bigger belly at the end of the day ?

Options
Is it normal to have a bigger/ more bloated tummy at the end of the day ? why does it happen and what can I do to prevent it ?

Replies

• rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Same thing happens to me.....after I have several beers.
    I think its only natural to grow a bit after having water and food. Its also the reason I weigh only in the morning when I wake up.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Well, your belly is full of the food you ate all day.

Don't sweat it.

If it's bloat from sodium, drink more water.

Yep
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I bloat by the end of the day. Taking into account the food Ive eaten-water-sodium, etc.
    Especially if I eat certain things... white breads- lettuce- dairy. Ill have an impressive "food baby" by the time I get home.
    Also I think my posture slips as the day goes on and I get tired.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Yup definitely normal.. especially now that I'm bulking I look at least 4 months pregnant by the time I go to bed.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    You're putting food and liquids into your belly all day...so yeah
  • natalie3505
    natalie3505 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Me too! I think, for me anyway, that it's because I eat most of my calories at dinner. By morning, I'm ok-ish with how I look. I guess it's part of the gig.
  • heyghoge
    heyghoge Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I wish I could find it again, but I saw a web article recently (I'm sure it can't be the only one) where a few super-svelte/skinny models and such showed alternate photos of themselves sitting down at unflattering angles, at the end of the day, etc. One lady who 'normally' had a flat, toned tummy snapped a pic of herself in the day - flat stomach - and then at the end of the day when she'd eaten a full meal, and she had a little potbelly. Which I'm sure was gone in the morning.

Basically, it is normal at any weight. Your body will not be Instagram-ready 24/7, even models don't have flawless bodies 24/7 because bodies... don't work like that....
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Normal.

It can be much more bloated if you've eaten something that you have food sensitivities to though. For me that's wine & gluten. Instant bloat belly double the size of my normal end of day bloat belly.
  • TreyTnt9
    TreyTnt9 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Just curious. Why is it only women complain of "bloated" bellies? Is this a fad? Men eat more than women and they never complain of "bloat".
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    If you consumed any fluids or food, they will be in your stomach. I'd say its normal.
  • ArchyRunner
    ArchyRunner Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I did a little research the other day and discovered all the wonderful differences between soluble and insoluble fiber. Soluble stays in the gut a whole lot longer and swells up immensely (thus keeping you feeling full), insoluble sort of sweeps through quickly and doesn't swell. Looking at my food diary it turned out I was eating a ton of soluble fiber foods and not a whole lot of insoluble. You need both to be healthy, but too much soluble and I had extremely painful bloating and weird weight spikes. Now I try and balance it more consciously, biasing the soluble intake towards the first half of the day.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    I did a little research the other day and discovered all the wonderful differences between soluble and insoluble fiber. Soluble stays in the gut a whole lot longer and swells up immensely (thus keeping you feeling full), insoluble sort of sweeps through quickly and doesn't swell. Looking at my food diary it turned out I was eating a ton of soluble fiber foods and not a whole lot of insoluble. You need both to be healthy, but too much soluble and I had extremely painful bloating and weird weight spikes. Now I try and balance it more consciously, biasing the soluble intake towards the first half of the day.

This is interesting however has nothing to do with the thread title.
  • kim4286
    kim4286 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I always feel like if I am stuck sitting at my desk a lot during the work day I feel more bloated when I get home. I always to to get up and walk around when possible.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Yeah I've never experienced anything I'd call "bloat". I've eaten a lot and had a big buldge in my stomach as a result and felt overfull but thats because I ate a ton. Is that "bloat"? If so why do we have a special word for overeating.

If that isn't bloat then what is bloat, just having a pooch in your stomach area due to water retention? I mean that will happen but thats pretty natural, not sure its something worth trying to avoid.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    bloat=gassy?