Strength training - bulky?

Options
Hi, I just have a question regarding strength training. I'm male, and most would assume that I'd want to be buff and muscular, and have a wide torso that looks strong, but in fact, I don't. All I want is a toned chest with no visible fat, just flesh but it has to look toned, but not bulky or big. I want to be slim and muscular, if that makes sense. So to get to the point, I'm afraid that doing strength training ( 3 days a week currently ) is going to make me all bulky and big? I don't want to be like Arnold Schwarzeneggar. It's an exaggeration, but I don't want to be nearly like how he looks. All I want is a slim, fatless body. So should I continue doing strength training? Or should I stop it and just do cardio regularly. I'm going from 210 lbs, and I'm now at 183 (27 lbs down). Thanks for your help!

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Continue to strength train and eat at a deficit. Losing body fat will help reveal what you have underneath.

If you are not satisfied with that, then you will probably have to eat in a surplus and 'bulk' to gain muscle. This can be a tough process and 'bulking' doesn't necessarily mean you will become Arnold big. That doesn't happen just overnight. But if you eat in a surplus and lift, you can build more muscle. And then cut again to get rid of the fat.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    You have to eat more to grow muscle. If you work out and eat to maintain the mass you have, you just end up lean and strong.

I work in an office full of endurance triathletes and plenty of them have the body type you are going for, so maybe cardio only would work for you, as long as what you are doing involves upper body.

Oh, and also there are strong guys in my yoga class with the body type you like. So maybe bodyweight training and cardio would work.

So based on guys I know I think you CAN get the look you want without lifting, but weight training is probably the most efficient way to get what you are looking for.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    You won't get bulky by accident. :yawn:

Do more cardio and less weights if you're really afraid.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    abty48xs8mpu.jpg

There aren't enough awesomes for this pic.
  • Fatvaporizer
    Fatvaporizer Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the advice. I'm just afraid that I'll build all this muscle and turn my upper body into big and bulky, and won't be able to reverse it. I know I know sound a bit naive but it's just a concern and uncertainty as to whether I should do it or not.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Options
    Thank you for all the advice. I'm just afraid that I'll build all this muscle and turn my upper body into big and bulky, and won't be able to reverse it. I know I know sound a bit naive but it's just a concern and uncertainty as to whether I should do it or not.

Don't worry you won't. It's not as easy as people think to build muscle. And calling it bulky is a bit insulting. :/
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Keep lifting. You want to preserve your muscles, or else when you reach your goal weight you'll look "skinny fat".

It's quite difficult to build muscle and lose weight at the same time, anyway.
  • jdoubleu1224
    jdoubleu1224 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Lifting is good to add regardless and like a lot have said if you aren't eating and training to bulk you really won't have that problem.
  • MsRuffBuffNStuff
    MsRuffBuffNStuff Posts: 363 Member
    Options

I on the other hand would like to build 50 pounds of muscle if I can - I'd love to get "big and bulky" and never reverse it. And yeah, do whatever you want, don't worry, you won't get strong on accident. It takes years of hard work.

• Fatvaporizer
    Fatvaporizer Posts: 139 Member
    Options

Don't worry you won't. It's not as easy as people think to build muscle. And calling it bulky is a bit insulting. :/

I'm sorry if it offended you. I just call it that because I was referring to 'bulk.' People say 'I do weight training to bulk' so 'bulking' just made sense. I didn't know it was rude.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

I'm sorry if it offended you. I just call it that because I was referring to 'bulk.' People say 'I do weight training to bulk' so 'bulking' just made sense. I didn't know it was rude.

Bulking also includes eating in a calorie surplus, and it can take some time to do (men can gain, I believe, 1/2 pound of muscle a week in a bulk under optimal conditions...women half of that).
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    In all seriousness, getting bulky is a long, slow process. It doesn't happen overnight, and it doesn't happen by accident. If you start becoming more muscular than you like, simply alter your training or stop. You'll have plenty of warning.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    agree . . . you'll see it coming in time to stop it, if that's what you want to do.

don't take me as the only source . but everything i've read and been told is that 'hypertrophy' (i.e. your body adding new muscle mass) happens if you lift in the 8-12 rep range. in other words, if you do 8-12 repetitions of an exercise in every set, your body's muscle-creation will be more strongly triggered.

lifting in the 5-rep range, even with heavier weights, has a different effect. you get stronger without adding very much visible 'bulk'. i'm a little hesitant about stating this as solid fact since i'm a woman and not all that disposed to growing muscle in the first place. but for what it's worth, i can tell you that for more than a year i've been lifting with four to six men of varying ages/physical types and fitness levels. almsot all of us are doing 3x5 or similar programs, and i've seen them all get stronger over the time i've been there. some of them have gotten leaner. nobody's totally changed builds or body types though.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Many people, myself included, spend years going to the gym, eating correctly, training hard and still don't see the results we expected. The "bulky" look is normally used to describe people who have some muscle mass with some excess fat over the top. Unless you are a genetic freak or taking a boat load of drugs, you will not get bulky by weightlifting and eating in a caloric deficit.

My advice would be to get as lean as you want to be before slowly increasing calories whilst continuing weight lifting.

Muscles won't appear over night.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    abty48xs8mpu.jpg

So true. People act like they can walk into the gym, knock out some sets on the bench press and look like Arnold.

99.999999999% of people that say they worry that lifting will make them "bulky" will never, ever have that problem.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

As a natural lifter you really have to put a lot of effort into diet, lifting and rest to get big and you can reverse any muscle hypertrophy very quickly by just stopping or even lowering your lifting and caloric intake. That being said, you have no idea what you'll look like with a few extra pounds of muscle on you so you don't even know what you'll think of it yet. A lot of times we see women (I know you are a man but women are often more concerned about this) who are afraid to get "bulky" start to like the way they look with added muscle, but no they don't get bulky either but do add some muscle and definition.

Don't overthink it just do it and see how you like it. It's so easy to lose muscle you won't have to worry.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    One of the PTs at my gym went from a tall and skinny football (soccer) player to a huge and very muscular guy.

Between those points was 10 years of very hard and dedicated training.
    He could have stopped growing at any point he wanted to.

Why don't you pick a sport that typically has the physique you desire and train like them?
    You may well find that strength training plays a part in that ideal (for you) physique.