Calesthenics

What are the calorie burn amounts for exercises like spinning your outstretched arms, side stretches, standing twists with arms extended, reclined leg lifts, using exercise bands, and that sort of thing (without weights), preferably by rep numbers, not time?

Replies

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    ALargeBear wrote: »
    What are the calorie burn amounts for exercises like spinning your outstretched arms, side stretches, standing twists with arms extended, reclined leg lifts, using exercise bands, and that sort of thing (without weights), preferably by rep numbers, not time?

That's a really good question. I don't think it's that easy to calculate and most of the exercise compendiums just have calisthenics in general by time. I think if you do it by time you'll be close just using the calisthenics since i don't think the exercises vary in caloric burn a lot.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    ALargeBear wrote: »

That's a really good question. I don't think it's that easy to calculate and most of the exercise compendiums just have calisthenics in general by time. I think if you do it by time you'll be close just using the calisthenics since i don't think the exercises vary in caloric burn a lot.

Agreed on all counts.

There's an entry in the exercise section on MFP for "Calisthenics, home, light/moderate effort". I made an entry just to test it and the calorie burn still looks high to me for the kind of calisthenics the OP is describing. It gave me more calories burned than the entry for "Walking, 3.0 mph, moderate pace", and walking 3 mph would burn more calories than those kind of calisthenics.