Started SL today, couldn't squat with bar

Options
Bchlvr64
Bchlvr64 Posts: 89 Member
edited October 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
I couldn't do squats with bar. I was so bummed as I thought just by looking at the bar it would be a piece of cake. Instead I used a 20 lb kettle bell for squats only. Rows and bench press I could use the bar. Anyone else have this experience? Any advice? Hubby got me a broom handle to practice form. The problem I was having was form and too much weight.

Replies

• ardysedwardsmcgrath
    ardysedwardsmcgrath Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    i have troubles with squats due to my weight also.. good idea bout using the broom! i never thought of that.. I need to work out to make my knees more stronger..
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Start with broom handle and sitting down on box and standing again

It won't take long to work up

Nothing is as easy as it looks but one day you'll squat your body weight and more
  • subakwa
    subakwa Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I have been doing SL 3 weeks and I struggled with the bar and form on the first day. I have now just deloaded from 37.5kg to 30kg to work on form and depth again, and I practiced with just the bar for warm-up and that felt easy. So, there is hope! Things do improve quickly, although I do suck at squats compared with the other lifts.

Keep at it, it all gets better and the changes are worth it - I can feel them in me just now after those 3 weeks. Very encouraging!
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I can't squat with the bar on my back because of mobility issue with my shoulders. I'm still trying though. I do front squats which are pretty cool. Keep at it, you'll get there!
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Keep working and you will progress quickly. Mind that form and know that you WILL eventually need fractional plates (easily obtained on Amazon).
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    Does your gym have body bars?
    (Those bars that have padding and are used in circuit classes.) I started with those, got the form and balance using an incredibly light weight, working up the bodybar weights then switched to a 17.5 bar where I can add at my discretion.
    I am still not squating a 45lbs bar- I look on that as my goal.

Cheers, h.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I would do frequent goblet squats along with technique practice on the back squat using something lighter.
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Don't be embarrassed.
    Many people (including guys) are not as strong as they think.
    You might be surprised at how many people cannot deadlift their bodyweight for more than a rep or two.
    Or how many people cannot do a full pull-up / chin-up.

I invested in a "SS Yoke Bar" for squats.
    A bit expensive but worth it, in my opinion.
    I also highly recommend a trap bar for deadlifts.
    Of course, I have a squat rack at home so...

Until, then you can try goblet squats as recommended or just squat a 20 lb "exercise bar" that takes standard plates instead of Olympic.
    Add weight to the standard bar until you can manage at least 50 lbs or so.
  • Bchlvr64
    Bchlvr64 Posts: 89 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I have been doing goblet squats. Did OHP 45 lbs and DL 90 tonight no problem. I'm so excited to do this and will stay the course, patiently.