Big portions, low calories?

Options
What are you favourite foods that are so low in calories you can eat lots for few calories? Or are very filling for low calories?

My favourites:

Asda brown rice - 100g for approx 140 cals
Mushrooms - love them and very low call for big pile
Hartley 10cal jelly - feels like a dessert for only 10 cals!
Quorn products. Especially the chicken pieces, gammon and peppered steaks.

Let me know your go to options for when your hungry but don't want to spend lots of calories :)

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Today I had cabbage, a whole 700 grams of it with the works (lemon juice, cumin etc) came out at 250 calories - 379 with whole fat yogurt. The meal left me overfull and content with a major "life is good" vibe. I was so happy because I absolutely love cabbage and I can fit in cake later this evening (thank you mom).

byuljtqj5x0v.png

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't find 100g of cooked rice a big portion.

For volume it's got to be stocking up with vegetables. Spring greens, cabbage and spiralised courgette work well.

Jelly wise, a packet of Hartley's sugar free, made up with water and greek yogurt, gives you a pint of blamange.
  • JudyAnn1982
    JudyAnn1982 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Anyone know how to handle the gas that comes with the cabbage?
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, spring mix lettuce (really, any veggie), turkey, chicken, tuna... Halo top ice cream :D
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    breakfast - a big pile of Zoodles (400g), with a poached egg and sriacha

Lunch - 6 cups assorted salad mix and 6oz grilled chicken

Dinner - bag of broccoli florets, black beans and turkey tenderloin with peppers and onions
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

That's why we always add cumin. Not sure if it's an old wives' tale. Personally, I don't gassy from cabbage, or beans for that matter. My digestive system appears to be geared for that.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options

Carry air freshener?
  • MsRuffBuffNStuff
    MsRuffBuffNStuff Posts: 363 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

lol that was my first thought, as well...oh lordy
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options

I don't get gas from cabbage- I get gas from meat though! Which is annoying since I'm trying to eat more protein lately.
  • MsRuffBuffNStuff
    Options

Carry air freshener?

Or a fog horn for those that can't be timed with shutting car doors.. ;-)

• Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    popcorn, popped on the stove with oil if I can spare the calories or air popped if I can't
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    broccoli is the GOAT veggie for satiety-calorie ratio.
  • courtneyfabulous
    Options
    Cucumbers! Almost no calories, very filling & refreshing.

Broccoli and cauliflower- great raw with a little ranch dressing, or roasted.

Fage flavored Greek yogurt cups- individually portioned, low calorie, high protein and satisfies my sweet tooth! Good flora too.

Green beans with garlic.

Zucchini

Berries and melon are very low calorie fruits, very good for you. I like good organic apples as well- a little more calories but very filling, great with a squeeze of lemon juice!

Turkey jerkey - high protein, relatively few calories for a serving (60 calories for 1 ounce). Not really high volume but a small amount is filling and takes a while to chew and eat.

Lettuce, spinach, kale

Quinoa- fewer calories and more protein than rice

Potato & sweet potato- lower calories than other high carb foods like pasta or rice for the same size portion

Bonus- ways to add a lot of flavor to food for very few calories:
    Lemon juice
    Lime juice
    Sea salt
    Fresh ground pepper
    Spices
    Dried herbs
    Fresh herbs
    Onions
    Garlic
    Garlic powder
    Soy sauce
    Vinegar (balsamic, apple cider, rice wine, champagne, etc)
    Pick de gallo
    Salsa
    Sour cream (has a few calories but a little goes a long way)
    Ketchup
    BBQ sauce

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Instead of looking for low calorie foods and wanting to eat large amounts of foods, I look for nutrient dense, satisfying meals - balanced and varied and fresh and tasty. Real, ordinary, traditional home cooked meals fit this description. Buying and eating cheat food is just cheating on myself.

Instead of fearing hunger and trying to avoid getting hungry, I aim to get just the right kind of hungry before meals, and wait to eat until it's time for a meal, and plan meals I look forward to.

This way, eating feels good, sticking to appropriate portions is effortless, and easy weight control naturally follows.
  • MsRuffBuffNStuff
    Options
    I wonder if eating higher volume will make your stomach grow/stretch over time and actually make you more hungry than before?
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Most of the time nutrient dense foods keep me satisfied between meals, but sometimes I just gotta have that fiber to "fill in the corners." Also, stress eating isn't a good thing to do, but while I work on the emotional/mental aspects of that and make progress along the way, nibbling at a bowl of popcorn will mitigate some of the harmful physical effects.
  • MsRuffBuffNStuff
    Options
    Sara1791 wrote: »
    Most of the time nutrient dense foods keep me satisfied between meals, but sometimes I just gotta have that fiber to "fill in the corners." Also, stress eating isn't a good thing to do, but while I work on the emotional/mental aspects of that and make progress along the way, nibbling at a bowl of popcorn will mitigate some of the harmful physical effects.

I like popcorn, or sunflower seeds as "movie snacks" (aka mindless eating). I have to be careful with sunflower seeds though, because they are high calorie.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Mushrooms, green beans, asparagus, etc.

For protein, egg whites, fish, and chicken breast.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    100 grams of jicama has 38 calories, and is naturally sweet. Slice 100 g of jicama into thin strips, arrange them on a baking sheet. Spray or by whatever means you wish add some butter to them, then sprinkle well with cinnamon.
    Bake for a few minutes to melt the butter, serve warm. It tastes like cinnamon rolls, but is crunchy and fiber-filling.

Other than that I just add celery, mushrooms, and cabbage to my stiry-fry to bulk up the pile without increasing the calories too much.

• courtneyfabulous
    Options
    Shrimp is pretty low in calories for a protein