Caramel M&M's - a gamechanger?

Options
2»

Replies

• CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    badnoodle wrote: »
    Several years ago, M&Ms experimented with dulce de leche as a filling. It was really, really good as a counterpoint to the chocolate and candy, and I was lucky enough to live in one of their test market areas. I hope that plain caramel is as good.
    I didn't know test market areas for candy existed. Then again, I only learned about fast food test marketing when I started visiting "junk food" blogs.

• 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    an exciting development I'll be following closely.
  • kirstenb13
    kirstenb13 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    cqbkaju wrote: »
    Almost all chocolate in the States has butyric acid (look it up) either added or created as part of the process.
    It tastes really bad to me.
    But wait, it gets better...
    Several manufacturers (including Hershey, Nestlé, and Archer Daniels Midland...) even pushed the FDA to allow the use of vegetable oil instead of cocoa butter in "chocolate candy".
    Read the labels. If it doesn't say cocoa butter then you are eating cooking oil with sugar added.

So if I am going to indulge, I spend a little extra money (50 cents? $1?) and get real chocolate in the 72% cacao range from somewhere overseas.
    Like @Raptor2763 says, I can at least claim some "health benefits" ;)

I never liked "dark chocolate" when I was young because I only tried the vomit-flavored (really, look it up) stuff from Hershey's.
    After having the good stuff, I realize why many people like "dark chocolate".

I don't think most people would even put real chocolate and something like M&Ms in the same category so not sure why you are comparing them. People can enjoy both things, they're really different in my opinion.
    Those M&Ms sound pretty good!
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Raptor2763 wrote: »
    (non-milk) chocolate actually has medicinal properties. carmel? not so much

Who cares? :lol:
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I don't know...it's hard to beat the good ol peanut M&Ms for me. Haven't been too gung ho about the other flavors lately, especially the butterscotch.
    Although, the cherry ones awhile back were nice, so maybe there is hope...
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    gack!! burnt sugar (i.e. caramel) has no appeal to me at all.

caramel is not burnt sugar.. if you burn sugar your burning it thus making it trash.
    you are technically carmalizing it to an amber color and usually the soft ball stage of "candye" making depending on recipie. and then adding heavy cream.
  • Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Cookies n cream ANY day... Ermahgawd yus. PLEASE.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »

caramel is not burnt sugar.. if you burn sugar your burning it thus making it trash.
    you are technically carmalizing it to an amber color and usually the soft ball stage of "candye" making depending on recipie. and then adding heavy cream.

I was going to say this!
    Caramel coloring is made by burning caramel.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Pretzel M&Ms are the best M&Ms
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,653 Member
    Options
    CooCooPuff wrote: »
    Pretzel M&Ms are the best M&Ms

Pretzel m&ms are yummy.

I ended up buying 4 bags of the Boo-terscotch because they were on sale and someone in another thread raved about them but...I forgot I don't like white chocolate or something and they make my teeth hurt. I made it through 1 bag and I'm finishing off another but I really have no desire to dig into those other two bags.

On another note, I was in target today and caramel m&ms were on my mind so I ended up buying the caramel doves and caramel hershey kisses.
  • Hope228
    Hope228 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    CooCooPuff wrote: »
    I need Booterschotch before I pick these up

I bought them & didn't care fir them. They had that weird "fake" taste.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options

If the sugar is burnt, you're doing caramel wrong.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    cqbkaju wrote: »
    Almost all chocolate in the States has butyric acid (look it up) either added or created as part of the process.
    It tastes really bad to me.
    But wait, it gets better...
    Several manufacturers (including Hershey, Nestlé, and Archer Daniels Midland...) even pushed the FDA to allow the use of vegetable oil instead of cocoa butter in "chocolate candy".
    Read the labels. If it doesn't say cocoa butter then you are eating cooking oil with sugar added.

So if I am going to indulge, I spend a little extra money (50 cents? $1?) and get real chocolate in the 72% cacao range from somewhere overseas.
    Like @Raptor2763 says, I can at least claim some "health benefits" ;)

I never liked "dark chocolate" when I was young because I only tried the vomit-flavored (really, look it up) stuff from Hershey's.
    After having the good stuff, I realize why many people like "dark chocolate".

33d.jpg
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    richln wrote: »
    You can claim to be a hyper-palated clean chocolate connoisseur, but I know that both you and Raptor will secretly try them.
    I never claimed to be that (although my wife has said I'm a chocolate snob, which is similar to connoisseur) but I can guarantee I will not try this.
    Anyone who knows me could confirm that. I am my own person.
    Why would I waste probably ~ 150 empty calories on something I might like when I could have something I know I enjoy instead?

What is more important to me? Trying the latest fad or reaching my goals? Easy.