Do you weigh yourself too often?

Options

Replies

• Mirelle242
    Mirelle242 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I do weight watchers so I weigh myself every Saturday only when I attend the meetings. It allows me to be more accountable during the week. Especially Thursday and Friday when life gets hard and temptations get stronger
  • 603PIPER
    603PIPER Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I personally like weighing myself daily, even if I see the fluctuations with water weight etc. Weighing every day helps remind me to stay on track as well!
  • Mumu190672
    Mumu190672 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday and even several times a day sometimes but I track only the morning weight.
    I know it is a bit obsessive but I don't mind and it doesn't affect my mood.
    I do it out of curiosity. I just want the information
    I don't think there is anything wrong becoming a bit obsessive with anything as long as your goal is to understand the subject better.
    The more data you have the better you understand what's happen.
    You can see that if have too much sodium, carbs or at certain times of the month for women you retain water.
    It just happen. Nothing to be emotional about.
    Just look at the trend over a reasonable period of time.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily and use trend weight to track the progress
  • janekana
    janekana Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I don't have a scale and I need to go somewhere else (long story) to weigh myself. It's quite accessible because it's near, but I always forget to stop by to weigh myself. In the end, I weigh myself weekly/bi-weekly.

It's good for me because I don't get discouraged by daily fluctuations. Plus, putting the scale off for a long time means seeing bigger numbers drop rather than just 0.1 lbs daily, really raises my motivation when I see it drop!
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I will weigh myself and track it every single day for months and months. Then I'll go a few weeks hardly weighing at all. I stop myself when I start to feel too obsessive. But the longer I do this the more it's become a habit, just something I do every day, like brushing my teeth. Get up, use restroom, get on scale, brush teeth, continue with morning routine, repeat the next day
  • zilkah
    zilkah Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I personally refuse to own a scale because of this reason. I weigh myself every few weeks at my gym on their scale. I get discouraged by fluctuations and know a scale would be detrimental for me emotionally.
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I probably do weigh myself too often, yes. Sometimes twice a day. But it's a fairly harmless vice in the larger scheme of things. At least I care!
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning and then sometimes after a particularly grueling hike just to see how much I sweat out before I re-hydrate. It's just numbers and yes, I am somewhat obsessive, but this obsessiveness has resulted in weighing less than I have for over 30 years. I'll keep weighing because it makes me happy to see that number. I also know that I will have to stay on top of things so I don't go backwards in my journey. That's a path I never want to go down again.
  • WifiresGettingFit
    WifiresGettingFit Posts: 1,773 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning, not always at the same time (a girl's gotta sleep in when she can haha) but otherwise it's under the same conditions. Fluctuations don't bother me though they used to until I started looking at the number as a data point and nothing else. I plug it in on my Excel spreadsheet and the number is then used to give me a weekly average and then later on a monthly average. My averages for the last two weeks show that I maintained my weight but if I just looked at my official weigh day (Saturday) I would be under the impression that I weigh 1.5 pounds more than I did at the start of the month. Data is awesome! In case anyone hasn't said it yet: you are more than a number on the scale!
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Years ago I was obsessed with the scale. I was young and stupid and didn't realize how completely pointless it was to weigh multiple times a day. There are SO many reasons not to do that. Education is a wonderful thing.

Fast forward a few decades and I needed to lose weight again. I lost it by weighing myself no more than once a week and often I went much longer than that between weigh ins. and then it was maintenance time and I debated how to approach that. I decided to try weighing daily. Once a day, first thing in the morning and using Happy Scale. And that's worked well for me now.

Moral of that story--You have to find what works for you. But there is absolutely no point to or benefit from weighing multiple times a day. None at all. You get no useful information from doing that. Pick one set time (first thing in the morning is ideal, but it can be another time) and stick with it. Do it once a day, once a week, once a month -- whatever works for you.
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I weigh twice a week - every monday and friday morning after using the bathroom and not eating/drinking anything.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Oops, I just realized I forgot to weigh in this morning, slightly different routine than usual. Darn!
  • Acrosno
    Acrosno Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have an Aria Scale and weigh daily. I like to see how my choices the day before affect my weight. Also, it's easier to correct a 0.2 lb mistake than it is to correct a 2-5 lb mistake (at least in my opinion) ... I like to catch upward trends early. But that's just me.

It's whatever works for you ... but seriously, you are not a number ... you are an awesome person who is doing the best possible thing by investing in your health and fitness! Don't let a little spike in weight dim your shine... use it to approach tomorrow more aggressively
  • Ryann1983
    Ryann1983 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I just ordered a new scale and my plan is that I'll probably weigh myself daily but only record weekly weights.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    micayla75 wrote: »
    One of the problems I have when I start focusing on changing my lifestyle, including my eating and exercising habits, is that I begin to get a tad bit obsessive. This is not my normal personality as I am firmly in the type B camp and rarely waiver into anything that resembles obsessive behavior.

As a result of the increased focus on my habits and my desire to lose weight (and of course look better as well), I weigh myself at least once a day and sometimes more. It wouldn't be an issue if I took the number with a grain of salt, but I don't. I let the number affect my mood.

Any tips on curbing this obsessive scale watching?

Yeah...the scale has very little to do with living a healthy lifestyle. When you live a healthy lifestyle and do the things that lean, healthy, and fit people do, things tend to take care of themselves over time.

The scale is just one of many tools in the tool box and doesn't tell the whole story...people seem to think the scale is somehow measuring fat...it's measuring a lot of things...fat, muscle, bone, water, waste, etc...it shouldn't be your end all for "healthy living". And where weight loss (and weight management in general) is concerned, the trend over time is what is important...not the actual weigh in.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I never understand this fear of the scale but I do try to learn why people feel that way because I am intensely curious about it. What about your scale weight scares you, how does that fear manifest, why do you think it is scary? Is it a cultural thing, is it some idea that you must be X weight to be a productive member of society or something? I mean the reality of it is your health has some connection with how much fat you have relative to lean mass (your body fat percentage) which is only very loosely tied to your scale weight. People who obsess over their scale weight often end up losing lean mass in a way that can be even detrimental to their health. Your scale weight is just a number, I'd focus more on your fitness if you can.
  • micayla75
    micayla75 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    I never understand this fear of the scale but I do try to learn why people feel that way because I am intensely curious about it. What about your scale weight scares you, how does that fear manifest, why do you think it is scary? Is it a cultural thing, is it some idea that you must be X weight to be a productive member of society or something? I mean the reality of it is your health has some connection with how much fat you have relative to lean mass (your body fat percentage) which is only very loosely tied to your scale weight. People who obsess over their scale weight often end up losing lean mass in a way that can be even detrimental to their health. Your scale weight is just a number, I'd focus more on your fitness if you can.

I think it is goal related. I am very competitive even with myself, so the scale is an easy way to see if I am "winning". I do think it is cultural as well. I remember being called fat in 7th grade for the first time. I went home and weighed myself (it was never a concern for me before this point) and I weighed 131. I was 5'4" and had already gone through puberty. I wasn't fat, but certainly curvy. However, my 7th grade brain figured I must be because the girls saying it were much thinner than I was. I have never forgotten that moment or the weight I was when I was "fat". It only got worse, in terms of cultural and societal influences, as I got older.

I am truly working on being healthier and trying not to focus on the number, but I can't seem to let it go completely. I'm not concerned with losing muscle mass as I do a bootcamp every morning and I would much rather be muscle than skinny fat, which will never really happen with my body type anyway.
  • xtina315
    xtina315 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday. In all honesty, it's unhealthy because it makes me obsessed about the number and if it doesn't move it makes me upset. I've been stuck for two weeks at the same weight so it's been annoying. I recommend doing it once a week.
  • Ming1951
    Ming1951 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Yep I weigh every morning. this morning I had a .8 weight gain. Haven't seen that in a few weeks. However I am eating nurtrisystem foods and ran out so I substituted my dinner with a frozen remade breaded chicken patty. I'm sure its way up there in sodium cause it tasted so good, lol. Tonight I find something different or drink more water.