Need tips on how to lose weight with proper diet

I'm 5'7 190 lbs and need help lowering my blood pressure and losing 30lbs! Any advice diet? That is what I struggle with. I enjoy walking 3-4 miles a day. Help! ;)

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,072 Member
    Plug your stats into goals on MFP, tell it you want to lose 1 pound a week, and eat the number of calories per day it tells you to.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    As far as lowering blood pressure whatever your doctor suggests. Exercise is usually helpful.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    I am exactly your height but was starting at 156 (145 is a much better weight for me). Due to my age, I knew that eating at around 1700-1800 calories would take me WEEKS to even shed one pound (although I used to be able to lose well enough on that). So, I started at 1200 calories. In the first 10 days I had lost 6-7 lbs. I realize most of that was probably bloating due to me eating whatever I wanted. I have since upped my calories a bit (there were very few days I could keep my meals and snacks at 1200 so I went over). I am incorporating exercise now. At day 32, I've hit the 10 lb mark.

So, not sure of your age, but I think if you do as the poster above mentioned and enter your stats and work to that calorie goal per day, you should see the way come off pretty well. Walking is great for your health and blood pressure but it won't give you a significant calorie burn unless you are really moving fast. Try not to plug in your calories burned for that and then eat them back. In fact, if you were just going to continue that walk, I would not add them into MFP at all.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    What is a proper diet? If you know that, and that makes sense to you, you already know what to eat. If you don't, and it doesn't make sense to you, maybe the question is wrong?
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,208 Member
    Kimw702 wrote: »
    Any advice diet? That is what I struggle with.

How so?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Hit your calorie targets...weight loss isn't complicated...it's actually a very simple process but takes time.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Just start logging. See what food has too many calories and cut back on that.
  • NancyYale
    NancyYale Posts: 171 Member
    I'm your height and dropped 110 lbs so far. Track every bite. Play around with food you like while sticking to your calorie deficit. For ME, I do better with a solid breakfast with protein and carbs, several filling snacks like string cheese, yogurt or banana, and small balanced meals. You might be different, so be willing to play around with food content, volume and timing until you feel good. The scale will tell you if your choices are working.
  • NancyYale
    NancyYale Posts: 171 Member
    Oh, and I eat 1400 or so calories a day.
  • airforceman1979
    airforceman1979 Posts: 94 Member
    The best advice I can give is weigh everything on a food scale it's a lot more accurate and it will help you in the long run