Why low carb?

Options
Please can someone help me understand why all I seem to read on this forum is people being on low carb diets? Most of my calories come from carbs, I am talking 200g a day, I always feel full and satisfied and am still loosing 2lb a week on average. However, is there something I do not know and am missing? Am I doing it wrong?

Replies

• nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Some people find it offers better appetite control and steady energy throughout the day (less highs and crashes), outside of that it has no fat loss advantage over a diet with carbs.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Low carb diets may be medically necessary for some. Some people find it a relatively easy way to cut calories & lose weight. Elimination diets can sometimes make calorie counting unnecessary. Some people are under the (mistaken) impression that low carb diets result in faster weight loss. It's "popular" right now, just like low fat was (back in the day). That doesn't mean it's for everyone or the best way to go.

I think a large number of users here aren't low carb at all (I'm not). I've lost weight & re-gained. A temporary change to lose weight doesn't work for a huge % of people. I'll measure and log my regular foods (thank you). I need portion control for all foods, not just diet ones.

2 pounds a week - best for those that have a ways to go. A good rule of thumb - 1% of your current body weight.
  • NancyYale
    NancyYale Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. For me, I've lost 110 pounds and eat a lot of carbs. Over the course of my WL I've moved to mostly whole grains, beans and veggies, but carbs in general are my friends. I do best with the "balanced" diet with protein and carbs at every meal.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I usually eat around 200g of carbs too (for a 1800 calorie goal), but I make sure to get at least 25g of fiber too and to get most of my carbs from whole grains, fruit, or veggies.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,028 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of here who eat carbs. I don't pay any attention to carbs but I looked back and I usually eat at least 150 and usually around 200 carbs per day. Unless you have a medical reason there is no need to go low carb. I lost 60 pounds and have been in maintenance since July.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options
    Please can someone help me understand why all I seem to read on this forum is people being on low carb diets? Most of my calories come from carbs, I am talking 200g a day, I always feel full and satisfied and am still loosing 2lb a week on average. However, is there something I do not know and am missing? Am I doing it wrong?

Nope, you're fine. Different strokes for different folks...
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I usually eat around 200g of carbs too (for a 1800 calorie goal), but I make sure to get at least 25g of fiber too and to get most of my carbs from whole grains, fruit, or veggies.

I thought you were in maintenance?

1800 is my maintenance goal for 25 pounds less than what you weigh being older than shorter than you? I'm confused. Are you trying to lose the last bit of your weight?
  • 603PIPER
    603PIPER Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    If eating carbs works for you, and you are losing weight, don't change what you are doing! It is all personal preference. I personally like low carb, I feel better eating this way, there is also a lot of diabetes within my family so I personally like the reduced sugar benefits.

At the end of the day if you are making progress, don't fix something that is not broken. If you hit a wall and need to mix up your diet to break through a plateau, maybe give it a try for awhile.
  • Bearbo27
    Bearbo27 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I do low carb because I have PCOS and it helps me. I really don't like a lot of breads and pasta though. What was hard for me at first was the carbs in yogurt, granola, and some drinks that I liked. Other than that, it is not too bad. It is definitely not necessary if you don't have any medical conditions warranting it. I say, if you are losing just fine eating carbs, keep doing what you are doing :)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I did low carb because it killed my appetite and cravings and made weight loss effortless.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I think the insulin resistant/PCOS sufferers tend to see benefits from low carb diets. For me, it's not happening ever. A big portion of my diet comes from carbs and there's no reason for me to change that. It keeps me satisfied and hasn't affected my weight loss (85 lbs).
    There are some who seem to have better luck staying satisfied on lower carbs and higher fat. The initial weight loss, mostly from water, can be higher, too.
    I think it's a case of different strokes for different folks, mostly.
  • NancyYale
    NancyYale Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Really, your appetite, energy level, bloodwork, and the scale will tell you if you are one the right track for YOU!
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I did low carb because it killed my appetite and cravings and made weight loss effortless.

+1

• bininj
    bininj Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I seem to have an intolerance for gluten. I've been checked for celiac, but I'm not. So the pain in the stomach I get after eating bread cake or anything with flour could be an intolerance. Since starting LCHF no pain. Happy days
  • tjones0411
    tjones0411 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Funny...bc I find the majority of people on here are against low-carb. I come from the "you do you" camp. Find what works for you and understand that others will do what works for them. I prefer low carb bc I find it easier to meet my calorie goals and am more satisfied.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I started for the health benefits. Even without weight loss, switching to LCHF can improve the health of many people, mainly those with insulin resistance (T2D, PCOS, Alzheimer's, NAFLD) and CAD.

I did enjoy how easy it made weight loss too. Losing weight is much easier for me when my carbs are low.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

I thought you were in maintenance?

1800 is my maintenance goal for 25 pounds less than what you weigh being older than shorter than you? I'm confused. Are you trying to lose the last bit of your weight?

Maybe she's set to a different activity level? I know it makes a big difference what I've set my activity level to when MFP tells me how many calories I should be eating at maintenance. Just a thought.
  • Inpersuitofhappiness
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your inputs! I eat mostly whole-food plant based diet with nuts and seeds for fats and fish and eggs or beans and pulses for protein. I used to find that if I ate diary I would get stomach cramps and if I had bread I would feel bloated so I try stay away from those and so far so good. I guess if I do come to a stop with weight loss I will definitely see if I can try to mix things up and see how my body feels with lower carb