Cheat Meal

Options
I've finally decided to have a cheat meal. I'm only doing it maybe once a month so I don't go crazy and binge. Which I know I will if I do more than that. I'm worried that'll gain weight from it though. So is there any advice you can give me so I don't go overboard and binge? And what's your favorite cheat meal? Also what do you still keep an eye on, if anything, if you have you have a cheat meal? Like fat, carbs, sugar or.....etc? Let me know. :)

Replies

• lissmayer
    lissmayer Posts: 86 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I don't do this. I sometimes decide to eat up to maintenance- but that's a thoughtful, logged decision. So I'd advise that. And/or adjust your goal of it is too aggressive.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    My advice is to count the calories of your cheat day so you know what impact it's having on your overall weight loss plan.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    My advice is to count the calories of your cheat day so you know what impact it's having on your overall weight loss plan.

^^This.
    Or vice versa. Decide how much of an impact you're willing to live with -- maintenance for one day (which, if done once a month, will reduce your rate of loss by about 3%), maintenance + the calories from another day's deficit (which, if done once a month, will reduce your rate of loss by about 7%), etc. Then plan and log a cheat meal that, taken with your other meals and snacks that day, will produce that result.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Mary, go back and read that thing you wrote about "Why I want to get into shape".
  • tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I don't do cheat meals. The one you posted on your feed was a steak, Mac/cheese and mashed potatoes. You could easily fit this in your day by watching your portion sizes. I had a full size pretzel tonight which not only fit my calories burnt daily macros. It's all about planning.
  • Nightmare_Queen88
    Nightmare_Queen88 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    All great advice. I'm back on the fence now. I don't think one meal is going to mess me up too much, But I'd really like to continue to lose weight at the rate I am now. I know it'll slow down over time regardless, but I don't want it to happen just yet. A part of me is doing this because I miss having a meal with my boyfriend and because I miss eating some of the foods I use to eat. But that's the whole reason I was at an unhealthy weight to begin with. I'll eat something and I won't stop. So.....I guess until I reach my goal or I'm at a better mind set to attempt a cheat meal I should just stick to what I'm doing. Thanks everyone for your advice. :)
  • HaleCry
    HaleCry Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I have a take away (cheat meal) once a week. I try to either exercise a bit more, or eat a little less (-100 calories a day for example) so it doesn't have much of an effect. I've lost 17lbs. I don't go overboard on the take away though. But I tend to eat what I want during the day anyway and just fit it into my calories so I don't feel the need to binge.
  • MsRuffBuffNStuff
    MsRuffBuffNStuff Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    My "cheat meal" is just about once a week when I have an unplanned outing. I don't do it on a regular basis. Its sort of like "rest days" at the gym. I don't plan them, but they happen, usually about every 8-9 days. No guilt and it's never the same. I lost 100 pounds. Cheat meals used to be 3 times a day (or more), 7 days a week. It was a way of life back then... now it's the exception.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I don't consider cheating and food in the same context. To me that's disordered thinking.
  • Piscesmoon68
    Piscesmoon68 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    If you're concerned you're going to binge, I'd say to be very wary of your trigger foods. Most people know what foods will throw them into a binge. I had a cheat meal last night and ended up eating all night long because I included sugary treats in the meal, which are a trigger for me.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Why can't you eat meals with your boyfriend without it being considered a "cheat meal"? That doesn't sound very sustainable...
  • LVNF04
    LVNF04 Posts: 2,607 Member
    Options
    HaleCry wrote: »
    I have a take away (cheat meal) once a week. I try to either exercise a bit more, or eat a little less (-100 calories a day for example) so it doesn't have much of an effect. I've lost 17lbs. I don't go overboard on the take away though. But I tend to eat what I want during the day anyway and just fit it into my calories so I don't feel the need to binge.

this sounds good. I agree. Once a month is extreme, everyday not getting what you want, dreaming of it, fantasizing about it, nope, the urge is too strong, even if just one bite, it's better than tormenting yourself for a whole month.

• MsRuffBuffNStuff
    MsRuffBuffNStuff Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    LVNF04 wrote: »

this sounds good. I agree. Once a month is extreme, everyday not getting what you want, dreaming of it, fantasizing about it, nope, the urge is too strong, even if just one bite, it's better than tormenting yourself for a whole month.

If I want something to the point where I'm dreaming about it, I'm eating it and fitting it in my calories for THAT DAY...lol!! It's not going to be something I wait around to "cheat" for... ;-)
  • LVNF04
    LVNF04 Posts: 2,607 Member
    Options
    AprilCoe wrote: »
    LVNF04 wrote: »

If I want something to the point where I'm dreaming about it, I'm eating it and fitting it in my calories for THAT DAY...lol!! It's not going to be something I wait around to "cheat" for... ;-)

Copy that. lol

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Once a month planned cheat meal is really not a cheat. The term cheat implies breaking a law or rule that may leave one to feel guilty, shamed or just feel bad in general.

Perhaps this meal is not of your normal food choices but I am sure you are not planning to triple or quadruple those calories over your "normal" maintenance calories.. If this method works for you as described, then certainly continue with that, especially if it keeps you accountable the 29/30 other days of month..

By the way, what are you having? :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I've finally decided to have a cheat meal. I'm only doing it maybe once a month so I don't go crazy and binge. Which I know I will if I do more than that. I'm worried that'll gain weight from it though. So is there any advice you can give me so I don't go overboard and binge? And what's your favorite cheat meal? Also what do you still keep an eye on, if anything, if you have you have a cheat meal? Like fat, carbs, sugar or.....etc? Let me know. :)

What is a cheat meal? How would it impact your weight loss? Generally speaking, a "meal" is pretty irrelevant to the big picture.
  • Nightmare_Queen88
    Nightmare_Queen88 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    As I've said above I've decided not to have a cheat meal since I'm so worried about binging and/or gaining weight. Thank you all for your advice and input. :)
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    To gain one pound as a result, you'd have to eat 3500 calories above maintenance for that day. That's the equivalent of eating a full *gallon* of Breyer's ice cream on that day in addition to your regular food intake. One "cheat day" isn't going to kill you. However -- if you're worried about the effect it might have on your motivation or behavior, don't do it.

I'd also suggest avoiding the term "cheat" in reference to a conscious decision to eat something you normally don't. The language we use to describe our behavior does affect the way we view things. If you see eating extra calories as "cheating", you're adding a moral dimension to your decision. There is no Food Devil or Diet Hell.
  • NancyYale
    NancyYale Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I dont cheat. I allow myself the occasional untracked social meal, knowing that it will affect my weight loss a bit. It's important to me and it works well if I stay at a deficit the rest of the time. But if it will be a trigger for you, then don't do it.

But yes, it will slow down your weight loss, so be careful with the frequency. For me it's 3-4 times a month. Only a meal never a day.

I wanted a lifestyle change not just WL, so the occasional week with a maintain was okay.