Body fat percent?

Evening,

From what i gather pictures can be an accurate judge of BF%. So can any of the more educated users take a guess at what my body fat % is?

Seems all my excess weight is around my belly.

BgdxTgg.png

Tnx, i appreciate your time.

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    30ish.
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    ~30%, it's easier to tell when you get below 20%
  • BiggeA
    BiggeA Posts: 11 Member
    edited October 2016
    Ouch, i was guessing 25% maybe? Least i don't think I'm as big as images i have seen that are shared by others here.

Least i dont have excess fat on my chest.
    body-fat-percentage-chart-men-women.jpg

My main reason for asking was because I'm on a 20% calorie deficit and was thinking a recomp would be better to try as i do lift and it would allow me to eat at maintenance. However I gather the best times for recomps are 15-20% BF range so If I'm 30% I'm not even close yet.

Thx for the replies.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    I would cut first
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    I'd guess around 30% as well.
  • BiggeA
    Cut it is, ty all.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    I'd agree with the others, somewhere around 30%. Maybe just shy of it. Here's another bodyfat percentage chart in addition to the one you posted above:

sfwbul49t4ua.jpg
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Yep, 30ish (before I saw any of the other responses :) ). Best of luck with your goals.
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Well, I'm going to disagree with those that say to just cut. Yeah, you'll lose fat. And muscle.

I've read from a few trainers who say that they actually find recomp the most beneficial to people who are right where you are: 30% body fat. You don't need to be chasing the "last five pounds" to do a recomp. The science actually works at any weight. It's just a matter of approach, and if you think it's right for you.

Personally, I prefer the recomp approach. I enjoy gaining the muscle and getting stronger while watching pounds drop and inches melt. Overall bodyfat percentage drops. Lean tissue is retained.

But - the scale will not move as fast as a straight cut. Because you'll be losing mostly fat, as opposed to 50/50 fat/lean tissue.

Now, if you can handle the mental aspect of this, knowing the scale won't move fast, and if you can handle a more rigid diet, then I think the results over time are superior.

Stuff that has helped me:

1) The scale moves slower, so take measurements and pictures. These will help you realize you're making progress even when it seems like you're not.

2) Know that this is a process that takes time. Sometimes you just have to reassure yourself. If you're sticking to your dietary plan and lifting plan, you'll see results.

3) Adjust your diet. CICO is the king, of course, and the deficit is mandatory to lose anything, but in order to build muscle and shed fat at the same time, you need to really monitor not just what you eat, but when you eat it. Low GI carbs throughout the day (this is why bodybuilders eat so much damn brown rice) to keep your blood-sugar levels even and prevent spikes, and high GI carbs only immediately after a workout to restore your glycogen. Have protein and high GI carbs ready to go within 30 minutes post-workout. Understand your protein goals and supplement to achieve them (protein shakes). Creatine for muscle growth (via water retention).

The Creatine is going to make the first month difficult; you're not going to see the scale move at all (you may actually gain a pound or two the first couple weeks, as your muscles take in the Creatine and additional water), and you're going to feel like you're failing. But if you are lifting 3-5 times per week, primarily big, compound lifts, and you're fueling yourself correctly, you will see results after the first four weeks (you're also going go FEEL the results as well as your muscles grow and you get stronger).

It's not for everyone. But I can't imagine just cutting anymore, after doing it this way, and watching my gains drop away, and watching lean muscle tissue get eaten up.

Obviously, up to you what you do. Wish you the best.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    25-30%
  • BiggeA
    Well, I'm going to disagree with those that say to just cut. Yeah, you'll lose fat. And muscle.

I've read from a few trainers who say that they actually find recomp the most beneficial to people who are right where you are: 30% body fat. You don't need to be chasing the "last five pounds" to do a recomp. The science actually works at any weight. It's just a matter of approach, and if you think it's right for you.

Personally, I prefer the recomp approach. I enjoy gaining the muscle and getting stronger while watching pounds drop and inches melt. Overall bodyfat percentage drops. Lean tissue is retained.

But - the scale will not move as fast as a straight cut. Because you'll be losing mostly fat, as opposed to 50/50 fat/lean tissue.

Now, if you can handle the mental aspect of this, knowing the scale won't move fast, and if you can handle a more rigid diet, then I think the results over time are superior.

1) The scale moves slower, so take measurements and pictures. These will help you realize you're making progress even when it seems like you're not.

2) Know that this is a process that takes time. Sometimes you just have to reassure yourself. If you're sticking to your dietary plan and lifting plan, you'll see results.

3) Adjust your diet. CICO is the king, of course, and the deficit is mandatory to lose anything, but in order to build muscle and shed fat at the same time, you need to really monitor not just what you eat, but when you eat it. Low GI carbs throughout the day (this is why bodybuilders eat so much damn brown rice) to keep your blood-sugar levels even and prevent spikes, and high GI carbs only immediately after a workout to restore your glycogen. Have protein and high GI carbs ready to go within 30 minutes post-workout. Understand your protein goals and supplement to achieve them (protein shakes). Creatine for muscle growth (via water retention).

The Creatine is going to make the first month difficult; you're not going to see the scale move at all (you may actually gain a pound or two the first couple weeks, as your muscles take in the Creatine and additional water), and you're going to feel like you're failing. But if you are lifting 3-5 times per week, primarily big, compound lifts, and you're fueling yourself correctly, you will see results after the first four weeks (you're also going go FEEL the results as well as your muscles grow and you get stronger).

It's not for everyone. But I can't imagine just cutting anymore, after doing it this way, and watching my gains drop away, and watching lean muscle tissue get eaten up.

To be honest i don't care much for the scale. I'm currently 167.8lb at 5ft 7in. Seems I'm about 10lbs over a healthy weight for my height going by most calculators. The main reason for my diet is to get rid of the pinch-able fat around my waist. Not so much what the scale tells me.

I've been on a calorie deficit for 48 days now going by mfp. I assume i was 175lb when i started as i didn't have a scale at the time. Looking in a mirror today i have not lost much. However I've only cutted 15-17% TDEE up to this point (and first few weeks i had no food scale). I didn't want to lose muscle, or would likely have started at 25% deficit. I have increased it to 20% a few days ago hoping to speed up the process.

Going by what I've read I'm in a constant state of muscle lose for 6 weeks and counting since I'm always under TDEE. Why i considered the recomp. If it takes me a year to lose 5 lbs thats fine. Like i said, I'm mainly interested in removing the pinch-able fat.

I lift 3 times a week, a variation of strong lifts (only have dumb bells so) but i do the same exercises that are in that program. All compounds except for 1 arm rows. I try to avoid all supplements due to quality concerns. Seems most have low quality standards and end up having higher toxins. Creatine is among them. I appreciate the advice, but I'll never take anything outside of protein powder.

I am interested in any links or websites that go into any detail on a 30% BF recomp.

Tnx for the advice and comments from all that have contributed.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    BiggeA wrote: »

To be honest i don't care much for the scale. I'm currently 167.8lb at 5ft 7in. Seems I'm about 10lbs over a healthy weight for my height going by most calculators. The main reason for my diet is to get rid of the pinch-able fat around my waist. Not so much what the scale tells me.

I've been on a calorie deficit for 48 days now going by mfp. I assume i was 175lb when i started as i didn't have a scale at the time. Looking in a mirror today i have not lost much. However I've only cutted 15-17% TDEE up to this point (and first few weeks i had no food scale). I didn't want to lose muscle, or would likely have started at 25% deficit. I have increased it to 20% a few days ago hoping to speed up the process.

Going by what I've read I'm in a constant state of muscle lose for 6 weeks and counting since I'm always under TDEE. Why i considered the recomp. If it takes me a year to lose 5 lbs thats fine. Like i said, I'm mainly interested in removing the pinch-able fat.

I lift 3 times a week, a variation of strong lifts (only have dumb bells so) but i do the same exercises that are in that program. All compounds except for 1 arm rows. I try to avoid all supplements due to quality concerns. Seems most have low quality standards and end up having higher toxins. Creatine is among them. I appreciate the advice, but I'll never take anything outside of protein powder.

I am interested in any links or websites that go into any detail on a 30% BF recomp.

If you are getting sufficient amounts of protein, eating in a moderate deficit, and performing resistance exercise which "tells" your muscle that they are needed, muscle loss should be minimal. You may even be building a bit of muscle (depending on those same factors.) You may be reading that losing lean mass is unavoidable, which is true, but lean mass includes water, bone, organs, etc.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    BiggeA wrote: »

Personally, I'd avoid a recoup and cut. Recomp will give slow results, and you won't notice much change in the mirror for a while, which can be demoralising.

If I were you, I'd focus on losing fat. Then gaining muscle

This is what I think too.

OP, I also think you look about 30%. From what you describe, you are doing well and losing the weight in a slow and sustainable way. You really don't have that much to lose. Just keep on keeping on until you reach your goal weight, and then do a recomp.

@colors_fade, meal timing is irrelevant to muscle build and weight loss.
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    SLLRunner wrote: »

You keep right on thinking that.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited October 2016
    .dupe
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    I agree that you are doing well losing slowly, keep at it

I wouldn't recomp at your BF though
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited October 2016
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    I agree that you are doing well losing slowly, keep at it

I wouldn't recomp at your BF though

I agree with this. While it's said that recomp can be done at any BF level, I personally think it's best done when your BF is fairly low.

You're in a position to possible reap some newbie gains with your lifting program. Keep at it.

As has been mentioned, keeping your protein intake up, combined with your lifting and slow rate of loss should keep your muscle loss to a minimum.

It's worth noting that people bearing extra weight often add extra muscle in order to carry it. Any muscle you theoretically might lose would not be essential muscle tissue, but would rather be the excess you built to carry your extra weight. It's important to distinguish between essential muscle and the excess you've gained from carrying extra weight.

Also? Meal timing and GI (unless you're diabetic) are irrelevant.
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member

she's right
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member

Nutrient timing will make little to no difference in this case. The guy is 30%+ bodyfat.

Keep it simple, consistent calorie deficit and results will come.

Over complicating things will result in spinning wheels and getting nowhere, as will recomp at this level of BF too, IMO
    Yup^^
  • AdamAthletic
    AdamAthletic Posts: 2,985 Member

It makes zero difference at all.

Secondly, photos really aren't a great way to tell true percentage - factors such as water retention can add a false layer that can appear as extra bodyfat.

Whenever I'm working out the % for a client, I always use callipers - it's the only accurate way to tell.

Perhaps 30-35%? Give or take 5-10%.

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    At your current bodyfat you will see much better progress by eating in a calorie deficit and dropping your bodyfat significantly. Once you get into reasonable realms (15%) then you could increase you calories to maintenance and hope to recomp. Personally I advocate cut/bulk cycles as it is easier to see progress quicker.
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    As a guess, I would say around 25% - 30%
    What are your waist measurements?

You can estimate from here if you do not have access to a hydro tank:
    http://vitals.lifehacker.com/how-to-determine-the-number-of-calories-you-should-eat-1693372946
    All you need is a cloth measuring tape.

I would err on the high side, of the numbers personally.