Sick of being fat

Options

Replies

• Maateline
    Maateline Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Small suggestion in addition to what everyone else has said: try switching to only drinking water and never soda or juice. Those calories add up quickly, but are easy to cut out. Good luck with your new, healthier lifestyle!
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Did you really mean 60 grams of carbs per meal or snack is a diabetic diet? And not doable for you? Are you sure you don't mean 60 for the whole day? I just finished my day of eating and only had 156 grams of carbs total. If I had 60 with every meal and snack it would be 300 (I eat 3 meals and 2 snacks a day). That seems fairly generous.

I think we might have discovered the key to why you are gaining so much weight- a large excess of carbs!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Did you really mean 60 grams of carbs per meal or snack is a diabetic diet? And not doable for you? Are you sure you don't mean 60 for the whole day? I just finished my day of eating and only had 156 grams of carbs total. If I had 60 with every meal and snack it would be 300 (I eat 3 meals and 2 snacks a day). That seems fairly generous.

I think we might have discovered the key to why you are gaining so much weight- a large excess of carbs!
    Carbs don't make you gain weight. Calories do.

Given that if she's eating 60g of carbs with each meal that's already a minimum of 240 calories per meal just from carbs - but that would mean that her tracking/logging would really have to be whacked if those aren't already accounted for.
  • courtneyfabulous
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Carbs don't make you gain weight. Calories do.

Given that if she's eating 60g of carbs with each meal that's already a minimum of 240 calories per meal just from carbs - but that would mean that her tracking/logging would really have to be whacked if those aren't already accounted for.

True calories make you fat not carbs- but if she can't stay under 60 grams of carbs per meal I imagine the meal portions are rather large or they are calorically dense foods like pasta, bread, sweets... meaning she is most likely going over daily calories if that's the case. (She already mentioned she hasn't been measuring/weighing her food).

Also there is a benefit to having a good balance of protein, carbs, and fats- and not eating an excessively large amount of carbs. If they are high glycemic carbs or even low glycemic but in large portions it will cause blood sugar to spike and fat storage, then a crash later which usually causes snacking. Also large amounts of carbs make hunger cravings much stronger.

Or if she is actually eating correct calories but has an excess of carbs, that means there must be insufficient protein and/or fat. Both protein and fat are essential for proper hormone function including hormones that are responsible for fat loss/utilization of body fat for energy. And you need to get enough protein to maintain muscle mass and more muscle mass means a higher metabolism (and health in general), while lower muscle mass results in a very slow metabolism. If she's getting a lot of carbs and little protein I'm willing to bet that's slowing down her metabolism.

So that's what I meant by it being a probably solution to why weight gain is happening.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    OP, thanks for doing the important work you do. Totally get it that travel limits food choices, especially in places dealing with catastrophe aftermath.

I echo everything others said about the food scale. It makes a huge difference. You don't realize what a hassle guestimating is until you stop. Scales are light and easy to pack and inexpensive. Also agree vigorously that you do not need to add exercise.

I also hear you and respect what you are saying about the convenience of meal replacement shakes. Could there be a disconnect with the shakes that's interfering with your progress? Supplements are totally unregulated, so maybe it doesn't actually contain what the label says? Or the scoop measurement is not what's represented on the label? I know a label serving, "one scoop" (21g), of my protein powder is about 3/4 a level scoop.

Maybe a reasonable next step is to weigh the shake portions instead of relying on the scoop. And maybe try a different shake product. I'm wondering also if you get enough fiber (i.e. vegetables). Honestly, this may sound gross to you, but in your situation on the road, I think I would buy a couple cans of black beans and a compact can opener and eat 100g of those with breakfast or dinner every day. Out of the can, room temp. Carrots, celery, spinach -- I'm a huge fan, and you can store & eat those room temp, too. Maybe some hummus in the mini fridge.

I hear your frustration loud and clear, and I think you really have success within reach with very few adjustments. Best to you!
  • amandavgomez
    amandavgomez Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    I just want to eat like a normal person. Realisticly, I'm not going to "work out". I'm tired, I have to many other things to do, and I'm often in pain from a bad back.

I can try to move every hour, get at least 10000 steps a day and make healthier choices when I eat. That's all I got time for. My diet has to match my families diet. I'm not buying and preparing special meals for just me. I'm to the point where I eat to get rid of the pain in my stomach or head, or sometimes because I'm bored. I hate dealing with food, I don't even care if I drank a protein shake for every meal and never ate food again. I'd still gain another 40+ lbs by next year. And frankly, I'm sick of being fat. Sick of feeling like crap. Sick of trying to find time for the gym. It's not as simple as having a calorie deficit. I stopped eating what they gave me for my calories burned over a week ago. Most days I have a deficit.

Well....life is about priorities. Right now it sounds to me like you don't consider your health to be a priority and as a result it is suffering. So either you can start considering it a priority and stop doing other things to make time to prepare healthy meals or portions and get some exercise or you can choose to continue as you have been. If you choose to continue I'm not sure why you are expecting your health to improve however if your current habits have gotten you where you are.

Sounds like your unsatisfied with your health so you are going to have to either start prioritizing it or just accept your current level of health or fitness.

There isn't an easy fix, you have to work for this. If you come out of the gate saying you cannot expend any effort then Im not sure what you are expecting to change.

I haven't just come out of the gate. I've been trying to lose weight actively for about 3 years now. When I started I was 180 lbs. I had a different job and worked out every day at the gym. A few things have changed and i gained back what i had lost plus some (40lbs). I rarely drink anything but water. I eat the recommended serving size for everything. When i eat out i opt for fruit or salad when its available. I rarely eat fries, chips, or fatty meats. I eat half of my food not all of it. My 13 yr old eats more then I do.

I had MFP app years ago and deleted it because it did not help me. I just started using it again. I have tried so many different things and keep gaining. Most of the foods i eat come in a package. I scan it and eat what the package says a serving is. I don't get how MFP can't accurately count calories this way but ok. People say I need a scale, it's the only way. Fine. I will get one. That is actually something I have never tried yet and because I've tried for so long and am willing to try most anything I will try this method.

I've made many changes to my life in attempts to be healthier and thinner. I've spent more money then i care to admit. There are things I can't do and things I refuse to do. I'm not doing anything extreme or crazy. If the only way is aerobics at the gym everyday, not going to happen right now. I work nights, have kids, and must get my sleep to function. I'm not willing to give up the few hours I get to spend with my family each evening to hit the gym. Also not giving up any sleep for it either. That doesn't mean it's not important to me. It just means I need a plan that doesn't include a gym right now.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    You said there aren't a lot of options - basically just fast food. Are there any grocery stores available? You can find plenty of nutritious, easy to prep/no prep foods at the grocery store. No need for fast food. I don't eat that garbage when I'm traveling. It makes me feel sick anyway, so I wouldn't want to be on the road eating fast food and feeling terrible . Find a grocery store. Even convenience stores - which are loaded with junk - should have at least a few decent items. You just need to read labels and make good choices. Good luck! :)
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Amanda, forgive me for repeating myself. I don't think you need to make major lifestyle changes. I think you're really close to success. You don't have to go to the gym every day. Whatever you do, don't give up your family time. Don't undertake a major change. Just be strategic about the small changes you can sustain.
  • courtneyfabulous
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    Forgot to mention one thought, OP, about eating "like a normal person." Something like 50% of Americans are overweight and 33% obese. Technically, normal is overweight. Think hard about if that's really what you want.

That was my thought too. So true.
  • melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,348 Member
    Options
    Ok. Good feedback. As for having better options for food here, not really. I've scoured google. I picked up some snacks and grapes at Walmart last night. Since hurricane Mathew hit half the resteruants are closed still.

I don't like deli meat sandwiches and that's about as healthy as it gets (Subway type places).

I will buy a scale.

A want to eat normal as in eat what everybody else eats.

By that defintion, nobody eats normal...everybody eats different. I don't pig or shellfish. Yes, it's true. Bacon makes me gag. My husband hates fish. One of our friends hates anything fiberous *fruit, veg...is also VERY overweight. We eat like ourselves. When we become health conscious, we either eat like lunatics (grapefruit diet or the all-bacon diet, anyone?) or like our better selves. Just paying attention to what does and doesn't work helps...and measuring and logging, either here or on paper.

My husband decided he was going to actively help this time around on my weightloss journey and he's found he isn't eating some of the crap he used to because he doesn't want to log it...and that says SO much. And he's lost 5 pounds in the past month.

Losing weight on the road is HARD but you can do it!!
  • zilkah
    zilkah Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    When you reduce portion sizes it takes a bit to get used to, but after you get used to what a REAL "normal amount" is it's honestly surprising.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I can actually say I've been where you are currently sitting mentally (okay, and I use to work for State Farm too ;) ). There was literally no time. Somewhere along the way I hit the "I'm sick of being fat stage." And I sat there and got mad, frustrated, etc. for a number of years. This year, I finally decided that my health would be a priority. It had to be. I said all that to basically say that AaronK123 is right. Life is about priorities. My 18yr old said that to me today when I was complaining about how much work it is to lose weight and make changes. I think, until you hit the point where you decide your health is a priority, you will probably continue to sit where you're at. I do want to encourage you to get a scale. My first several weeks on MFP all I did was weigh and measure everything I ate. I didn't try to follow a deficit, etc. I just ate my normal way. Low and behold, I was eating at maintenance everyday. The scale will be an eye opener for you so I'm glad you're willing to try it.

Everyone has given you good advice for losing so I won't repeat it. I do hope you'll take some of the suggestions. They have been good.

As for gaining weight - BTDT too. At one point I was gaining 20#'s (literally) in a month. We did the whole check the thyroid levels (TSH) but the doctor stopped there. That's a problem. Make sure your doctor checked your Free T3, Free T4, TPO and TAA antibodies. If your TSH is above 1.5 that is a problem. Most reference ranges will say someone is "normal" up to 4.5 or 5.0 but I don't know anyone that can function at that level. If your FT4 is normal but your FT3 is low then it means your body is not efficiently converting T4 to T3 b/c it is low (or lacking in enough) selenium. So make sure your doctor did a FULL thyroid work up, not just TSH. You can check out www.stopthethyroidmadness.com website to get a good understanding and also check your body symptoms. Then talk to your doctor if it's warranted. Once someone explained all of the thyroid stuff to me we did discover mine was way off (even with a "normal" TSH). Treating it with armour has significantly improved life and weight loss. So do make sure this is not a factor right now.

All the best! And I loved SF too so I love that you love your job. :smiley: