Best exercises for lower back pain?

Options
Can anyone suggest exercises that help with lower back pain? My doctor suggested i do them, but nothing i tried has helped.... would appreciate it thanks

Replies

• BarbelGirl79
    BarbelGirl79 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My chiropracter recommended lots of stretching. Child's pose, cat & cow pose etc...
    I also started going to yoga classes recently and it seems to help my lower back pain.
  • brandiwyliemoore
    brandiwyliemoore Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Find a pool and go swimming or take an aqua fitness class. My chiropractor recommended it and it works wonders.
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    The only things that helped my back were weight loss and not sitting too much.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    What type of back pain? If it's from an anterior pelvic tilt. Back exercises are the last thing you want. You actually would want to be strengthening your abdominals. The vast majority of back pain is due to a weak anterior chain and excessive weight.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Also. If it is anterior pelvic tilt. Work on stretching your hamstrings and hip flexors along with strengthening your glutes.
  • Misspinklift
    Misspinklift Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Yoga.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »
    What type of back pain? If it's from an anterior pelvic tilt. Back exercises are the last thing you want. You actually would want to be strengthening your abdominals. The vast majority of back pain is due to a weak anterior chain and excessive weight.

Most of the stuff I've seen is a weak posterior chain as a cause of back pain.

http://backpainsolutionsonline.com/announcements-and-releases/backpain/lower-back-pain-causes/weak-posterior-kinetic-chain-cause-of-lower-back-pain

Usually the posterior chain isn't as strong relatively as thr anterior chain, causing issues.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Just happened to be looking into this today myself: http://www.self.com/story/pilates-ab-exercises-lower-back-pain
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Do you know what's causing your back pain? It makes a difference in whether an exercise might help or hurt.

When I had symptoms of a slipped disc, movement in general helped alot. Doing cat/cow and reverse hypers were great. The worst is sitting (esp slumped sitting) for long periods of time without break. Even walking was therapeutic.

I've also had sciatica-like symptoms when I run. In those cases, stretching the hip flexors and correcting posture (anterior pelvic tilt) helped a lot. Prolonged sitting is awful in this case too.