Eating breakfast

Options

Replies

• StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Krislynell wrote: »
    I am so glad that someone started this discussion. I am the same way, I never used to eat breakfast and I would be fine until mid-morning--lunch. My family doctor told me I need to start eating breakfast because it's so important to metabolism, and now I'm starving and an hour after the fact. I think I'm going to try to skip breakfast, but I've started taking pills that need food taken with them, in the morning when I wake up @6. I guess I'll have to push that back to lunch, since I want to try the no breakfast approach.....

If it was your doctor who told you that the tablets need to be taken with food I would double check that because based on their "breakfast is important for metabolism" comment I would question any advice they gave me.
  • Krislynell
    Krislynell Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    The pharmacist says taking them without food causes upset stomach, so I usually eat just an egg or cheese stick with them.

I like my doctor but he keeps insisting eating every couple hours keeps the metabolism burning since I have a barely functioning thyroid.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Krislynell wrote: »
    The pharmacist says taking them without food causes upset stomach, so I usually eat just an egg or cheese stick with them.

I like my doctor but he keeps insisting eating every couple hours keeps the metabolism burning since I have a barely functioning thyroid.

Metabolism cannot be "stoked" by eating it a continuous process.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    When I first started my diet I tried to get into a habit of eating breakfast (something I didn't tend to do before).

The thing is though I find if I eat breakfast within an hour of eating it I am absolutely starving, whereas if I don't have breakfast I'll be hungry by maybe an hour of so before lunch but I can happily wait it out. I know everyone says breakfast is the most important meal of the day and you should make it your biggest meal but I struggle to find time for anything major and I feel like any kickstart it gives to my metabolism is out countered by the hunger it gives me an hour later and the amount of food I would happily eat in order to make me feel full.

Basically if I eat breakfast, I tend to go over my calorie intake because of the extra hunger. If I don't eat breakfast, I can stay within my calorie limit and enjoy a slightly larger lunch, dinner or snack which I really like.

So what I'm asking is: is breakfast really that important?

Thanks

Old wive's tales and mythology...and there is no "kickstarting" of the metabolism
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    When I first started my diet I tried to get into a habit of eating breakfast (something I didn't tend to do before).

The thing is though I find if I eat breakfast within an hour of eating it I am absolutely starving, whereas if I don't have breakfast I'll be hungry by maybe an hour of so before lunch but I can happily wait it out. I know everyone says breakfast is the most important meal of the day and you should make it your biggest meal but I struggle to find time for anything major and I feel like any kickstart it gives to my metabolism is out countered by the hunger it gives me an hour later and the amount of food I would happily eat in order to make me feel full.

Basically if I eat breakfast, I tend to go over my calorie intake because of the extra hunger. If I don't eat breakfast, I can stay within my calorie limit and enjoy a slightly larger lunch, dinner or snack which I really like.

Thanks

I'm the same way. I leave breakfast off until about 9:30 (wake up aroung 5:00).

If I eat soon after waking, I'm hungry sooner than if I leave breakfast til about 9:30, and end up eating more calories throughout the day.

Do what works for you, @Craft_queen .
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    vassar15 wrote: »
    There are correlation studies out there that state those who eat breakfast are thinner and those who don't eat breakfast. Guess who paid for those studies?

I love breakfast. But for those who can make it through lunchtime without feeling ravenous, you are doing nothing wrong. It is not the most "important" meal of the day.

You're right on those studies.

Plus: the correlations were associated with higher levels of satiety meaning less snacking during the rest of the day. But, if you are using MFP as designed and tracking your food, this is irrelevant. With or without breakfast you track you food and if you have no more calories left - you don't eat (or you move more or make up the short fall the following day).

In short: eating Ad Lib is different than pre or on the spot food logging.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I know everyone says breakfast is the most important meal of the day and you should make it your biggest meal

People who say that are marketers who want you to buy their breakfast products. Or they're just parroting what they heard on a commercial.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »
    I eat breakfast if Im starving..i figure my body needs it. But if I'm not hungry ... I don't eat it because i too feel like it puts me on the eating path for the day.

I was reading a thread where some people successful in maintenance say they do so by not counting calories any longer..they just stick to eating two meals a day and it works perfectly for them. so there ya go!

I have found this to be my answer. I only eat two meals and hit maintenance without trying or going over. I don't have to count calories and seem to be losing a bit of weight based on my clothes fitting looser.

I maintain my weight eating 3-4 meals a day, no calorie counting. I think the important thing is eating meals, not number of meals.
    I weigh myself every day, because I can't base anything on how clothes fit, they seem to just stop fitting.

It doesn't even have to be a meal. In certain time I need to eat, I just eat a few sugar crackers + a black tea. Good for many hours. Is that even a meal?

I like what the second poster said: Whats important is to eat when your hungry, and NOT eating when youre not hungry.

And being empty stomach or a bit hungry-like while you're OK energy-wise is perfectly OK not to eat. Don't rush to food at the first second you feel uncomfortable :)
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I don't eat breakfast - no I don't think it's important.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast b/c I like to. It helps me get some much needed protein and be more alert in the mornings. But it's not necessary for weight loss.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

Thanks
    No breakfast is not especially important, eating enough food but not to much is important. If eating breakfast causes you issues with that, then stop eating breakfast.

"breakfast is the most important meal of the day" is something we tell children so that they will eat their breakfast.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I usually only eat two meals a day. I consume my 'fast breaking' meal about three to four hours after I wake up because I'm almost never hungry in the mornings. On the rare occasion I am, I'll eat something small. I've lost 113 pounds. I'm just one more example that the whole "eat breakfast to kick-start your metabolism" BS is exactly that, BS. If you're not hungry at 'breakfast time' don't have breakfast.
  • jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big breakfast fan. I like a small snack in the morning, although if it weren't for the kids, I'd probably wait until a bit later in the day.

I eat a little in the morning as an example because I do think it's important for my kids to eat something before school - not to kickstart their metabolism or any other guff, but because they then CAN'T eat until morning tea time, and experience (of my own children) tells me they will get hungry before then, and they also don't eat a lot then because they'd rather go and play....so bottom line, even though I don't strictly believe it, I tell my kids it is important to eat breakfast (sorry world, I am perpetuating the breakfast myth).

My actual underlying belief if that it's important to fuel your body. We all have to work with our own lifestyles, so if breakfast works, go for it, If it doesn't work, that's fine too.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,431 Member
    Options
    I never liked the taste or smell of food in the morning BUT I started making a shake in our nutribullit several months ago & I feel SO much better all day. It's perfect for me because it's not solid food
  • Babs2Baby
    Babs2Baby Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I have never been a breakfast person. I just eat when I feel hungry. Normally I have big dinners so that might be contributing to that. If I eat breakfast I get a stomach ache and then around 12 I'm hungry again. It's kind of annoying. Just listen to your body when you're REALLY hungry. Normally I don't eat until 2pm, I guess that's what I get for being a night owl. lol. But like many people are saying, it's not about time its about what you put in your body and how much of it.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,431 Member
    Options
    sorry, forgot to add that i was really hungry by lunch so i over ate but now i'm not very hungry so it's easier to intentionally eat what's good for me & to stay within my limit AND i found it's much easier to stay/live on this calorie deficit if i eat every so many hours & not let myself get hungry
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

Thanks

How early you eat in the morning is 100% preference.

For me? Try and pry that breakfast out of my cold dead hands....and I will come back to life. :D
  • kathyegging
    kathyegging Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Eating in the morning kicks off you metabolism, eat a small breakfast so in an hour you can have small snack like some almonds. Then in an 1 hour or so it will be time for lunch, as small lunch, then afternoon snack, then dinner then evening snack. You'll have to plan and keep everything small and with in your regiment however your insulin level will remain steady and if you watch what you eat your metabolism should increase, thus losing weight. Its very difficult to do 6 small meals I have problems if I don't plan them. I keep a jar of almonds and trail mix as a snack like a small palm size (SMALL)
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Breakfast makes me hungrier throughout the day, so I wait until dinner time to eat. Much better for me as I tend to naturally eat later anyway.