Not losing anything

Options
I've been working out daily (some yoga in the mornings, dance for 30-60 minutes and some strength training in the afternoon and at least a mile walk after dinner) and watching my calories like a hawk. I ate absolute garbage before and never worked out but always walked a lot due to work. It's been 5 weeks and I've lost barely 3 pounds and my scale keeps going from the 3 pounds down back to my original weight. I don't see a difference in the mirror or photos, and it's extremely discouraging. I'm 26, 5'10 and 277lbs taking in 1500 a day and debating lowering again. Any tips or pointers would be great as I am losing my mind doing all of this work and getting no results.

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I love this flow chart:

297ed6d1829fbe5bf22e8d97be46a847.jpg
  • peach0725
    peach0725 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I've been suspecting pcos before trying to lose weight. Maybe I should make an appointment finally.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,564 Member
    Options
    peach0725 wrote: »
    Thank you. I've been suspecting pcos before trying to lose weight. Maybe I should make an appointment finally.

Before you do that, look into your logging to see what you can tighten up. More often than not, when someone isn't losing weight or losing as fast as they expect, they're eating more than they think.
  • BiggeA
    BiggeA Posts: 11 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    1500 calories for a 5ft 10 frame at 277lb seems low.

I put you digits in on scoobys workshop.
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

..and a 20% caloric deficit puts your daily calories at 2402. 3003 to maintain if your a male.
    1979 to cut at 20%, 2473 to maintain if your a female.

Something may be off but if you eat too little your body goes into starvation mode and your metabolism slows way down. Its worth looking into atleast.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Do you use a food scale to weigh everything?
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    5 weeks isn't very long and starting an exercise routine can cause you to retain additional water. Chances are you just need to stick with it and be patient.
  • mgookin
    mgookin Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I am shorter then you and take in 2100 calories a day, sometimes more and have been steadily losing weight. And the only thing I do is count calories and occassional walks depending on the weather.

Are you logging everything correctly? Using a scale? I would consider opening your diary that way we can help give you some advice
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    BiggeA wrote: »
    1500 calories for a 5ft 10 frame at 277lb seems low.

I put you digits in on scoobys workshop.
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

..and a 20% caloric deficit puts your daily calories at 2402. 3003 to maintain if your a male.
    1979 to cut at 20%, 2473 to maintain if your a female.

Something may be off but if you eat too little your body goes into starvation mode and your metabolism slows way down. Its worth looking into atleast.

No it doesn't. 'Starvation mode' in the way you are referencing it doesn't exist.

Any metabolic effect requires a sustained period of severely restricted calories. Think concentration camps and starving children.

OP eating 1500 calories doesn't even come close.
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I'm 26, 5'10 and 277lbs taking in 1500 a day and debating lowering again.

I'm 28, 5'10", 279 pounds and eat 1640 calories a day to lose two pounds a week. I am sedentary by definition so that's what I have mine set to. It's been quite accurate for me. Give it some more time and be as accurate as you can.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Something medical going on or maybe not measuring food- do you use a scale?

Sorry that sounds really frustrating!
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    alyssa0061 wrote: »
    I'm 26, 5'10 and 277lbs taking in 1500 a day and debating lowering again.

I'm 28, 5'10", 279 pounds and eat 1640 calories a day to lose two pounds a week. I am sedentary by definition so that's what I have mine set to. It's been quite accurate for me. Give it some more time and be as accurate as you can.

I'm 27, 6'0", and 296lbs. My calorie goal for sedentary is 1680 to lose 2lbs a week. I agree that that calorie goal sounds about right, though I supplement mine by walking so I get to eat more.

Just be sure you're logging all of your food as accurately as you can.
  • peach0725
    peach0725 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yes I have a food scale. I weigh, measure, and log everything that goes into my body. I struggle to eat as many calories as I do so increasing sounds scary lol thank you everyone, I should learn to be more patient.