Suggestions on Low Carb foods.

Options
2»

Replies

• tracefan
    tracefan Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    As far as meat/fish, chicken, hamburger, no roll and salmon.
    fruit banana (carbs) and strawberries
    Green veggies mostly.
    I'm staying away from potatoes and rice for now. Even Quinoa for a while. Mornings are egg whites. and I have cottage cheese. blah I'll have deli chicken for lunch plain or a salad. dinner is fish or chicken or turkey and I mix it up and have a burger some nights or make ground turkey taco lettuce wraps. I made butternut squash soup but again (carbs)
  • jdwils14
    jdwils14 Posts: 154 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    sauteed vegetables (any variety) are awesome, in my opinion. A lot of the carbs are fiber, so its not all bad. Fried taters, zucchini, fried in butter, with melted mozzarella cheese and a hint of buttermilk ranch...tasty! Potatoes don't have fiber, but they provide a ton of potassium, so it evens out.

I also like spinach and brussel sprouts. Sauteed asparagus is good too, when it is on sale. Last night, I sauteed it in bacon grease....kept the bacon in....it was killer!
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    tracefan wrote: »
    I wish I ate steak I don't like it.. I will have hamburger no roll
    Steak.

tumblr_maqfyoR2sh1rugunyo1_250.gif
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    MistressPi wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I love to try new recipes at sites like NOMNOMPALEO, IBreatheI'mHungry, Dietdoctor, forums.lowcarber.org etc. ... but I also collect cookbooks and love to cook. Basically, I try for a variety of textures, colors, and flavors (salt, umami, sour, sweet (achieved with splenda, stevia or sugar alcohols, or a combination thereof) and bitter. I add lemon or lime juice to soups and stews and sometimes hot sauce; I garnish with chopped herbs, and have contrasting textures on the side. I try to eat a good amount of vegetables and/or salads, with a little fruit (berries, melons are best, sometimes a bit of stone fruit like cherries or peach in season ... nothing is off limits forever. If you're losing weight, and you have a lot to lose, you could stay on 20g net carbs per day for a long time, but eventually you should gradually increase your daily carb count as a path towards pre-maintenance and maintenance. This makes it sustainable in the long run.

The bolded is not really true. Some people choose to eat low carb their entire life and find it very sustainable. I've been LCHF for about 18 months, and I see no reason to go back to eating higher carb, nor do I have a large desire to do so.

Um... my point, really, is that one can (and most people should) increase their carbs above the 20 g per day threshold where most low carb diets begin. This is the path to maintenance that Dr. Atkins recommended, as well as the authors of the latest Atkins book. Eating 25, 30, 35, 40 grams per day or more (depending on your personal physiology) is possible while still allowing one to remain in ketosis and lose weight, although possibly more slowly, depending on how much exercise one does. People who follow Paleo diets are following diets that are "low carb" (relative to SAD), providing they're not stuffing themselves all day with bananas, sweet potatoes and the like, and many manage to lose weight by keeping their grams of carbs under 50 per day. Paleo proponent Mark Sisson recommends people following his program to consume zero to 50 grams a day for "ketosis and accelerated fat burning" and 50 to 100 grams per day as the "Primal sweet spot for effortless weight loss" when following his plan (which includes play as exercise, and lifting heavy objects). These are ALL "low carb" diets.

YOU may choose to eat under 20 g per day for the rest of your life - that is a matter of personal choice. But I see so many people who stick with zero to 20 grams per day for months on end and then crash and burn, eat all the carbs, and regain every pound they lost. Because they didn't figure out what foods are their personal kryptonite. They didn't figure out what things will cause them to binge, and which foods proscribed at the beginning of their journey can now be reintroduced in moderate amounts without causing blood sugar swings or weight gain. They didn't modify their diets in a way that enabled them to maintain and reverted to habits that made them fat. This is what the Atkins method strives to void, and I believe it is important for most people who do low carb diets, whatever those diets are called.

I understand that is your point, but it is an opinion and not a fact. There is no health or scientific reason that people "should increase their carbs above 20g per day". I'm not saying that everyone should eat 20g of carbs per day. Most people don't need to restrict carbs that much and many won't want to. But they don't need to increase carbs for any health reason at all. Low carb diets have been proven safe over and over again.

Sure, some people may eat their problem food and then binge on it but that is no different for any diet. If I eat some peanut m&ms I find it hard to stop. If I had a soda I would have sweets and carb cravings for days. That was true when I was attempting to moderate a higher carb diet than I eat now. I found it even harder to have just a little than I do to skip a food completely. I know my personal kryptonites and I avoid them. Kryptonite is generally a thing to be avoided and not something to expose yourself to in moderation... if from Krypton anyways.

So people can choose to add back in some carbs, if their health allows it. Others can choose not to add back carbs.
  • Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    tracefan wrote: »
    As far as meat/fish, chicken, hamburger, no roll and salmon.
    fruit banana (carbs) and strawberries
    Green veggies mostly.
    I'm staying away from potatoes and rice for now. Even Quinoa for a while. Mornings are egg whites. and I have cottage cheese. blah I'll have deli chicken for lunch plain or a salad. dinner is fish or chicken or turkey and I mix it up and have a burger some nights or make ground turkey taco lettuce wraps. I made butternut squash soup but again (carbs)

I'd get bored of that too. Go google some low carb recipes OP! There are a bazillion websites with them. You can google almost anything you want and you'd find a low carb substitution. Then cook enough and eat during the week.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I love to try new recipes at sites like NOMNOMPALEO, IBreatheI'mHungry, Dietdoctor, forums.lowcarber.org etc. ... but I also collect cookbooks and love to cook. Basically, I try for a variety of textures, colors, and flavors (salt, umami, sour, sweet (achieved with splenda, stevia or sugar alcohols, or a combination thereof) and bitter. I add lemon or lime juice to soups and stews and sometimes hot sauce; I garnish with chopped herbs, and have contrasting textures on the side. I try to eat a good amount of vegetables and/or salads, with a little fruit (berries, melons are best, sometimes a bit of stone fruit like cherries or peach in season ... nothing is off limits forever. If you're losing weight, and you have a lot to lose, you could stay on 20g net carbs per day for a long time, but eventually you should gradually increase your daily carb count as a path towards pre-maintenance and maintenance. This makes it sustainable in the long run.

The bolded is not really true. Some people choose to eat low carb their entire life and find it very sustainable. I've been LCHF for about 18 months, and I see no reason to go back to eating higher carb, nor do I have a large desire to do so.

Um... my point, really, is that one can (and most people should) increase their carbs above the 20 g per day threshold where most low carb diets begin. This is the path to maintenance that Dr. Atkins recommended, as well as the authors of the latest Atkins book. Eating 25, 30, 35, 40 grams per day or more (depending on your personal physiology) is possible while still allowing one to remain in ketosis and lose weight, although possibly more slowly, depending on how much exercise one does. People who follow Paleo diets are following diets that are "low carb" (relative to SAD), providing they're not stuffing themselves all day with bananas, sweet potatoes and the like, and many manage to lose weight by keeping their grams of carbs under 50 per day. Paleo proponent Mark Sisson recommends people following his program to consume zero to 50 grams a day for "ketosis and accelerated fat burning" and 50 to 100 grams per day as the "Primal sweet spot for effortless weight loss" when following his plan (which includes play as exercise, and lifting heavy objects). These are ALL "low carb" diets.

YOU may choose to eat under 20 g per day for the rest of your life - that is a matter of personal choice. But I see so many people who stick with zero to 20 grams per day for months on end and then crash and burn, eat all the carbs, and regain every pound they lost. Because they didn't figure out what foods are their personal kryptonite. They didn't figure out what things will cause them to binge, and which foods proscribed at the beginning of their journey can now be reintroduced in moderate amounts without causing blood sugar swings or weight gain. They didn't modify their diets in a way that enabled them to maintain and reverted to habits that made them fat. This is what the Atkins method strives to void, and I believe it is important for most people who do low carb diets, whatever those diets are called.

The original Paleo diet was not low carb. It has a range of carb levels that can achieved in that. And lower carbs doesn't accelerate fat loss. That is just BS that Mark Sisson promotes.

OP, how about nuts, full fat cheese, full fat dairy?

Also, eating carbs doesn't stop fat loss. A calorie deficit, regardless of carb level will provide overall fat loss. If you want better body composition, then lift and aim to get adequate protein.
  • Tammygreenspan
    Tammygreenspan Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I really like this new lunch I've been making . Arugula then I add roast beef slices paper thin a few paper thin pieces of Lacey baby Swiss add a squeeze of lemon and olive oil if you like. I can bring in a box of arugula pound of roast beef and five slices of cheese and that's my lunch for the week
  • tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I had leftover Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole for lunch, super yummy. I also do a salad some days with Chicken, lettuce, cucumbers, bacon, walnuts, strawberries and Chipolte Ranch Dressing. I don't do pasta either, but I do enjoy a nice bowl of sauce and meatballs, stir frys are super great and fast (steak or chicken, brocolli, onions, peppers), had pizza topping casserole the other night for super when my sons had pizza. We try new recipes all the time. I have found a bunch that have become family favorites. When I started I knew I would get bored if I ate the same things for very long, so I bought a nice set of cookware and started googling new recipes.