LOOKING FOR SUPPORT, ADVICE & HELP ALONG THE WAY

Options
Keep in mind that I'm an idiot and I have absolutely no idea what I’m doing or saying, but here goes...

I played sports just about everyday all year round when I was younger so when I set my mind to it, I can lose weight fairly fast...although it seems a little less fast the older I get. Anyway, I'll go through periods where I’ll hit the gym 4-5 days a week for 3-4 months, than I'll get "too busy" and I’ll just stop going and lose the good habits for 6-8 months, sometimes a year or more at a time. Then slowly– and sometimes NOT so slowly– I’ll gain all the weight back that I fought so hard to lose. It’s a cyclical nightmare. On the lower end of the weight cycle I’m happy and I feel great and I wanna go out all the time because I’m proud of how I look and feel. Unfortunately on the upper end of that scale...not so much. I’m too self conscious to even walk out the door some nights. But honestly, what can I do? I’m “too busy.”

What a great excuse this has been for me over the years. It’s just a meaningless filler for the end of every sentence. It fits EVERYthing...

Why isn’t your diet better?
I try, but I’m just “too busy” to prepare my meals at home.

Why didn’t I see you at the gym this week?
I wanted to go, but I got “too busy”.

Where ya been? Haven’t seen you around in awhile. We miss ya!
Wow, sorry...can’t seem to make it out lately. I’m just “too busy”.

Am I? Are you?? Are we really too busy to make it to the gym 3-4 hours a week? I always seem to find the time to catch up with my favorite TV shows on On Demand or on my DVR. I seem to find the time to watch the Phillies drive me to the brink of launching a shoe through my television night after night...after night...after night...ugh. For 20 Sundays a year I have enough time to watch football, sometimes even all day. Got enough time to make it out most weeks to shoot in my pool league. But for some reason for months and months on end I just can’t seem to find the time to make it out to the gym a few hours a week to keep off that same 20-30lbs– sometimes a little more and sometimes a little less– that I seem to take off and put back on every couple years.

Admittedly, I AM a very busy person. I AM juggling a lot of things just like everyone else on this site, but to say that I don’t have an extra 20-30 minutes a day to make time to plan a healthier diet or to hit the gym or at least workout at home 3-4 hours a week is an excuse. It’s not even an excuse, it’s just a lie. It’s a lie that I’ve told myself constantly to the point that I actually believe it. I DO have time. Does anyone else have time?

I’m just looking for some people that might have the same issues that I’ve had over the years so we can all help each other out, because once this weight comes off it’s NEVER coming back again. I’m done. I had it...and if you’ve had it too, we should definitely help each other out because I truly believe that my biggest problem over the years has been the fact that I always go at it alone and I have no support from people that have had the same issues with their weight and bounce around constantly to the extent that I do.

The last time I spoke to someone about my weight issues, some 23 year old, 110lb toothpick overheard us and she turns to us and says “Not to be rude, but I don’t feel sorry for anyone that has weight issues. If you have weight problems, that’s your fault. I eat whatever I want, whenever I want and as long as I run my 2 miles twice a week it all stays off.”

Really? Because, at the time I was in the gym 4 days a week and was running over 20 miles a week and had hit a plateau that I couldn’t seem to get around even with all that effort I was giving. So I see your 4 miles a week and raise you all in. Thank you for your words of encouragement you tiny, know nothing, petite framed little jerk@#f! We all weren’t blessed with blazing fast metabolism and an IQ low enough to think that you can say something like that and not be glared at through rolling eyes and scowls of disgust and hatred.

I know that I could use some help and support and encouragement for the bad days that we all suffer through when we’re trying our hardest and getting seemingly little results, but also for the days ahead after you reach your goals, so that we can help each other keep going and not slowly slump back to the bad habits that got us to point that we have to start the fight all over again. If you think along the way you'll need some friendly help, advice, encouragement, whatever...don’t be shy, just hit me up because honestly, I have a lot of friends, but none that can relate to this.

Everyone I know seems to either not care at all about taking care of themselves or is SO freakin’ competitive that every word of advice and support is about you not pushing yourself hard enough. Apparently, you have to push yourself to the limits until your whole body becomes a shallow puddle of sweat and you pee yourself on the gym floor or your just "wasting your time!"

I’m not doing that. That won't work for me because I'll end up right back where I'm at now if I try that again. I’m hitting the gym 3 times a week and changing my diet forever by cutting down on portions, making better and smarter choices and saying no to the things I know I should avoid 95% of the time. If you’re like minded and need some support friends, I’m your guy, cause my friends suck and I could use the help, LoL