Psych meds and making this work.

Options
crackpotbaby
crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
I'm at breaking point with my weight.

Over the last 3yrs psych meds have messed with my metabolism and motivation.

I would love to hear from anyone who has managed to get back to their 'pre medication' weight while complying with pharmaceutical mental health treatment.

In particular, I would love to chat with anyone who has consistently lost weight on lithium.

This app has helped me in the past. It might be a little easier with support from others dealing with the same weight gaining medications though.

Replies

• crackpotbaby
    Options
    ... and please no well meaning comments in the ilk of 'just stop taking the medication'. Unfortunately, the real world just doesn't work that way.
  • Southernb3lle
    Southernb3lle Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Hi. I can't say that i have experience on losing weight whilst taking lithium but I have been on Paxil for years. I also suffer with hypothyroidism that I am on medication for. It takes a lot of work for me to lose the weight but it can be done. The only thing that I can suggest is just to start...take it day by day. Make sure to log your food, drink lots of water, and get exercise in. Just watching what you eat isnt enough sometimes unfortunately. The physical activity makes all the difference..even if its just walking. Find what works best for you.
    I've managed to go from 216 to 150 over a couple years. I took my time with it. Afterall, when it comes down to it, its more about making a lifestyle change.
    I don't know if i was any help but hopefully I gave some advice that may help. Feel free to add me as a friend if you like. :)
  • crackpotbaby
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. I went from being a very fit 53kg to gaining 13kg due to meds. I'm currently at 63kg. It's borderline overweight for my height but it's not me.

I'm really struggling with getting back into working out as everytime I do the nausea I get from lithium is amplified and I develop a noticeable tremor. I've started back up again, but it kills me that I can't work out at the intensity I used to.

My motivation feels squashed as well. I can't tell if that's me or the drugs.

• Southernb3lle
    Southernb3lle Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Just take it one day at a time. :)
  • crackpotbaby
    Options
    @138shades thanks for your opinion. I am a registered nurse myself, with quite a bit of pharmaceutical education. Side effects ARE part of the medication's effect so I'm not sure what your point is in saying it's the side effect not the med.

I'm also not sure how by this brief post you feel you can offer insight to what I do and don't take responsibility for in my life.
  • crackpotbaby
    Options
    I think you obviously have very poor education on this topic. I suggest if you would like to meaningfully contribute to this post then you should perhaps at a minimum read some of the side effect profiles of these types of medications.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    138shades wrote: »
    lizery wrote: »
    @138shades thanks for your opinion. I am a registered nurse myself, with quite a bit of pharmaceutical education. Side effects ARE part of the medication's effect so I'm not sure what your point is in saying it's the side effect not the med.

I'm also not sure how by this brief post you feel you can offer insight to what I do and don't take responsibility for in my life.
    relax now......in a simple way I was saying MEDICATION does not cause weight gain. It's the behavior and choices you do while you are on them that causes weight gain.

If I can eat 1500 cals a day..........I can take whatever medication I want and eat the 1500 and be fine. What people complain about is they lose motivation to exercise or move and they don't adjust their calories for their activity level which can become sedentary because of side effects.

I think you obviously have very poor education on this topic. I suggest if you would like to meaningfully contribute to this post then you should perhaps at a minimum read some of the side effect profiles of these types of medications.

This is what I thought as well. It is the behaviors and the eating changes the medications influence in the person that cause weight gain not the medications alone. Where are you seeing something differently?
  • crackpotbaby
    Options
    I made this post to seek support from people battling with similar contributing factors not to argue with someone that thinks all weight loss is CI vs CO.

If you want to argue against clinical research go ahead. I'll concentrate my efforts elsewhere.

Your 'trying to help' is actually quite demeaning and displays complete lack of understanding of the ways in which many psych drugs directly and - yes - indirectly cause weight gain.

I've used this app privately many times over many years. This is the first time I have posted in the forums. I'm not going to bother again. I was hoping for understanding not belittling comments denying the impact of this class of medications on weight gain/loss.

Good luck with your weight loss journey. I hope you never have the misfortune of being placed on lithium or and of the first or second generation antipsychotics. It sure would be a hard shock realising how wrong you are in disregarding the ways these drugs affect hormonal regulation, metabolism and fat storage.

• utahshelly
    utahshelly Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi there! Just curious if you have tried switching medications? I've been on several, and finally found a combination that makes me feel SO much better. I know the feeling of being so depressed about weight... It's so much harder to deal with when you have a mental disorder... Best of luck!
  • benjaminhk
    benjaminhk Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I'm failing to see how any of these responses are demeaning or belittling.
  • onecatleadstoanother
    Options
    My meds haven't contributed to my weight gain but if you want a depression support buddy I'm here
  • Twevil123
    Twevil123 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Well I can confidently say my antidepressants and anxiety medication HAS fully contributed to my 3 stone weight gain in 18 months !!! My apoettite and what I was eating and work never changed so I know its the medication, however I did change one of the medication after a lot of research I found it to renowned for weight gain even in the most active people so I'm with you on this one! I have changed the medication and my circumstances have changed ie not working anymore and not active but my weight has maintained the 3 stone had already gone on before this change before any one comments so I'm also looking for friendship and advice to help me though this weight loss ☺
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    138shades wrote: »

I've lost 150lbs.....I have 5 degrees and completing my licensure. 15yrs of work experience and currently on psych meds myself for anxiety.

Very poor education on this topic for sure.

I was trying to help and I guess you don't like accountability.

I've worked on research on side effects of medications during medical school as well. Not quite as long as you have, but you are right. It is the physiological changes that cause someone to physically at more. You cannot argue with CI vs CO. The research shows that patients do indeed gain weight, but it is because of eating more than usual. If you could take medication that would pack on the pounds, we would be giving it to starving children in other countries.

OP no one was trying to demean you, I used to think the same thing before I really understood how the weight gain happens. It wasn't until I did a lot of reading and my own work on the topic that I understood exactly how the weight gain happens. I am on antidepressants myself and did gain weight on them, but it was only because I was eating more. (I denied that I was eating more at the time and blamed it on the medications, I was so sure I was still eating the same amount)
  • AnnyisOK
    AnnyisOK Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I've dealt with crippling social anxiety for as long as I can remember. I "managed" it pretty okay without any medication throughout my teens and 20s because I didn't know about about anxiety, everyone kept telling me I'm just shy and I'll get over it and that's what I thought. So into my twenties when I still haven't "gotten over it" I started to wonder what was wrong with me. It wasn't until my early 30s and during my annual physical that I brought it up with my doctor and he said I had general anxiety. Made several recommendations for me if I didn't want to take medication and I tried that for a while. Didn't help. Job also didn't help my anxiety level. I started off with Celexa and gained quite a good amount of weight. Switched to Prozac, coupled with daily exercise and that's helped. I've lost about 50 lbs and kept it off. I went from being on edge all the time and not being able to be around ppl without getting irritable, to a version of myself I never thought was possible. I'm more social (still introverted), more active in all aspects of my life and much happier and healthier both mentally and physically. I'm not at that point where I feel comfortable enough that I'm weening myself off (after speaking with my doctor).

So medication can be helpful it's just a matter of finding out which ones work for you.