High calorie foods for bad days?

Options
Woke this morning to the familiar signs of an ulcerative colitis flare. So for the moment, high fat and high fibre foods are a no no.:( Any suggestions as to what I can eat to keep up the calories? I don't want to undo all the weight gain. Unfortunately I think lactose is a culprit so no milk,cheese or yoghurt either.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    one low calorie day wont ruin all your progress...
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Hope not! Thanks
  • VividDawn
    VividDawn Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    No high fiber means no pasta, huh? Does white bread aggravate it? I get Dunford Bakery bread, and it's 100 calories per slice for the white kind.
    Other things I can think of are rice, bananas, mangos (200 calories for one!), potatos (take the skin off, eat mashed, that should reduce fiber). Hamburger isn't very heart healthy, but if you get the leanest kind it can have a good 150 calories per serving. (200+ if you get the higher fat selections)
    I think fruit juice wouldn't have the fiber that fresh fruit does, and most of those are 100+ calories per serving. But some people have to be careful of drinking too much in one day for the bowel issues it causes.

That"s all I can think of now
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options
    Thank you! White pasta is ok and yeah,I just walked to the local shop to get white bread - no granary for me right now.
    Think you're right about fruit juice - I've got some high calorie smoothies but think I'll go easy on them today- I think the high sugar content can be an issue.
    Thanks for the tips:)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options
    With your condition, are you able to have dairy? I know there is a lot of variation with your condition.
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    With your condition, are you able to have dairy? I know there is a lot of variation with your condition.

I'm OK with small amounts of dairy I think. I'm better with lactose free stuff so think it's lactose rather than dairy as such.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

I'm OK with small amounts of dairy I think. I'm better with lactose free stuff so think it's lactose rather than dairy as such.

If you are ok with lactose free dairy, you could also drink some calories if the fiber is hurting you, such as: sweetened almond or lactose free milk. Some of them are 120-200+ calories. Not hard on digestion either.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    hmm, are avocados OK for you? Avocado and egg.

Crepes are white flour and egg and sugar, they are good.
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options
    Eggs are fine. Thank you for the tips!
  • Pathman1
    Pathman1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Yogurt is good if you have problems with lactose. The Lactobacillus in it breaks down the lactose as part of turning milk into yogurt.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Can you have asian rice noodles? Boil some in broth. Crack an egg and break the yolk. Put it In The soup and and stir until the egg is cooked. You can also add just a pinch of baby greens and chop some ginger and green onions if you want to. just make sure it's super soft. This is basically how I make egg drop soup.
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options
    Hamsibian wrote: »
    Can you have asian rice noodles? Boil some in broth. Crack an egg and break the yolk. Put it In The soup and and stir until the egg is cooked. You can also add just a pinch of baby greens and chop some ginger and green onions if you want to. just make sure it's super soft. This is basically how I make egg drop soup.

Thank you- that sounds delicious. I feel slightly better today but was dropped in at the deep end as we are at someone's house and they served up lentil curry. Ouch.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    If you eat meat, then marinades and sauces are easy way to add calories. Also, go for fatty cuts of meat and dark cuts of poultry.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Hamsibian wrote: »

Thank you- that sounds delicious. I feel slightly better today but was dropped in at the deep end as we are at someone's house and they served up lentil curry. Ouch.

I feel for you!

• Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    Oooh ouch is right. I used to love lentils, but they definitely don't love me.