How do I get my bodyy fat% down if I am already in a calorie deficit each week/mist days?

Options
Hi all. I am open to all suggestions and help. I've been losing weight steadily and am very close to my target. I should be 68.5kg and 18.5% body fat according to a DEXA scan I had done of me. I am 69kg but a huge 25% body fat and it never goes below 24.5%
I can maintain and lose weight no problem but I can't seem to get my body fat % below 25%!
each week I have at least 1000 calory deficit - this is due to exercise, not dieting, and I don't diet.
Thanks in advance forum folks!

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Are you doing any lifting? That will help you retain muscle and focus the loss mainly on fat. Also a 1000-calorie deficit is way too aggressive for your size.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    What does "I don't diet" mean??
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    lift + calorie deficit + eat enough protein = shredz
  • hazcad
    hazcad Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Build your muscle, more muscle means your metabolism will work better and will burn the fat. I'm not saying become some muscle bound freak tho. Are you eating enough protein is the other question, protein helps build muscle as well as keep it in general.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Recomp - losing fat and building muscle simultaneously while eating at (or around) maintenance calories.
    Have a read...
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1

Alternatively keep losing weight past your ultimate goal weight to get leaner (cut) and then switch to a small calorie surplus to bulk back up.

Neither option is going to be fast at 47 so you need to think long term adherence and enjoyment. Results will largely depend on the quality of your training, supported by an adequate diet.
  • moto450
    moto450 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Eat enough protein, lift weights, eat at a slight deficit, and your bf Will come down. Weight loss doesn't necessarily mean you are losing fat. Do it right and you should lose mostly fat, and little muscle.
  • w1shb0ne
    w1shb0ne Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks folks, those posts are all really useful. Much appreciated - I'm going with the advice from sijomail and moto450
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    What do you mean you should be 18.5% bf but are 25% instead? I have not seen a DEXA report that stated an ideal or "should be" bf%.

Ditto.

What was the DXA scan result, 18.5 or 25% BF?

As for how to drop below 25% (or any other BF% for that matter:

1) eat at a caloric deficit.
    2) lift weights (low rep/high wt or high rep/low wt) and/or do body weight exercises (like dips, pushups and pullups) to retain muscle or promote muscle growth; compound movements are best. .
    3) do cardio if necessary to burn more cals to achieve a caloric deficit.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    You know your calorie deficit but you don't know your intake or "diet"? I wish I had the same magical powers.