Wish I knew about this potential problem

Options

Replies

• icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »
    What about B12 deficiency? This can cause nerve problems. I have never heard of this and I would think with all of the people who have lost significant weight on here there would be someone else who shares this problem if it was that common.

I take b12 every day. It's compression on the nerve, more of a mechanical issue.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of this as a specific problem although clearly if you lose fat you are losing some of the protective padding around your musculature, nervous system and bones. Mostly what I have heard (and experienced) is related to feeling colder in the cold and being a little less comfortable sitting on hard things. Haven't experienced anything like nerve damage.
  • icemom011
    Options
    MommyMeggo wrote: »
    Foot drop is a gait abnormality in which the dropping of the forefoot happens due to weakness, irritation or damage to the common fibular nerve including the sciatic nerve, or paralysis of the muscles in the anterior portion of the lower leg. It is usually a symptom of a greater problem, not a disease in itself.

Causes
    By Mayo Clinic Staff
    Foot drop is caused by weakness or paralysis of the muscles involved in lifting the front part of the foot. The underlying causes of foot drop are varied and may include:

Nerve injury. The most common cause of foot drop is compression of a nerve in your leg that controls the muscles involved in lifting the foot. This nerve can also be injured during hip or knee replacement surgery, which may cause foot drop. A nerve root injury ("pinched nerve") in the spine can also cause foot drop. People who have diabetes are more susceptible to nerve disorders, which are associated with foot drop.

Muscle or nerve disorders. Various forms of muscular dystrophy, an inherited disease that causes progressive muscle weakness, may contribute to foot drop. Other disorders, such as polio or Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease, also can cause foot drop.

Brain and spinal cord disorders. Disorders that affect the spinal cord or brain — such as amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), multiple sclerosis or stroke — may cause foot drop.

Edit: I dont know what this has to do with nerve damage from weight loss. *shrug* Hope you heal up quickly!

It has to do with compression of the nerve for too long. Shrug away, i guess? But thank you for well wishes. I haven't heard of it until now, when I'm affected. Just a heads up to my fellow mfp community. With love and care. If it helps someone, great. No one needs to learn on their own mistakes, i think. Unless they choose to.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    icemom011 wrote: »
    Foot drop is a gait abnormality in which the dropping of the forefoot happens due to weakness, irritation or damage to the common fibular nerve including the sciatic nerve, or paralysis of the muscles in the anterior portion of the lower leg. It is usually a symptom of a greater problem, not a disease in itself.

Causes
    By Mayo Clinic Staff
    Foot drop is caused by weakness or paralysis of the muscles involved in lifting the front part of the foot. The underlying causes of foot drop are varied and may include:

Nerve injury. The most common cause of foot drop is compression of a nerve in your leg that controls the muscles involved in lifting the foot. This nerve can also be injured during hip or knee replacement surgery, which may cause foot drop. A nerve root injury ("pinched nerve") in the spine can also cause foot drop. People who have diabetes are more susceptible to nerve disorders, which are associated with foot drop.

Muscle or nerve disorders. Various forms of muscular dystrophy, an inherited disease that causes progressive muscle weakness, may contribute to foot drop. Other disorders, such as polio or Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease, also can cause foot drop.

Brain and spinal cord disorders. Disorders that affect the spinal cord or brain — such as amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), multiple sclerosis or stroke — may cause foot drop.

Edit: I dont know what this has to do with nerve damage from weight loss. *shrug* Hope you heal up quickly!

It has to do with compression of the nerve for too long. Shrug away, i guess? But thank you for well wishes. I haven't heard of it until now, when I'm affected. Just a heads up to my fellow mfp community. With love and care. If it helps someone, great. No one needs to learn on their own mistakes, i think. Unless they choose to.

Right, compression of nerves - but why does this come as a result of weight loss? I could be dense today so forgive me - Its Monday part two.
    But isnt this a common thing for anyone with nerves? Who does yard work or sits cross-legged? I was just curious where the weight loss comes into play with damaging nerves. (Not saying you are wrong here just questioning how they are physically related as cause and effect)
    Edit: Im not asking YOU to explain it to me as far as science and physiology are concerned. Its just a broader scope of "how and why".
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »
    What about B12 deficiency? This can cause nerve problems. I have never heard of this and I would think with all of the people who have lost significant weight on here there would be someone else who shares this problem if it was that common.

I take b12 every day. It's compression on the nerve, more of a mechanical issue.

OK. I haven't heard about it before in relation to normal weight loss. Hope you heal quickly!
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I teach techniques that are meant to target nerves ("pressure point control") for pain compliance and restraint.
    I also used to work along side a neurologist while teaching said techniques; I've never heard of this.
    It is true that more body fat (or muscle, clothing or anything else) may provide more cushion or protection against anything "attacking" a nerve cluster, but I do not see how being thinner makes a person more susceptible to nerve damage.

If you have a structural problem causing some sort of nerve issue then that is not the same reason as you lost "a lot of weight".
    More likely, being overweight caused structural issues that were not obvious until you lost the weight.

Discomfort from pinching or hitting a nerve (i.e. "funny bone") more often because you are thin is not the same thing as nerve damage.

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -- Inigo Montoya
  • icemom011
    Options

Causes
    By Mayo Clinic Staff

Right, compression of nerves - but why does this come as a result of weight loss? I could be dense today so forgive me - Its Monday part two.
    But isnt this a common thing for anyone with nerves? Who does yard work or sits cross-legged? I was just curious where the weight loss comes into play with damaging nerves. (Not saying you are wrong here just questioning how they are physically related as cause and effect)
    Edit: Im not asking YOU to explain it to me as far as science and physiology are concerned. Its just a broader scope of "how and why".

With fat layer diminishing, the nerves are closer to the skin and exposed more than ever before
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I experienced foot drop one time in my life not that long ago. It was from sitting on an overly hard chair in an awkward way for way to long at a buisness conference. When I got up to walk I found I kept tripping over things and my gait felt off. Took me a while to notice I wasn't able to point my toes or lift my foot anymore and that was freaky. Read up on it decided to just give it time. It took 2 weeks before I was able to point my toes again. At this point though everything is fine. Nothing to do with weightloss other than I imagine if I was quite fat perhaps I wouldn't have pinched the nerve on a hard chair.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    now, i de recall losing weight and my legs and side falling asleep on my side at night because i no longer had fat to pad pressure points on my bones. It was weird and worried me. But i never considered it nerve damage. I did notice tingling sometimes in my legs too during the day. I never went to a doctor and it worked itself out.. also i've gained my weight back.. but do wonder if it will happen when I lose again.

So maybe you are being dramatic with your self diagnosis.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options

Causes
    By Mayo Clinic Staff

With fat layer diminishing, the nerves are closer to the skin and exposed more than ever before

So are the bones. Doesnt mean they'll break more easily.

If anything Id guess there would less damage done as the weight comes off, not more.
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Apparently after you lose a lot of weight you have a risk if damaging your nerves. They used to be protected by fat, and when it's gone, they are too close to skin, exposed for potential damage. I have a palsy now, which should be temporary, keeping my fingers crossed, but still. It's no fun at all, limping around, not being able to move rhe way you used to. Driving is an issue as well, since my foot doesn't work. Ughh. And it's all from crouching down for a little too long, pinching nerve and causing nerve damage. Apparently, it's a very common problem after weight loss. Even crossing your legs at the desk can cause palsy. And if one has some underlying issues, like diabetes, their prognosis is much worse. So the lesson is, move around, be careful not to create too much pressure for too long on same area. I wash i was aware of it ahead of time, not after it happened to me. My overall loss is about 64 lbs, from 220 to 156. This disability is quite unexpected for me. Should teke about 6 weeks to go away. Hope it does, can't even imagine living like that. Sorry for the rant, hope it helps someone avoid same situation.
    I would venture that the benefits of achieving a healthy weight would exceed the dangers of damaging your nerves.

• BigTandthesquatters
    BigTandthesquatters Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I had this issue in my forearm and couldn't close my right hand all the way. Doctor said it was from fat loss and was temporary went away after a month. and even though I have continued to lose weight has not been issue since.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Just my thought but probably the fat loss ups the range of motion in the limbs and the nerves have to have time to adjust.

People who have never had to lose a larger amount of weight probably haven't had a limitation of range of motion. ie: crouching, kneeling, crossing legs.

Cheers, h.
  • thatgirl_blue
    thatgirl_blue Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Alidecker wrote: »
    I had foot drop after losing weight, it was caused by crossing my legs so much...something that I couldn't do comfortably before the weight loss. Mine was not serious, it went away in less than a week when I stopped crossing my legs all the time.

Croasing my legs again is a goal of mine. I hope my foot doeant drop! So serious!
  • ekim2016
    ekim2016 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    this topic peeked my interest as I am losing a substantial amount of weight. Then yesterday totally out of the blue I got a left leg weakness and thigh pain that lasted all day long at work. Of course I went into a panic and goggled like crazy only to get more worried as it could be a blood clot or pre stroke condition. Fortunately, it is better today but will be alarmed if it comes back. So I sure hope it is NOT related to weight loss... yikes!
  • icemom011
    Options
    Apparently after you lose a lot of weight you have a risk if damaging your nerves. They used to be protected by fat, and when it's gone, they are too close to skin, exposed for potential damage. I have a palsy now, which should be temporary, keeping my fingers crossed, but still. It's no fun at all, limping around, not being able to move rhe way you used to. Driving is an issue as well, since my foot doesn't work. Ughh. And it's all from crouching down for a little too long, pinching nerve and causing nerve damage. Apparently, it's a very common problem after weight loss. Even crossing your legs at the desk can cause palsy. And if one has some underlying issues, like diabetes, their prognosis is much worse. So the lesson is, move around, be careful not to create too much pressure for too long on same area. I wash i was aware of it ahead of time, not after it happened to me. My overall loss is about 64 lbs, from 220 to 156. This disability is quite unexpected for me. Should teke about 6 weeks to go away. Hope it does, can't even imagine living like that. Sorry for the rant, hope it helps someone avoid same situation.
    I would venture that the benefits of achieving a healthy weight would exceed the dangers of damaging your nerves.

Yes, definitely. I'm finally getting to be my pre kids weight, not ever going to get my younger body, but nevertheless. Of course it's worth it, and it makes us healthier, provided we do it right. Also, as some pointed out, being overweight creates it's own problems with the nervous system. Which is completely true.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    OP thanks for bringing this to our attention!
  • icemom011
    Options
    savithny wrote: »
    The OP is not saying "don't lose weight." The OP is not saying that the risks of this outweigh the risks of staying fat.

But the OP's post might serve as a reminder to people that as you "grow into" your new body image, you need to be aware of ways it's different - that its movements and responses are not what you're accustomed to, and be mindful of your body while you, and it, adjust.

That's correct. Thank you.