fruit and a little granola for crunch. Keeps me going until dinnertime.
  • Red_Pill
    Red_Pill Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Chicken Salad. Meat salads of you wanna get creative.
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Blue Diamond Habanero BBQ almonds. The Soy Wasabi ones are good too.
  • PokerChris
    PokerChris Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I find cantelope to be a filling snack or part of a meal. It's only 10 cals per oz. and 6-7 ozs. is a fairly generous serving.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    PokerChris wrote: »
    I find cantelope to be a filling snack or part of a meal. It's only 10 cals per oz. and 6-7 ozs. is a fairly generous serving.

gaww, i love cantaloupe. *drool*

i eat oranges when i'm concentrating on this kind of thing. if i have a bowl full of orange segments broken into small bites at my elbow, i can get through most of a work day without once thinking of chocolate or gummy bears.

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Don't look for single foods, or "healthy", or "filling". Enough food and a balanced diet of a variety of real foods will nourish you, because it's nutritious. Eat a little bit of everything every day, and switch it up, eat food you like, and expect to feel hungry before meals, that's just a cue it's time to eat again, not a sign something's gone awry.
  • Chunkahlunkah
    Chunkahlunkah Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter toast and a glass of milk
  • Chunkahlunkah
    Chunkahlunkah Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    As a fellow sweet potato fan, you may like this meal: panko-encrusted turkey cutlets topped with mashed sweet potato. Yum!
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I agree with fiber and protein. For me, lean meats and vegetables like green beans, asparagus, cauliflower, mushrooms, etc. do the trick. With carbs, I will be hungrier sooner and with processed carbs, I will be real hungry real soon.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Cucumber is VERY filling and almost no calories! You can add it to salad, eat on its own, add to a rice bowl, add to quinoa salad, add to a sandwich...
  • jopalis
    Options
    As a fellow sweet potato fan, you may like this meal: panko-encrusted turkey cutlets topped with mashed sweet potato. Yum!

Oh...that sounds awesome! I had seen a recipe for a sweet potato ginger soup. I will have to figure out where I saw it and post a link if you want.

• jopalis
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Chadxx wrote: »
    I agree with fiber and protein. For me, lean meats and vegetables like green beans, asparagus, cauliflower, mushrooms, etc. do the trick. With carbs, I will be hungrier sooner and with processed carbs, I will be real hungry real soon.

I totally agree. I am like starving when it's a lot of processed carbs. I wish a good protein shake or protein bar would work for me. Works for my husband. But I get soooo hungry when I try to do just that for a meal.
  • jopalis
    Options
    Peanut butter toast and a glass of milk

that's my later night snack if I am hungry. I always feel I shouldn't do bread before sleep though... Not sure.
  • jopalis
    Options
    PokerChris wrote: »

gaww, i love cantaloupe. *drool*

i eat oranges when i'm concentrating on this kind of thing. if i have a bowl full of orange segments broken into small bites at my elbow, i can get through most of a work day without once thinking of chocolate or gummy bears.

I have to watch the carbs though. I have been borderline T2 diabetic. I eat fruit but in moderation. Still I could include one with a meal. Thanks.
  • jopalis
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of lentils.

Yes...love legumes to keep me full and great nutritionally!
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I eat a crapton of spinach (cooked or raw) and apples and watermelon.
  • Sharon009
    Sharon009 Posts: 327 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Toasted Ezekiel bread topped with almond butter and strawberries tossed with cinnamon.
  • jimenaspam
    jimenaspam Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I use my blender to re-grind oat-bran into a very fine powder, and often mix some up with water for a quick snack. I keep a tub in my desk and throw in a couple of TB into a glass.
    Also, I LIVE on green smoothies, and I've been adding beans in for extra protein!
  • jopalis
    Options
    jimenaspam wrote: »
    I use my blender to re-grind oat-bran into a very fine powder, and often mix some up with water for a quick snack. I keep a tub in my desk and throw in a couple of TB into a glass.
    Also, I LIVE on green smoothies, and I've been adding beans in for extra protein!

Yes, my husband has done that with oatmeal and added protein powder, chia seeds, etc. He makes a smoothie with them and almond milk.