How'd I lose 4lb just sleeping??

Options
AspenDan
AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
edited October 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I think last night was the first time ive ever weighed at night..but I had used the bathroom, 1 and 2, and just decided to see..225lb, cool.

I wake up 9 hours later, take a pee and chefk again, 221...what?

Like, I get that we breathe most of it out, and possibly I peed more this morning that i did last night but jeez..4lb is half a gallon of water, lol..

Anyway, just sharing hahaha

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Body weight fluctuates all over the place...I can be up or down anywhere from 0-5 Lbs any given day.
  • ItsMariii
    ItsMariii Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Water weight and its loooovely.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Your night weight includes a lot of the food and fluid you ingested all day.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Food also digested.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    AspenDan wrote: »
    I think last night was the first time ive ever weighed at night..but I had used the bathroom, 1 and 2, and just decided to see..225lb, cool.

I wake up 9 hours later, take a pee and chefk again, 221...what?

Like, I get that we breathe most of it out, and possibly I peed more this morning that i did last night but jeez..4lb is half a gallon of water, lol..

Anyway, just sharing hahaha

Natural fluctuation, and maybe a whoosh.

Thanks for sharing.
  • JenniferNoll
    JenniferNoll Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    WHOOSH!!!!!!

Isn't it wonderful?
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Peeing isn't the only way to remove liquids from your body. You may also have sweat, slept with mouth open at points [dehydrates me so bad, omfg], etc. Lots of water weight gone.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    I always lose 3 pounds overnight.

Your body does a lot in your sleep- you actually lose the most weight and rebuild muscle in your sleep, digest your food, detoxify, etc.

You're also usually are a little dehydrated in the morning too.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Best to always weigh yourself first thing in the morning free using the bathroom and before eating & drinking for most stable measurements. Otherwise hydration & food will change it a bunch throughout the day.
  • MsRuffBuffNStuff
    MsRuffBuffNStuff Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Water weight for sure. I took a diuretic once, and literally peed 5 pounds, overnight... lol I didn't get much sleep. If I ever take a diuretic again, it will be mid-day for sure
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I always lose 3 pounds overnight.

Your body does a lot in your sleep- you actually lose the most weight and rebuild muscle in your sleep, digest your food, detoxify, etc.

You're also usually are a little dehydrated in the morning too.

Yep 3-5 ever night.
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    Lots of sleepwalking on a treadmill... but probably just what was said above, plus its easy to forget scales have an error range. So if its 1% error range on your scale and you weigh 250...there is +/-3lbs already, some have 2%. I have fun with my scale too, for some reason my scale tends to show me lighter after a shower in the morning, unless somehow I was sleep wallowing around in the mud caking 1-2 pounds of dirt on me that the shower knocked off. :P
  • bigmuney
    bigmuney Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    It's p
  • Golbat
    Golbat Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    You weigh less right after you wake up than at any other time during the day. That's why it's important to always weigh at the same time of the day and record that as your weight (preferably right after you wake up.) Otherwise you aren't comparing apples to apples.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    AprilCoe wrote: »
    Water weight for sure. I took a diuretic once, and literally peed 5 pounds, overnight... lol I didn't get much sleep. If I ever take a diuretic again, it will be mid-day for sure

I take a lasik to help with swelling from Hashimoto's disease. I can pee off several pounds like it's nothing.
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    Ooooo, now I've gotta weigh myself tonight and compare it to the morning weight. Sounds weirdly fun.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    I use to gain anywhere from 5 to 10 lbs of water weight during the day, my doctor told me that as long as it was gone by morning then I was fine. So your night time weight is the accumulation of everything you've eaten and drank for the day.
  • dsparkles13
    dsparkles13 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've always wondered this as well!
    I figured digestion, bathroom use etc. played a part but didn't think about water weight and dehydration over the span of 8ish hours. I always go by my morning weight as that is most consistent.

I also heard that you're tallest in the morning as well.. Have never tested that one though! :smile:
  • melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Golbat wrote: »
    You weigh less right after you wake up than at any other time during the day. That's why it's important to always weigh at the same time of the day and record that as your weight (preferably right after you wake up.) Otherwise you aren't comparing apples to apples.

Maybe horse apples?
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    The weight loss was due to metabolism. While you're sleeping, your body continues to convert food into energy to run itself and two by-products of that process are carbon dioxide and water. You literally breathed out some of the weight (as carbon dioxide gas and water vapour). The rest you peed out.