Help with unexpected weight gain and body fat.

Ok so last week I was 169 this week 174..... what happen is that even possible. I do Insanity 3 times a week and weight training 4 times a week. I was a little more hungry then normal. I figured because I increased my intensity. So I did eat more but it was more protein then anything else. I did have 2 cheat meals that week but could that cause 4 pound increase. Could it be water weight? Also I bough a scale that suppose to tell me my body fat it's days I am at 47%. I posted my picture for your review it's my befo3g8nkauton5k.jpg
re and after shot. I don't think so. My skeletal muscle is 24% and BMI 33. Any thoughts and guidance

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Some of the gain is water, some is waste not yet excreted, and some may be fat.

A calorie deficit is needed to lose weight, one exercises for health.

If you haven't already put your stats into MFP and aim to lose 1 lbs a week ( 1.5 if you have to lose 50+ and 2 if it is over 75).
    Get a food scale and log all you eat accurately.
    Eat back exercise calories. Sometimes you have to adjust how much you eat back so you are losing at the goal you set.

Bathroom scales are not accurate for anything but your weight.

Cheers, h.
  • jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    If you just got a new scale, that might account for the difference itself.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Worry about week to week fluctuations in weight less and instead compare your current weight to your weight the same time 1 month ago.

I gain 2 pounds at the beginning of every month, then I plateau for 2 weeks, then I lose 4 or 5 pounds the last 2 weeks of the month. The weight gain and plateau was driving me crazy until I realized it happens every month so must have to do with my hormones & cycle.

That being said you can expect weight gain when you eat over calories or have cheat meals, so don't do that too often. Eating up to maintenance calories once a week is probably fine but otherwise try to stick to your calorie goal.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Don't worry too much what your scale says is your body fat percentage (none of them will be exactly right), but do use it to track wether your body fat percentage is decreasing over time like it should be- that should at least be somewhat accurate.

Make sure you always and only weigh first thing in the morning after using the bathroom and before eating or drinking. That way you will get the most accurate results. Otherwise your weight and body fat percent can be greatly affected by your hydration level, food in your system, even exercise.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Worry about week to week fluctuations in weight less and instead compare your current weight to your weight the same time 1 month ago.

I gain 2 pounds at the beginning of every month, then I plateau for 2 weeks, then I lose 4 or 5 pounds the last 2 weeks of the month. The weight gain and plateau was driving me crazy until I realized it happens every month so must have to do with my hormones & cycle.

That being said you can expect weight gain when you eat over calories or have cheat meals, so don't do that too often. Eating up to maintenance calories once a week is probably fine but otherwise try to stick to your calorie goal.

Your post makes no sense.. She weighed from one week ago and gained scale weight..

OP the cheat days will cause scale weight, not necessarily fat gain unless you did go over your maintenance calories either daily or weekly to cause real fat gain.. Notice I did not say scale weight.

Scale weight will be in the form of more food in gut/waste not eliminated (sorry tmi), female hormones (women tend to gain 2 times a month ovulation and week leading up and day of menses), hydration or lack there of, carb in take (more or less consumption than normal), sodium, muscle repair, glycogen etc..)

Also the body weight scale you have that registers all your body composition stats are very unreliable and not accurate in the least. These scales are higher dollar scales that really are only good for body weight and nothing else.

I also second that if this is a new scale, your weight might be different as well..