Red wine

Options
Hi all,

I've been a user of MyFitnessPal for years but never posted on the forum before so please bear with me!

I'm trying to lose about 10lbs which I have slowly gained over the last year. I start my super diet tomorrow and I'm feeling really motivated. But I have a question...

All dieting aside, currently I tend to have at least 2 glasses of red wine per night during the week. It's a bad habit which I will be stopping whilst I'm on my diet, but out of interest will cutting out my nightly couple of glasses of red wine affect my weight loss much at all?

I've heard various things about red wine such as it stops your body sorting fat etc but I also know there is about 600 calories in a bottle of wine.

What's the truth? And will cutting it out significantly affect my weight loss?

Thanks guys!

Replies

• ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    There's about 500 calories in a bottle of the stuff, so cutting it out or limiting it to weekends would help you reach your goal.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    If you aren't replacing those calories with food, then it'll add to your deficit. That being said, I know many people who still had 1-2 glasses regularly and lost weight, they just worked it into their calories.
  • PhilHarrison1
    PhilHarrison1 Posts: 16 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    And remember if you have a glass of wine and eat something, that something you ate goes straight into storage [fat]. The body must burn Alcohol before it can burn any other calories. Alcohol is readily available and needs no processing for the body to handle. Other foods require processing. So if you have a glass of wine and cheese and crackers for a snack, the cheese and crackers become fat. If you have wine with dinner and an apple for dessert, the dinner and the apple get stored while your body tries to use up the alcohol. Beer and nachos? Guess where the nachos go...

So Wine helping the body not store fat? How many glasses did they have before they wrote that?

Alcohol must be burned first before the body can access the other foods.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    What's a "super diet"? You can have wine and still lose weight. I sure as hell will be having alcohol after this baby lol.
  • BiggDaddy58
    BiggDaddy58 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    http://www.medicaldaily.com/red-wine-burns-fat-and-lowers-blood-pressure-plus-5-other-health-benefits-winos-321382

http://www.shape.com/weight-loss/food-weight-loss/ask-diet-doctor-red-wine-worth-calories

I recommend, as with anything, do your own research. It will be hard or damn near impossible, to get answers which all lead to a overall consensus.

You will however, educate yourself, and learn how to balance your wine with your diet.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    If it fits in your daily calories goals --go for it. Or not. I find it helpful to have those extra 250 calories for food to fuel workouts, but it doesn't really matter. When I do have wine, I measure out a 5oz pour just to know what a serving looks like and try to keep it to 2 servings. Not always successful.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I prefer white myself. I usually have 2 glasses a night, sometimes a little more. I'm about 3 pounds from my UGW. I am not so sure about the body storing food you consume with alcohol as fat, but I maybe it's the pistachios I eat with the wine that have kept my boobs from deflating altogether. :lol:
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    l3mmmy wrote: »
    Hi all,

I've been a user of MyFitnessPal for years but never posted on the forum before so please bear with me!

I'm trying to lose about 10lbs which I have slowly gained over the last year. I start my super diet tomorrow and I'm feeling really motivated. But I have a question...

All dieting aside, currently I tend to have at least 2 glasses of red wine per night during the week. It's a bad habit which I will be stopping whilst I'm on my diet, but out of interest will cutting out my nightly couple of glasses of red wine affect my weight loss much at all?

I've heard various things about red wine such as it stops your body sorting fat etc but I also know there is about 600 calories in a bottle of wine.

What's the truth? And will cutting it out significantly affect my weight loss?

Thanks guys!

Red wine is a nice cholesterol lowering top 10 "food". Just account for the calories in your glass(es) and you'll be fine as long as your daily calories total up to a deficit.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    If you aren't replacing those calories with food, then it'll add to your deficit. That being said, I know many people who still had 1-2 glasses regularly and lost weight, they just worked it into their calories.

This.

You could cut it to 1 a night.
  • kschwab0203
    kschwab0203 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I have a similar problem, but it's not always wine...it's beer. :# My boyfriend and I drink probably 3-4 times per week. I know this is a huge problem and has almost 100% contributed to my 25 lb weight gain. That and the late night eating that comes along with the beer drinking.

It's not always easy though, not to have those few drinks. Sucks!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    And remember if you have a glass of wine and eat something, that something you ate goes straight into storage [fat]. The body must burn Alcohol before it can burn any other calories. Alcohol is readily available and needs no processing for the body to handle. Other foods require processing. So if you have a glass of wine and cheese and crackers for a snack, the cheese and crackers become fat. If you have wine with dinner and an apple for dessert, the dinner and the apple get stored while your body tries to use up the alcohol. Beer and nachos? Guess where the nachos go...

So Wine helping the body not store fat? How many glasses did they have before they wrote that?

Alcohol must be burned first before the body can access the other foods.

If you're in a deficit, all the calories will get burned -- regardless of wine consumption. Your body can't store energy in a deficit, even if you are having a glass or two of wine.
  • applesandtapeline
    applesandtapeline Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    If you really want results with your diet then ditch alcohol for good. It dehydrates, slows metabolism and are unnecessary calories that you could consume with good food that fuels your body to do it's functions - lose weight if calories are in deficit, and keep overall health if nutrition is on point.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    If you really want results with your diet then ditch alcohol for good. It dehydrates, slows metabolism and are unnecessary calories that you could consume with good food that fuels your body to do it's functions - lose weight if calories are in deficit, and keep overall health if nutrition is on point.

You can have results and include alcohol in your diet. This is just wrong.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

You can get good results from eliminating alcohol, but it isn't *required* for good results. You can still consume good food that allows your body to meet nutritional needs and have some wine. You can also maintain a deficit to lose weight (if that's your goal). Consuming alcohol and meeting nutritional needs aren't contradictory goals -- people can do both.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    It's empty calories at 25 calories per ounce of wine. Everyone needs to decide what is important to themselves.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I have seen significant improvement in my boyfriend's well-being since I started having a little wine after a rough day. YMMV.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I have seen significant improvement in my boyfriend's well-being since I started having a little wine after a rough day. YMMV.

LOL.
    One must weigh such options.

Do we have bloodshed or do we have wine? Good, hand me the corkscrew.