Freeze Pasta or rice?

Options
Has anyone ever froze pasta? I need some quick meals on the go so I was thinking of making some ready-to-microwave meals in freezer bags. Like noodles, chicken, and broccoli, or something similar? Something I can grab quickly. Has anone had success freezing like that? Does the pasta and rice taste ok after being frozen?

Replies

• chasetwins
    chasetwins Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I freeze pasta ALL the time. I do not freeze it with anything in it though. I separate the additions. I put the drained pasta in a plastic zip bag (doubled up to prevent moisture). When defrosting I just sit it in boiling water for a few minutes...perfect everytime :) I have found thick veggie sauces can get watery after defrosting, so I do not do that often but have done that as well. They are just not as thick after but still tasty. Rice I have not done.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I've been told rice gets mushy. I've never tried freezing noodles, but have frozen homemade lasagna and it turns out fine! I tend to freeze things like soups for my go to meals and none of those have rice or noodles in them!
  • SmallestGoal
    SmallestGoal Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I part-time at a large chain restaurant and all our noodles are cooked, shipped to us frozen, and defrosted before serving. I was kind of horrified when I started there, but yeah, it really does taste fine.
  • Terree_G
    Terree_G Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Yes to both. I'm sure you've had a ready-to-serve frozen meal before? Same deal. Quinoa, couscous, and other grains also freeze nicely.
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I make big batches of brown rice and freeze it all the time. As long as it's cooked properly, it doesn't get mushy. I've done the same with quinoa and couscous. No problems :)
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I've frozen pasta. It's not as fresh the second time around, but its still palatable.
  • tokig0313
    tokig0313 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I've frozen pasta before. If it's in something like a lasagna I just make it as per normal and generally freeze some of the extra pieces after cooking so that I can mostly heat it up for a quick meal.

I agree with the posts about quickly reboiling it.

I tend to prefer to simply freeze the sauces or things that are going with it and just cook rice or pasta on the day that I need it since usually that can cook in the time it takes me to get the rest of the meal ready.