Help! Thinking about herbalife? Feedback please ♡

Replies

• LittleChipin
    LittleChipin Posts: 102 Member
    Take my advice, I did it for 2 years off and on and lost 12 lbs but my weight was a yo yo of losing the same 5 pounds for the second year because the taste and price just caused me to fall off track. Last month I quit herbalife and ate regular food and I've lost 8 pounds so far and kept it off. I no longer believe herbalife is necessary, in fact, I'm mad as hell at myself for using it for so long when all I needed was my own willpower. Healthy eating should help your cholesterol but if it isn't, I suggest consulting with your doctor. Put your money towards yummy foods that are good for you, herbalife isn't worth it.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Eat good fats - fatty fish, nuts, olive oil. Eat fiber, both soluble and insoluble - fruits, veg, beans, whole grains. EXERCISE!!! Lose more weight if you have not lost all you want to. My cholesterol dropped from 279 to 232 and my HDL (good cholesterol) skyrocketed to 81. All this occurred after losing 34 lbs. and walking daily.

doesnt work for everyone. Im proof of that.

No, unfortunately it won't work if you have familial hypercholesterolemia. My Dad can barely get his total cholesterol under 300 even with 80 mg. Lipitor.
  • DietVanillaCoke
    DietVanillaCoke Posts: 259 Member
    Instead of paying money to a proven pyramid scam and wasting months that you could be using to actually lose weight, try MFP! Be strict with your measuring and stay under you calorie goal. You will lose the weight!!!! =D

My sister sold this garbage and she never lost weight on it. She also tried a whole bunch of pills, some her GP gave her and she still today hasn't lost anything. I think she's actually gained a bit and she's too shy to come on here which is sad as i honestly think she'd do fine here.

I lost over 80 lbs just using MFP and the best part is that MFP taught me about nutrition and portions while i lost the weight. =D
  • melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,418 Member
    I also have hereditary high cholesterol. Refuse to take statins...I like my liver to function, thanks.

When I care, here's what I do ( and last tine I stuck with it, my chol dropped 40-60 points in ~6 months)...
    1. Eat oatmeal. Real oatmeal, not that instant crap. Rolled, groats, steel cut. I don't like oatmeal but it does have a big impact. Add extra oatbran, if you can stomach it (or make oatbran muffins using applesauce instead if butter or oil).
    2. Eat flax seed. Ground meal is absorbed better...add it to yogurt, oatmeal, cookies.
    3. Eat apples. Some people recomend 3 a day. That's too much apple for me, but sometimes I can manage 2. Don't peel them, the peel is the best part for you. Pectin is apparently good for reducing chol...no, things with pectin in them don't work/count.
    4. Eat more beans.
    5. Take fish oil. I didn't really buy into this...but every time I quit taking it, my numbers jump up. Or eat lots of oily fish. I'd prefer this one, but the hubby hates fish.

I can't say much about herbalife as I've not tried it...but it us pretty expensive. Also, walking is supposed to help. Someone else mentioned metamucil...which is a pretty good suggestion, too...but a high fiber diet will bond with the excess chol and wash it out. That's probably worded badly.

When I followed this, like I said, my chol dropped 50 or 60 points...
  • marirey82
    marirey82 Posts: 14 Member
    Eat good fats - fatty fish, nuts, olive oil. Eat fiber, both soluble and insoluble - fruits, veg, beans, whole grains. EXERCISE!!! Lose more weight if you have not lost all you want to. My cholesterol dropped from 279 to 232 and my HDL (good cholesterol) skyrocketed to 81. All this occurred after losing 34 lbs. and walking daily.

That's inspiring to hear! Did you meal prep or take any protein shakes? What helped you the most you think? I'm doing an hour of cardio daily but I guess that's not cutting it.
  • marirey82
    Take my advice, I did it for 2 years off and on and lost 12 lbs but my weight was a yo yo of losing the same 5 pounds for the second year because the taste and price just caused me to fall off track. Last month I quit herbalife and ate regular food and I've lost 8 pounds so far and kept it off. I no longer believe herbalife is necessary, in fact, I'm mad as hell at myself for using it for so long when all I needed was my own willpower. Healthy eating should help your cholesterol but if it isn't, I suggest consulting with your doctor. Put your money towards yummy foods that are good for you, herbalife isn't worth it.

Thank you...I don't want medications i need to change my eating.
  • marirey82
    I also have hereditary high cholesterol. Refuse to take statins...I like my liver to function, thanks.

When I care, here's what I do ( and last tine I stuck with it, my chol dropped 40-60 points in ~6 months)...
    1. Eat oatmeal. Real oatmeal, not that instant crap. Rolled, groats, steel cut. I don't like oatmeal but it does have a big impact. Add extra oatbran, if you can stomach it (or make oatbran muffins using applesauce instead if butter or oil).
    2. Eat flax seed. Ground meal is absorbed better...add it to yogurt, oatmeal, cookies.
    3. Eat apples. Some people recomend 3 a day. That's too much apple for me, but sometimes I can manage 2. Don't peel them, the peel is the best part for you. Pectin is apparently good for reducing chol...no, things with pectin in them don't work/count.
    4. Eat more beans.
    5. Take fish oil. I didn't really buy into this...but every time I quit taking it, my numbers jump up. Or eat lots of oily fish. I'd prefer this one, but the hubby hates fish.

I can't say much about herbalife as I've not tried it...but it us pretty expensive. Also, walking is supposed to help. Someone else mentioned metamucil...which is a pretty good suggestion, too...but a high fiber diet will bond with the excess chol and wash it out. That's probably worded badly.

Thank you....yes I'm not a huge oatmeal fan but I will start. Thanks for the points thinking of fish oil as well.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member

4. Eat more beans.

So this^^^^^^^^^!!

I have genetic high cholesterol. Your doctor thinks 240 is high? Even if it has gone up the past few months that is not that high. I smell a doctor that wants someone on meds. >:) In my 20's and 30's mine was well near 400. My dad died of heart disease from high cholesterol at 42. Every person on his side of the family has died from this. I finally figured out that the low fat diet craze was killing me. I went on a high fat, lower carb (I did not low carb, just lower then I was) regular diet and my cholesterol dropped very quickly. I now sit right at 199 eating the same diet that brought it down. I would recommend that you look at your diet and make changes there first before ever considering meds. Your body needs cholesterol and giving it meds to make it kick out less is not the answer. @melaniedscott hit this right on. Doing the things she suggests will help. Yes, it may not be enough for some people. I would venture to say that these things work for the majority of people that try them and for those it doesn't work for, it is likely a very small percentage.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    marirey82 wrote: »
    Pleas don't waste your money on a woo scam.

Are you on medication?

No. It just recently started being a problem but the doctor just told me to watch my diet and that was 3 weeks ago and it went up a few more points. Uh!

OP, were you fasting before the blood draw? This is decades ago, but my dad had a high cholesterol test. He exerted huge efforts to change his lifestyle. A year layer his cholesterol was fine, but the troubling blood test was not on a fasted blood draw. Maybe his efforts made a difference, maybe not at all.

I have another friend who has lowered her cholesterol 50 pts through diet alone, motivated by statin avoidance. Diet change is worth it *if* the cholesterol problem is real.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member

3. Eat apples. Some people recommend 3 a day. That's too much apple for me, but sometimes I can manage 2. Don't peel them, the peel is the best part for you. Pectin is apparently good for reducing chol...no, things with pectin in them don't work/count.
    4. Eat more beans.

@melaniedscott ^ Excellent job on that drop!! :wink:

Lot of great suggestions in this post! If it's not been shared already chia seeds are da bomb! An excellent fiber source that can go in pretty much any food source. Oatmeal, yogurt, I've also put it on my toast with nut butters, let your mind wander, it goes great with so many things. I love the crunchy factor and Chia Seeds definitely have many health benefits besides only adding fiber.

I like to suggest natural fibers before I suggest over the counter methods but I don't know your body or everything that you've tried thus far.

I hope that you would try some of the other suggestions shared before moving on to chemical products that would be in shakes, pills, powders etc. Really hard to know what's in those.

I suggest you begin to increase your water drinking as you increase your fiber that'll help a lot and really important to do when adding more fiber to your diet! Someone mentioned exercise, that really does get you moving in more ways than one! :laugh:

• Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member

4. Eat more beans.

Thank you....yes I'm not a huge oatmeal fan but I will start. Thanks for the points thinking of fish oil as well.
    @marirey82 Have you tried any of the overnight Oats recipes on Pinterest or here on MFP under the recipe section. I think Oatmeal is yummy but I add a few things to mine to make it yummier...Sunflower Nut butter, Chia Seeds, ground flax seeds it varies on what I have and what mood my oatmeal is in when I get up.

If you're going to eat it you might as well make it tasty, ;) I add protein to it so it's not all carb. I know there's some threads in the archives about savory oatmeal.. like an egg in it etc.
  • marirey82

4. Eat more beans.

@marirey82 Have you tried any of the overnight Oats recipes on Pinterest or here on MFP under the recipe section. I think Oatmeal is yummy but I add a few things to mine to make it yummier...Sunflower Nut butter, Chia Seeds, ground flax seeds it varies on what I have and what mood my oatmeal is in when I get up.

If you're going to eat it you might as well make it tasty, ;) I add protein to it so it's not all carb. I know there's some threads in the archives about savory oatmeal.. like an egg in it etc.

I'm going to try it because so far I just boIL it and add cinnamon and a little bit of brown sugar almost nothing. Thanks again for the advice♡
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member

4. Eat more beans.

I have tried all this and I still have to take meds because it didnt come down enough in the last year or so.my hereditary cholesterol comes from a gene defect(which is what FH is),my liver makes excess cholesterol and my body cannot process it like most people can.my body also stores it and stores fat in areas as well(I have fat pads on my knees and ankles). for me not taking meds and watching my diet can cause death (heart attack,stroke,TIA,etc). I really dont need that. sometimes the meds and diet dont work so people have to go through whats called apheresis(sorta like dialysis),then if that doesnt work it can lead to a liver transplant.statins help block the excess cholesterol from being made.

I have had no issues with my liver taking statins and I have been taking them for more than a decade.not to mention my health issue can lead to insulin resistance,type 2 diabetes and so on. I dont need those issues either. so I will take my chances with the statins again. I already see the spots on my knees and ankles getting smaller and the xanthomas under my eyes getting smaller.I have to be on a high fiber,low fat(including sat fat) diet. I was also told to watch my sugar and sodium intake as well.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey

3. Eat apples. Some people recommend 3 a day. That's too much apple for me, but sometimes I can manage 2. Don't peel them, the peel is the best part for you. Pectin is apparently good for reducing chol...no, things with pectin in them don't work/count.
    4. Eat more beans.

@melaniedscott ^ Excellent job on that drop!! :wink:

Lot of great suggestions in this post! If it's not been shared already chia seeds are da bomb! An excellent fiber source that can go in pretty much any food source. Oatmeal, yogurt, I've also put it on my toast with nut butters, let your mind wander, it goes great with so many things. I love the crunchy factor and Chia Seeds definitely have many health benefits besides only adding fiber.

I like to suggest natural fibers before I suggest over the counter methods but I don't know your body or everything that you've tried thus far.

I hope that you would try some of the other suggestions shared before moving on to chemical products that would be in shakes, pills, powders etc. Really hard to know what's in those.

I suggest you begin to increase your water drinking as you increase your fiber that'll help a lot and really important to do when adding more fiber to your diet! Someone mentioned exercise, that really does get you moving in more ways than one! :laugh:

I eat a lot of chia.
  • ADX24Fit
    ADX24Fit Posts: 5 Member
    edited October 2016
    Hi guys, so my cholesterol has been increasing I don't know why but I'm starting to feel the physical symptoms. I have lost 20 lbs on my own this year but I never had an issue with cholesterol until now....it's at 240 and it was at 180 in april....I don't get it. I have a crew that does herbalife and they swear by it and they actually are losing weight all of them. Any opinions good or bad I would greatly appreciate thanks again.

Looks like ill be the only one here that will say yes try Herbalife. A healthy well balanced meal replacement shake, paired with a healthy active lifestyle, will only improve your overall health. I have lost over 50lbs and successful maintain the weight off with the products. My profile picture has my before and after... best of luck!

[Edited by MFP Staff]
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    ^^^ No... just no.
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    edited October 2016
    Hi guys, so my cholesterol has been increasing I don't know why but I'm starting to feel the physical symptoms. I have lost 20 lbs on my own this year but I never had an issue with cholesterol until now....it's at 240 and it was at 180 in april....I don't get it. I have a crew that does herbalife and they swear by it and they actually are losing weight all of them. Any opinions good or bad I would greatly appreciate thanks again.

I have high cholesterol. I've changed three things and am curious to see if they lowered it (I get tested in a few weeks):
    (1) I was taking fish oil capsules because I heard they are good for cholesterol and then found out they can make it go way up -- so I threw them out.
    (2) I've lost weight (26 pounds since the last test)
    (3) I cut out junk food and replaced it with vegetables and other food with better nutrition and more fiber (oatmeal, beans, leafy greens, which are all supposed to help lower cholesterol).
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    edited October 2016
    ADX24Fit wrote: »

Looks like ill be the only one here that will say yes try Herbalife. A healthy well balanced meal replacement shake, paired with a healthy active lifestyle, will only improve your overall health. If you have any questions let me know. Ive been a Herbalife health coach for over 3 years, i have lost over 50lbs and successful maintain the weight off with the products. My profile picture has my before and after... best of luck!

Herbalife is an expensive MLM scam and is not necessary for improving health, losing weight, or lowering cholesterol.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member

That's inspiring to hear! Did you meal prep or take any protein shakes? What helped you the most you think? I'm doing an hour of cardio daily but I guess that's not cutting it.

No special foods, but I did add more fish and oat bran cereal. I cook for a family so meals have not changed much - the only thing that has changed is my portion size.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    ADX24Fit wrote: »

Looks like ill be the only one here that will say yes try Herbalife. A healthy well balanced meal replacement shake, paired with a healthy active lifestyle, will only improve your overall health. If you have any questions let me know. Ive been a Herbalife health coach for over 3 years, i have lost over 50lbs and successful maintain the weight off with the products. My profile picture has my before and after... best of luck!

eating healthy and having an active lifestyle can improve overall health without the herballife. I was able to get off some of my meds by losing weight and eating better and not taking anything from an MLM company.there is no clinical or scientific proof that herbalife improves your health,and it cant legally claim that it does(per the FDA guidelines)