Happy October, who toasts pumpkin seeds?

Options
And how do you do it? I scoop from the pumpkin, leaving them coated with goop. Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with garlic salt and bake at 375 or so until they start to brown, tossing often along the way. I have no real recipe.

I've seen all kinds of much more complicated instructions, which include soaking overnight, rinsing etc. Not sure why you would wash the pumpkinny goodness off of them?

Oh and if anyone has a good calorie calculation for toasted, homemade seeds, let me know what you use. Most of what is in the database seems to be prepackaged stuff. I know my EVOO adds cals, but...worth it.

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I rinse and just roast in a pan sprayed with olive oil, nothing special.

Here's the nutrition information from the USDA: https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/19768?manu=&fgcd=&ds=

Just add any oil separately.
  • mylifeisbeautiful
    mylifeisbeautiful Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I love roasted pumpkin and squash seeds!! I sometimes sprinkle them with sesame seeds too. No fancy seasoning- just olive oil and salt. I also do not soak.
  • The_Ugly_One
    The_Ugly_One Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I typically clean all the pumpkin goo off of them and then soak them in salt water for a few hours. That way I don't have to add salt during the baking process and there is more surface area left for garlic powder or chili powder etc. I also don't add any oil to them...just cook them on a baking sheet with a little cooking spray to prevent sticking.
  • crabbybrianna
    crabbybrianna Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I rinse mine and let them dry, then I toss them in a bit of melted butter and then sprinkle them with creole seasoning (or just salt, depending on how I feel). Bake at 300°F for 45 minutes, stirring them around often.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I have tried in the past and I always feel like I am eating mouthful of cardboard, so I only assume I am messing it up somehow!
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    mmm, oldest daughter roasted us some delicious pumpkin seeds, she oiled and salted them and put the ethiopian spice mix on them. So good.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I did last year tossed with a little bit of oil, some garlic salt and Parmesan cheese. Really good!