Dieting to lose weight

Options
Is it possible to lose weight without working out everyday? Last year, I worked out 6 days out of the week and was in great shape. I also kept up on my diet. I fell off this year though, and am trying to get back on track. I'm finding it hard to make it to the gym everyday while balancing out school and work. On the other hand, I feel like I can manage my diet pretty well. Will I still see progress if I clean up my diet and only go to the gym like 2 or 3 times a week??

Replies

• Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I dont go the gym or do much actual excersise and i lost over 30lbs.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    yes, you just need a calorie deficit to lose weight. you can achieve that laid in bed all day!
  • Cbestinme
    Cbestinme Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I think I've heard veteran mfp users say that weight loss is about the food you eat, while exercise is about fitness. To lose weight without exercise you may need to tweak your food intake (rinse, repeat) and find what works for you.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    You will be fine, just need to be in a calorie deficit. You might not be in the same shape as when you were working out that much, but 3 days a week is still great. Technically you don't have to work out at all, but it's better if you do to preserve muscle and prioritize fat loss. And also for the overall health benefits.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Absolutely you can lose weight without working out everyday. I've lost 70+ lbs without working out at all, except for walking. As others have said, it's primarily for the health/fitness benefits.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight without working out at all...I wouldn't recommend it though. Losing weight is all about consuming less energy than you expend...regular exercise just ups your daily energy expenditure a little which can make things easier, but it's not necessary.

On the fitness front, I'm pretty fit...I don't workout everyday...my rest and recovery are also important.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit is to lose weight. Lifting is to look good. I would advocate the use of both but you do not NEED to go 6 days a week. In fact most seasoned lifters would consider that over training.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Is it possible to lose weight without working out everyday?

Yes, of course it is. It's even possible to lose weight without exercising at all. I, personally, wouldn't recommend it, but you can do it. Your level of fitness what would suffer. So yea, 3-4 times a week is normal for most people. I'm still going at it for 6 days a week but within 1-2 years once I hit my fitness goals I'll be dropping back to 5 days, then 4. I expect to settle on every other day, so Tu, Thu, Sat, Sun in the end. Just remember, exercising more = eating more. So if you can stay within your goals with exercising less, go for it.

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    It's certainly possible but it will increase the chance that you will lose some of the strength and muscle you have gained as a result.
  • FitLaughLove
    FitLaughLove Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the replies! They were so helpful and definitely put my mind at ease over working out!